What's new

New Router Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tommyrepka

New Around Here
Apologies if this isn't the place to post this but I'm a little lost and looking for a quick bit of advice.

I need a new router primarily for VPN. I may change provider but for the moment I'll likely use NordVPN as I already have a sub that isn't due to expire for a few months. Ideally I'd like to probably use 2 different servers (US and Canada) at the same time and range isn't really an issue but of course speed is as this will mostly be for streaming.

At the moment I'm looking at the AC86U or possibly the AX5400. I'm told AX5400 has VPN Fusion which may be of use though looking into it that just looks like it provides similar functionality as Merlin anyway?

Grateful for any advice!

I just bought the AX86U, based on the almost unanimous opinion in this forum. I'm quite happy with it!

Thanks. Looking at the AX86u as well but it's probably a tad more than I was planning on spending, hence why I was perhaps going to settle for something like the AX86s or the AC86U

The AC class routers are not worth buying today.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

Even a single RT-AX68U easily outperformed 2x RT-AC86Us.

Don't buy based on model numbers. The specifics/details are more important.
Thanks for this. I think I'm going to go for the AX-86s as that seems to cover most of what I need. Not sure if multiple VPN locations are supported however with existing firmware or whether it supports wireguard as yet on beta versions.

I've bought the Asus TUF Gaming AX5400 primarly for VPN and works fine to watch streaming services outside of your geolocation zone. VPN Fusion works ok to let you change between servers. Be aware that you must use openvpn and that is not a fast protocol. With this router, my internet speeds goes down from 120mbs to 51 mbs with the openvpn connection on and lower as the servers are geolocated fartest from me. Also, the Asus router app doesn't support the vpn so you would be to make your changes in settings from the web gui. The good news is that the RC (or beta) for this router supports Wireguard, a faster vpn protocol, so I hope in some months, WG will be finally available to use on Asus routers as an option.