What's new

Network set up for semi-noob

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AgentSmith

New Around Here
*If this is the wrong forum please move to appropriate one.

I've had a small network for many years that I fumbled through the set up and some how made it work myself. It consists of older hardware & software that was used for mostly business productivity purposes and has served my needs to this point. BUT... I'm cutting the cord now and will be streaming to two android TV boxes and running two wifi tablets on to the network. At this point I've updated to a new faster/stronger router and through this process I'm realizing that I most likely need to re-configure the whole network to make it as secure as possible now that I'll have much more traffic on it and components that have a much higher probability of being hacked/hijacked/spywear/probed/malwear/etc

Here's what I'm working with Wan Side:
-Cable ISP -100/15mbs,
-ISP provided modem -300mbs
-ASUS RT-AC68U (AC1750) currently running FW version 382.1881 (looking at going to 384.10007)
-Linksys 10/100 switch (has Cisco algorithms or something)

LAN Side:
-Windows Server (performing DHCP)
-Two Windows XP pro workstations
-2 Wifi Tablets (android 4.4 & 5.5)
-2 Wifi Android TV boxes (7.1)

I believe I need the most help with LAN side IP adressing structure for the modem, router, server, workstatons, & tablets and especially WAN side port closing on the router in order to secure the network better.

1) Is there some website, advice, or posts that you can point me to to learn about what they are, how they work with each other and how to best structure my DHCP,Gateway,Subnetmask,DNS, across my network for security and speed?

2) How to check and close down any open ports on my router, I'm not seeing anything in the GUI?

Thanks
Stuck In The Matrix

Last edited:
*If this is the wrong forum please move to appropriate one.

I've had a small network for many years that I fumbled through the set up and some how made it work myself. It consists of older hardware & software that was used for mostly business productivity purposes and has served my needs to this point. BUT... I'm cutting the cord now and will be streaming to two android TV boxes and running two wifi tablets on to the network. At this point I've updated to a new faster/stronger router and through this process I'm realizing that I most likely need to re-configure the whole network to make it as secure as possible now that I'll have much more traffic on it and components that have a much higher probability of being hacked/hijacked/spywear/probed/malwear/etc

Here's what I'm working with Wan Side:
-Cable ISP -100/15mbs,
-ISP provided modem -300mbs
-ASUS RT-AC68U (AC1750) currently running FW version 382.1881 (looking at going to 384.10007)
-Linksys 10/100 switch (has Cisco algorithms or something)

LAN Side:
-Windows Server (performing DHCP)
-Two Windows XP pro workstations
-2 Wifi Tablets (android 4.4 & 5.5)
-2 Wifi Android TV boxes (7.1)

I believe I need the most help with LAN side IP adressing structure for the modem, router, server, workstatons, & tablets and especially WAN side port closing on the router in order to secure the network better.

1) Is there some website, advice, or posts that you can point me to to learn about what they are, how they work with each other and how to best structure my DHCP,Gateway,Subnetmask,DNS, across my network for security and speed?

2) How to check and close down any open ports on my router, I'm not seeing anything in the GUI?

Thanks
Stuck In The Matrix

You have 2 XP machines and 2 Android TV boxes (hopefully not running pirated content). Bad guys are already inside your network.

Before you worry about your network architecture you should update to supported software. Once you do that, factory reset your networking devices and update those to the latest firmware. Security is usually about the basics.

Thanks Ralph, I'm sure it's better than what I have now.

Can you point me to some instrucitons/directions on how I can do this?

Thanks