What's new

New router and wired AP system...what would you pick??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobn4burton

New Around Here
So my current router (Asus RT-AC66U) is slowly dying (I think). A little over a year ago, I started losing internet connectivity. I couldn't even load the Asus router page, it just gave an error page...something like "settings have been updated. web page will now refresh..." For no apparent reason, I'd lose connectivity to the internet (both wired and wireless) and when trying to load the Asus router web page, I'd just get this gray screen with the error text.
This was only happening about once or twice a year...until the last few months. It's been steadily getting worse...with it happening about twice a week now. I have to power cycle the router to recover.

Long story short...I think I need a new router.
I have tons of Cat6 wiring (and easy access to add more if needed) and from what I've read, the best system would be a router plus AP's.

So looking for recommendations on what router/AP combination is everyone's favorite? I'd like to keep the whole system less than $500 at most.
My house is 3500 sq ft, 2 levels. Even when my router is working...I get pretty slow speeds on a couple of the rooms and can barely stream Netflix/Plex/etc. So hoping the AP's will solve that issue...

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

That is easy. Cisco small business gear which is what I run. Buy a RV340 router for $150 and spend the rest on Cisco WAP371 wireless APs off eBay for around $60 each. I would start with 2. Add a 3rd if you need it.

The Cisco APs use POE+ power to run them. I don't know what you have for a switch.

Hard wire everything that doesn't have to be wireless. Then do what Coxhaus suggests above. Use high power (30 watt) third party injectors for poe with those APs so you can run wide bands for max throughput. Depending what the house layout looks like, you may need a third AP for 5GHz AC. 2.4GHz should not be an issue. You may have to reduce the power level in fact.

You will also help your overall throughput if you can put devices that need to talk to each other on a switch rather than through the router. Layer 3 switch helpful, particularly if you need to implement vlans in the future.

Hmm...two votes for Cisco gear. I hadn't even been looking at or considering Cisco stuff, guess I'll need to do consider it...

I am planning to use a Zyxel GS1910-24 managed switch...which I've had for a while. Hopefully that works OK.

Router and ap would need to support at same level if you needed vlans implemented. Most home lans don't require them.

You might just need a new router power supply.

If you depend on ASUS features, get an RT-AC86U. Start with one Ethernet-connected AP in the weak signal area and go from there. AC1200 class is fine. Check here for rankings.