What's new

New AC86U - how to open ports?!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Big_AL

Occasional Visitor
Got my new AC86U today, it's replacing my old AC87U. Off the bat - it's fantasic - I can't believe the huge jump in perfomance even on the latest stock FW. Like night and day. I used to get speeds of about 20Mbps at the end of my garden, I now get close to line speed of my ISP.....like 204Mps - truly amazing. It seems to bash through the walls of my old victorian brick house effortlessly.

All good execpt for the fact that I cannot open ports - 88 and 80 for my IP cameras. I have applied the same settings in my portforwading config in the new AC86U - rebooted countless times, to no avaial. Has anyone got any hints for me please?

Last edited:
Got my new AC86U today, it's replacing my old AC87U. Off the bat - it's fantasic - I can't believe the huge jump in perfomance even on the latest stock FW. Like night and day. I used to get speeds of about 20Mbps at the end of my garden, I now get close to line speed of my ISP.....like 204Mps - truly amazing. It seems to bash through the walls of my old victorian brick house effortlessly.

All good execpt for the fact that I cannot open ports - 88 and 80 for my IP cameras. I have applied the same settings in my portforwading config in the new AC86U - rebooted countless times, to no avaial. Has anyone got any hints for me please?

I don't know, but I'm wondering if UPnP must be disabled. And cycle power on the cams for good measure just to chase away any new network gremlins.

Good to hear you like the 86U... I can pickup up a tiny 2.4 connection from about a 1/4 mile away if the wind is right.

OE

Thanks for the reply - I managed to experiment with other ports and found some that worked so all good!

Thanks for the reply - I managed to experiment with other ports and found some that worked so all good!

That may make sense... aren't low ports likely already assigned and used for something? 80 for the web http and 88 for Kerberos(?)

OE

Must be, I used some very obscre numbers and it seemed to work

I've never opened ports. I guess if you open a port, security now depends on the network client using that port?

OE

It would depend on the network server running on that port.

Which could be a simple IoT device like a camera?

Sorry for the basic question... I should go read up on this! :)

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!