What's new

NextDNS Installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Smokey613, so you bought NextDNS and now you stopped using it? I thought you loved it?

I can’t seem to help myself, I missed looking at the NextDNS logs so I have gone back to NDNS. I guess that is the hazard of being retired and besides, no use in wasting my subscription. :)

I'm proud to announce NextDNS is now officially supporting Merlin. You can find the installation procedure on our Github Wiki.

We are also working with @RMerlin to add a UI to this integration. Stay tuned.

You can post your questions or concerns to this thread or contact us directly through our support chat on https://nextdns.io.

Enjoy and happy new year.

Hi,

What about using dnscrypt proxy v2 with your dns servers (DoH) with stamp in toml file vs your installer?

Thanks

For me it's 1.6.3, which is the latest on GitHub:

Code:
> nextdns version
nextdns version 1.6.3

I tried to uninstall NextDNS from the router. Ran the script and uninstalled. After that clients fail to resolve DNS. I ran the script again, reinstalled NextDNS, and the clients started working. How to remove it?

I tried to uninstall NextDNS from the router. Ran the script and uninstalled. After that clients fail to resolve DNS. I ran the script again, reinstalled NextDNS, and the clients started working. How to remove it?

It should just restore the resolution. Does it still fail if you reboot the router after uninstall?

Tried it, liked it , and subscribed! Is it possible to make log's and analytics options survive when refreshing the webpage?
For example in analytics page I want to choose a specific device and when I refresh the page I want it to stick and not revert to "All Devices" , the same for Log's- I want to enable "blocked only" and when I refresh the page I want it to stick. Is it possible?

Thanks

^^^ Ditto on having the pages not reset. Every time I refresh, the page resets to a 30 day view - quite irritating. Having been a beta tester for months, I joined the paid subscribers a couple of weeks back. Even though I run AMTM/Diversion/Pixel/Skynet/... I still use this. Stats show NextDNS is blocking about 7% of all the local packages and blocking groups I'm using allow to pass + I have NextDNS on my mobile. Yes, I know I could setup a VPN back into my home router. At this time, I do not want to complicate that little AC86's life anymore - at least not yet. Things are stable. The family is not complaining. Mama is happy, that's peace. ;)

Last edited:
@Olivier Poitrey is it possible to use nextdns service, with encrypted dns, on a Asus router running official firmware ?

Last edited:
I just had to uninstall the nextdns agent from my Merlin+AMTM+Diversion+Skynet+Pixelserv setups. It seems when I use the nextdns scripted install (sh -c "$(curl -sL https://nextdns.io/install)") the config changes it makes bypasses the Pixelserv setup b/c my stats stop incrementing. The lines it installs into /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf look suspect. During my "manual nextdns" config, I used the code below to make NextDNS play nice with pixelserv. Then I configured the WEBGUI manually using the NextDNS setups for WAN > DNS page. This code is from @dave14305 posting in late 2019 when we all started manually adding NextDNS/AMTM/Merlin/Diversion/Pixelserv. Here's the link -> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-and-nextdns-issue.58282/page-6#post-536596
My pixelserv address local IP is -> 192.168.111.2

#!/bin/sh
. /opt/share/diversion/file/post-conf.div # Added by Diversion
#
# For NextDNS to play nice with PixelServ
#
CONFIG="$1"
. /usr/sbin/helper.sh
if [ "$(nvram get dnspriv_enable)" = "1" ] && [ -n "$(nvram get dnspriv_rulelist | grep nextdns)" ]; then
pc_append "alias=0.0.0.0,192.168.111.2" "$CONFIG"
pc_delete "stop-dns-rebind" "$CONFIG"
fi
# <EOF>

Any thoughts if the NextDNS installer will play nice with PixelServ in the future? Thanks for all the work on this. I really like the NextDNS service. I don't understand all the redirection across the services so I apologize if I've hozed something up with my "odd pixelserv IP"

Last edited:
I just had to uninstall the nextdns agent from my Merlin+AMTM+Diversion+Skynet+Pixelserv setups. It seems when I use the nextdns scripted install (sh -c "$(curl -sL https://nextdns.io/install)") the config changes it makes bypasses the Pixelserv setup b/c my stats stop incrementing. The lines it installs into /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf look suspect. During my "manual nextdns" config, I had to do this to make NextDNS play nice with pixelserv. This code came from @dave14305 posting in late 2019 when we all started poking around adding NextDNS/AMTM/Merlin/Diversion/Pixelserv. Here's the link -> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-and-nextdns-issue.58282/page-6#post-536596

#!/bin/sh
#
#
CONFIG="$1"
. /usr/sbin/helper.sh
if [ "$(nvram get dnspriv_enable)" = "1" ] && [ -n "$(nvram get dnspriv_rulelist | grep nextdns)" ]; then
fi
# <EOF>

Any thoughts if the NextDNS installer will play nice with PixelServ in the future? Thanks for all the work on this. I really like the NextDNS service. I don't understand all the redirection across the services so I apologize if I've hozed something up with my "odd pixelserv IP"
that is a given,aside from using dnsfilter to force clients to different DNS, when using Nextdns on asuswrt-merlin, nextdns becomes your "only" dns solution. atleast it is designed to be your only dns solution. You can try clever .postconf or .conf.add additions using custom scripts, but in the end, if it is designed to be your only dns source these tactics may fall short of working only temporarily.

I just had to uninstall the nextdns agent from my Merlin+AMTM+Diversion+Skynet+Pixelserv setups. It seems when I use the nextdns scripted install (sh -c "$(curl -sL https://nextdns.io/install)") the config changes it makes bypasses the Pixelserv setup b/c my stats stop incrementing. The lines it installs into /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf look suspect. During my "manual nextdns" config, I had to do this to make NextDNS play nice with pixelserv. This code came from @dave14305 posting in late 2019 when we all started poking around adding NextDNS/AMTM/Merlin/Diversion/Pixelserv. Here's the link -> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-and-nextdns-issue.58282/page-6#post-536596

#!/bin/sh
#
#
CONFIG="$1"
. /usr/sbin/helper.sh
fi
# <EOF>

I think this is what is happening.

Any thoughts if the NextDNS installer will play nice with PixelServ in the future?
NextDNS made a controversial decision when they switched from a flaky dnsmasq.conf.add approach to using dnsmasq.postconf. They prepend their code to dnsmasq.postconf and then add an exit 0 which will prevent any existing code in dnsmasq.postconf from running. https://github.com/nextdns/nextdns/issues/115

For your case, I assume there would be no harm in adding this to dnsmasq.conf.add:
Code:
alias=0.0.0.0,192.168.111.2

That “exit 0” is not nice indeed...

So now it really makes no sense to have Diversion running alongside NextDNS?

Last edited: