What's new

NextDNS Installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fine for me. I'm using the official apps in my Apple devices and the script for my Asus Router.
Are you not using the script for your Asus router?
Using apps it connects to Portugal server. Anycast isn't supported yet, as they're looking for a better partner here.

@Olivier Poitrey - thanks for the NextDNS - truly useful service and very nicely integrated.

• I have been intermittently using the NextDNS macOS App and seems to be working really well.
  • Today I decided to install the AsusWRT client.
  • I can see many screenshots/questions regarding what settings should be set at the WAN page.
  • I also saw few recommendations from @RMerlin regarding DNS entries / no DNS will only cause issues - which it definitely makes sense.
  • Given the two need to co-exist, can you please provide the recommended WAN settings on the first page so that everyone follows what you recommend or how NextDNS is supposed to work with AsusWRT?

Once again, thanks for NextDNS!

Cheers,
Ivan

After updating to the latest version my log is filling with this messages:

nextdns[416]: Discovery: clientList: : invalid format: missing item separator

Any idea whats wrong?

KR, Chris

After updating to the latest version my log is filling with this messages:

nextdns[416]: Discovery: clientList: : invalid format: missing item separator

Any idea whats wrong?

KR, Chris
What firmware version? What’s the output of this command:
Code:
nvram get custom_clientlist
Does it start with a < character?

What firmware version?
Router firmware didn't change, 384.16. But nextdns got updated yesterday, 1.5.2.

What’s the output of this command:
Code:
nvram get custom_clientlist
Does it start with a < character?
No, it's empty at all:
Code:
admin@router:/tmp/home/root# nvram get custom_clientlist

admin@router:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep clientlist
custom_clientlist=
Maybe because I never made a custom clientlist, seems like this situation is not handled properly with the latest nextdns update?

Router firmware didn't change, 384.16. But nextdns got updated yesterday, 1.5.2.

No, it's empty at all:
Code:
admin@router:/tmp/home/root# nvram get custom_clientlist

admin@router:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep clientlist
custom_clientlist=
Maybe because I never made a custom clientlist, seems like this situation is not handled properly with the latest nextdns update?
Is it empty or just blanks (non-empty)? Try
Code:
nvram get custom_clientlist > nvclientlist.txt
nvram set custom_clientlist=
nvram commit
ls -l nvclientlist.txt
The file size is hopefully no larger than 1 byte.

Well, better to report the bug to get it fixed for everyone, not only me. :) Will see how to do this on github, never used before. Thank you for helping investigate the cause!

Maybe Olivier also reads it in this thread.

Hi. Another happy user from Portugal here. Thanks @Olivier Poitrey for the awesome service.

During the evening my Asus router reports traceroute pings over 141 ms to Madrid server. The lag is sometimes noticeable, is there something I can do? Perhaps increase the router's DNS cache?

The cli should go to the portugal server. Why are you tracerouting madrid?

Well, better to report the bug to get it fixed for everyone, not only me. :) Will see how to do this on github, never used before. Thank you for helping investigate the cause!

Maybe Olivier also reads it in this thread.

It’s always better to report issues on github. I don’t always get notifications from this forum.

What's the benefit of installing the service with installer on the router versus changing dnsmasq.conf and stubby.yml as instructed in the setup page? Cache?

BTW, when I used the nextdns service, from time to time google.com just become unresolved until like 10 seconds passed or manually restart the service. Never happened again after I uninstall the service. I suppose the caching has some bug? Is it known issue?

with that dns and doT option, with stubby, I receive many warning in my router's log about possible dns rebind attack.... It was not like that with the other dns resolvers. I think the cause is about the next dns setup page, in config, there is a protection against rebind.....

The service seems to work well... apart from the blocking of proxy sites to bypass it. I tested 10 sites and 9 of them were allowed through. This could be solved quite easily if you allowed wildcards in the blacklist section as all 10 sites had the words 'unblock' or 'proxy' in the domain name. I think I'd need to use something in addition - an extra layer - that supports this.

Please use GitHub issues tracker, as Olivier said, he doesn't come here often.