What's new

NextDNS Installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It looks like the TTL is 60 seconds, so I don't understand why I get more than 200K lookups in the NextDNS logs on a single day.

Will next dns be able to block ads served over SSL?

Their web interface is indeed really nice.

In general I don’t like subscriptions that much, but this might be one I would consider, if I get it working properly on all my devices,
Once it's out of beta, what will the subscription fee be monthly? I might just stick to the free services out there but we'll see.

When they go out of beta, NextDNS will be free "up until about 300,000 DNS queries/month": https://nextdns.io/pricing

I had no clue how soon I would reach that limit, but I just discovered that the Raspberry Pi which is fetching data from my smart electricity meter and uploading that to an Athom Homey is reaching that amount, in a single day...

Shouldn't the router cache that DNS entry? (why are they all calls to NextDNS?)
I am running NextDNS since 1 month with 700 000 queries in total (10% rejection rate).

Interesting solution. having a play with it at the moment. Using it for my synology NAS and mobile devices. not keen to install on my router until we have better integration with Diversion.

Interesting solution. having a play with it at the moment. Using it for my synology NAS and mobile devices. not keen to install on my router until we have better integration with Diversion.
how well and what features do you like about it so far? what have you tested?

how well and what features do you like about it so far? what have you tested?
Still early days, just having a quick look. at the moment, for me;
  1. having the rules i define apply even when the device is off the home network is brilliant. its been a pain point and nextdns seems to have a good approach here.
  2. the web console is clean and easy to understand and setup.
  3. their are a variety of options to apply the ruleset, from specifying dns servers / private dns to installing clients.
still some work to be done in some areas with usability, as in easy replication of whitelists across network configurations, filtering of clients reports etc. no doubt this should improve as its still beta.

Not exactly. We are still working on the details. The idea is to find a simple and fair solution so our users are not penalized by a malfunctioning IoT device on their network while still measuring usage.
Good luck there, all said and done it may just be easier to pay the 1.99, maybe add an option where the user could choose to exclude queries of an IoT devices but in effect lose out on logging analytics and set a limit to exclusions Per configuration. I'd still rather just pay the 1.99 truth be told.

I’ll probably end up paying for the server without this IoT device anyway...

If I go for DoH instead of DoT will PC software that interacts with SSL traffic (things like virus scanners or Adguard) interfere with DNS traffic?

(Slow it down or even block it?)

If I get this working on the router I want to disable it on my MacBook (and I probably even need to disable it at work). The iOS App allows excluding the fake VPN (that sets the DNS server) om selected networks. Unfortunately, I don’t see that in the macOS App.

Is this not possible (yet?) on macOS?

In the "Top Devices" part of the analytics, is there anyway to have them report or change to more friendly names? I loved that about Diversion and the stats. So yes I realize I can install the NextDNS app on devices and have it report the name but that I don't want to do that for every device, every device I have isn't supported and that kind of defeats the purpose of running this at the router level. Most of my devices never leave the house.

I guess in the "How to Identify Your Devices" section I don't understand where I would put those URL endpoints at all. (append or prepend)

Thanks for this service I'm enjoying testing it out.