What's new

Network question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevenc152

New Around Here
Hello All,

Been ages since ive worked hands on with hardware,

I have a high traffic home network

5 pcs , few consoles, laptops, tvs with network streaming, wireless devices for streaming and a few odds and ends that use the internet.

Most coming from gaming so low pick and high network traffic routing is what i want.

I bought a high end router, Have a few 4 port switches, nothing fantastic.

I was contemplating buying a cisco switch and routing everything from that out, I can setup cables fine thats not a problem.

Any recomendations or advise on this (I hate programing switches, avoid if i can, happy go to other companies if its a big port switch.

Sorry, but I don't understand your "routing" needs. What is wrong with your current setup?

Hello All,

Been ages since ive worked hands on with hardware,

I have a high traffic home network

5 pcs , few consoles, laptops, tvs with network streaming, wireless devices for streaming and a few odds and ends that use the internet.

Most coming from gaming so low pick and high network traffic routing is what i want.

I bought a high end router, Have a few 4 port switches, nothing fantastic.

I was contemplating buying a cisco switch and routing everything from that out, I can setup cables fine thats not a problem.

Any recomendations or advise on this (I hate programing switches, avoid if i can, happy go to other companies if its a big port switch.

They first order question you have is what speed your ISP actually provides in the busy hour, and what delay/latency your Internet-based gaming servers have.

Fiddling with layer 2 switches is # 99 on the issue list.

Just addressing that he doesn't need all the things he has mentioned. An RT-N66U should handle everything he has. Plus be cheaper then buying a few switches. I'm with Tim he hasn't addressed his needs in full.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!