What's new

Noob Needs Help With Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tauntingboar

New Around Here
Hi all,
I'm pretty confident and competent uses PCs (or in my case a MAC) but for the life of I can not get my head around Wireless/wired transfer speeds, whats good or bad, etc etc.

I have downloaded a program called "Lan Speed Test" (i cant remember the source). It basically creates a 20MB file and uploads it to the chosen destination and then reads it, finally giving you a report on upload/download speeds. I ran a few tests with various bits of kit and would just like some help/reassurance that the speeds I'm getting are what I should be getting.

Test 1
Macbook 5Ghz Wireless > RT-N66U with NAS attached to lan port.
5mbps (Write)
59mbps (Read)

Test 2
Macbook 5Ghz Wireless > RT-N66U with USB HDD attached.
4mbps (Write)
73mbps (Read)

Are these speeds acceptable? I've read and re-read the articles on how wireless is accomplished and my brain goes dead. I guess its something I'll never understand. What I can understand is some kind soul telling me they are crap and I need to do something or that they are about average and not to worry.

All help much appreciated.

Regards

Mike