What's new

NextDNS Installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One question to the caching feature of the nextdns-client. I enabled the cache with following options:

cache-max-age 0s
cache-size 10MB
max-ttl 5m0s

But I still see regular queries in shorter intervals than 5 min coming from my clients in the logs (tried with max-ttl 30m0s also but doesn't change anything).

What's wrong with this setup, or is it working as expected (clients served from cache but nextdns-client forwards query for logging reasons to nextdns-servers)?

KR, Chris

I already saw that (and enabled it) but afaik it should be the same like the max-ttl setting inside the dns-client config - serve clients with min-ttl of 5min even it it was lower.

One question to the caching feature of the nextdns-client. I enabled the cache with following options:

cache-max-age 0s
cache-size 10MB
max-ttl 5m0s

But I still see regular queries in shorter intervals than 5 min coming from my clients in the logs (tried with max-ttl 30m0s also but doesn't change anything).

What's wrong with this setup, or is it working as expected (clients served from cache but nextdns-client forwards query for logging reasons to nextdns-servers)?

KR, Chris

I have the same experience and use the exact same config/setup. Let's hope @Olivier Poitrey have an answer :)

cache-max-age 0s
cache-size 10MB
max-ttl 5m0s

KR, Chris
Aren’t you forcing the upstream queries because you have set cache-max-age to zero? Like having no cache?

From the manual I assume that 0 means "keep in cache for original ttl", while every other value would force the cache to keep them shorter.

-cache-max-age duration
If set to greater than 0, a cached entry will be considered stall after
this duration, even if the record's TTL is higher.

From the manual I assume that 0 means "keep in cache for original ttl", while every other value would force the cache to keep them shorter.

-cache-max-age duration
If set to greater than 0, a cached entry will be considered stall after
this duration, even if the record's TTL is higher.
Thanks. I couldn’t find the definition in their wiki anymore.

^^^ I assume this new cache function is implemented in the NextDNS client installed on the router... so a manual install is a no-go. ? Thanks!

Anyone else having resolve issues with NextDNS this AM? I had to remove my paid setup on the WAN page and replace it with Clouldflare / Quad 9 to restore DNS. It's been stable for months. Also, when I checked my "setup page" in NextDNS, it appears to have changed the addresses to use. So now the setup instructions show two different addresses, the older one and some new address. I've also noticed the "custom" setup instructions for Windows, Routers, etc.. are informing me to "make these changes" to stubby.yml, ... using the older address vs what the IPV4 box is showing - very strange. I don't have time to mine further right now - family is up and we all need to get to work remotely.

(Paid) NextDNS still working fine.

IP addresses on their website are still the same as the ones I have configured on the WAN page (DNS server 1/2) of my router.

Don't see any changes in the stubby configuration either (though I use their CLI client since stubby was not working for me).

^^^ Thanks for checking!

Mine definitely changed from yesterday to this AM. I've got screen caps.

Yeah, I did the manual configuration while they were working on the client which has been working for 6+ months without a hiccup until today when I had to put QUAD 9 and CloudFlare back in play.

I've been thinking of using their setup client but with AMTM in play, I'm hesitant of breaking something with pixelserv, skynet, etc.. THANKS!

They definitely change the ipv4 addresses for some users.
Mine was *.*.*.0 and they changed it a couple of weeks ago to *.*.*.60

They are still working on some things and I think that was one of them.

Yeap, same thing only mine was *.*.*.0 and got shifted to *.*.*.114 sometime early AM. Hmm.. didn't like the no warning for sure. TY for confirming!!
I think since I'm NOT using their client, I have to go edit at least 2 files in the manual setup.. with the right #'s now. The "examples" on your custom sign in page reference both the new *.*.*.xxx and also still show the older *.*.*.yyy in the examples. A bit rough on uptake.

Last edited:
They definitely change the ipv4 addresses for some users.
Mine was *.*.*.0 and they changed it a couple of weeks ago to *.*.*.60

They are still working on some things and I think that was one of them.

We did not change any addresses. Keep in mind that each of your configurations have different addresses.

A .0 address is an addressed used for DoT or DoH. You will never get a .0 to be used with Linked IP.

We did not change any addresses. Keep in mind that each of your configurations have different addresses.

A .0 address is an addressed used for DoT or DoH. You will never get a .0 to be used with Linked IP.
So it was a bug that was corrected on website, because my ipv4 linked ip servers definitly changed from 45.90.28.0 and 45.90.30.0 to 45.90.28.60 and 45.90.30.60

I run the NextDNS router client. It is the best way to use their service. It just works.....

The primary benefit is if I use their DNS settings on the router in the WAN section, it may use a dns server that is not the closest to my location. The client seems able to better determine the closest server which gives me quicker lookups. I had been running unbound and am satisfied with the performance. I also like Diversion, which I recently installed. The real plus for the NextDNS service is it is very easy to use and customize to my needs. The other is, it removes extra processing loads off the router. I went ahead and purchased a year subscription to NDNS I like it that much.

@Smokey613, sorry, I meant the benefits of NextDNS in general? :)

The primary benefit is if I use their DNS settings on the router in the WAN section, it may use a dns server that is not the closest to my location. The client seems able to better determine the closest server which gives me quicker lookups. I had been running unbound and am satisfied with the performance. I also like Diversion, which I recently installed. The real plus for the NextDNS service is it is very easy to use and customize to my needs. The other is, it removes extra processing loads off the router. I went ahead and purchased a year subscription to NDNS I like it that much.
And you can take it with you when you're away from home with their mobile apps.