What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been running AiMesh fairly stable for about a week. A couple days ago I finally added another 68U node - just because I had it laying around. Not really necessary in my home.
Since then I've noticed some disconnects. Then last night I saw this:
Capture.JPG
open

open

I strange new node called "My Home" shows-up. I opened the node and saw the IP was the same as my Family Room node. So I deleted the intruder and immediately lost wifi in my family room. A few minutes later, the Family Room node also disappeared. I rebooted the router and node, but it was still gone. I had to reset (actually did an NVRAM erase) the node before I could reconfigure it as a node.

Since everything was good until recently, I'm going to take out the 2nd "Spare" node.

Last edited:
I've been trying to setup the AI mesh nodes with fixed IP addresses. All my other infrastructure devices have fixed IP addresses outside the dynamic address range. The reservations are listed in the manually assigned device list in the DHCP Server tab.

Is there a way to force the AI Mesh configuration to honor the mapping in the DHCP Server tab?

Node does get the IP address from DHCP reservation, at least mine does.
If you want to setup an address outside DHCP scope you'll have to ssh to the address it gets from DHCP and manually configure it. There's no way to do that using using GUI.

Still having node disconnects. Woke up to to no node in the web UI. Node shows up as a device in the device list pool. Have it set to wired backhaul. Hope they get this fixed. Pretty frustrating.

I had this happen with my AC86U in regular main+AP mode with the AC86U as the main router for the current FW and the previous. I did a full reset, and its been a few days now since I've seen it.

Thanks - how did you do the full reset? Did you clear NVRAM too and re-add the nodes?

My other problem is that many times clients tend to connect to the further (and much weaker) main router rather than the closer node. And of course the same problem that everyone is having - the node tends to disappear and become offline.

Last edited:
This happens to mine quite a few times a day. I work from home and can really notice it. My laptop is connected via cat5, which is stable. My phone sitting next to me is on wifi and disxonnects several times a day. Different chromecast audio disconnects with the synced Pandora a bit. In addition my smart thing hub gets disconnected a couple times a day.

This is happening to me as well on the new firmware. Hope we get a newer version soon.

I had an issue with Nvidia Shield TV not being able to get an IP via DHCP over wired ethernet on the 10007 firmware. The ShieldTV was connected to a hardwired node via one of the four node's ethernet ports via an unmanaged gigabit D-link 8-port switch.
Also, this is 1 router-1 node setup. I'm getting all sorts of weird disconnects and slowdowns in streaming even on wired devices (IPTV getting more flaky) vs the last beta.

Thanks - how did you do the full reset? Did you clear NVRAM too and re-add the nodes?

My other problem is that many times clients tend to connect to the further (and much weaker) main router rather than the closer node. And of course the same problem that everyone is having - the node tends to disappear and become offline.

It was happening to me in standard router+AP mode. The full reset (using Initialize option to clear NVRAM and all history files) seems to have fixed the issue. Its also possible that the constant logging in and tweaking of settings was causing it because I haven't touched the router settings since reconfiguring it after the full reset.

I'm a dumb dumb. I found my problem. I thought I had the right CAT5 cable behind my HT rack plugged into the WAN port on the node. I did not. I had the home run plugged into one of the LAN ports and my sonos bridge connected into the WAN port. I'm surprised it worked at all! Anyway, got that squared away right quick and added my 66U as an AP upstairs in the loft and things appear to be working well.

Anxious to see if the node drops overnight. One thing that I noticed right off the bat is that the backhaul behavior worked straight away after I went through adding the aimesh node. It is set to "auto", but the link indicates wired. So that's promising. Speeds went up as well and appear to be where they should be now; upwards of 90+Mbps fairly close and 40+Mbps in the farthest reaches of our home. Crossing my fingers this is sorted and I can stop fiddling. Alexa, Philips Hue, Sonos and Harmony hubs are all working correctly now as well.

/30 lashes

Does anyone know where I can submit a bug report to Asus. I tried connecting to 68u's but they keep disconnecting every 10 minutes.
Using the feedback option within the router's webgui seems to get a quick response from the Asus devs.

Mesh update: I'm hardwired for the mesh node and get full speeds when connected to the node (155 down, 170 up on fios).

When I log into the main router, click on aiMesh, click on the node, then click "more config" it seems to show the mesh is wireless. Under connection priority, it's set to auto. If I change that to "ethernet" still get the same speeds. Guessing it's a small bug?

Can anyone comment on if the handoff between mesh nodes works well or does a phone/laptop seem to hang onto the one that's farther away as you move about the rooms? My phone (pixel 2) seems to handoff well. Haven't tried enough devices yet to know how well it works for most.

Have you double-checked that the network cable is plugged into the WAN port on the node? I messed this up the first time around and just realized it. As soon as I fixed that and rebooted, the router picked up the node and in the UI indicated that it was connected via wired even though it was set to "auto".

After installing the new software on my two ac68 (one as node and one as main router) the feedback from the rest of my family is that they think the WiFi is very bad.... And they did not know that I have changed to aimesh software........ Anybody else have this experience.

I hope some of you guys can point me in the right direction. I purchased 3 TM-AC1900s and converted them per the "BayArea Pros" instructions to RT-AC68Us w/o a problem. I then updated to the latest 10007 AIMesh firmware. All 3 show the AIMesh icon on the homepage of the routers.

I setup my primary router (set ip range to start with 192.168.2.1, setup some static ips I need. Setup some port forwarding, my SSID etc.) Then when I tried to add the other 2 routers as AIMesh nodes my router can't see them. I tried resetting the nodes (held reset button in until power button flashes) but I can't see them. Is it because the main router has already been setup? Does it have to use nothing but defaults to add a node? Can somebody walk through the exact steps needed to setup an AIMesh network? It's really unclear what state the router and nodes need to be in in order to see each other and bind. If you have to reset the main router and have it at all defaults, can you then restore setting via a cfg file and keep the AIMesh working?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I hope some of you guys can point me in the right direction. I purchased 3 TM-AC1900s and converted them per the "BayArea Pros" instructions to RT-AC68Us w/o a problem. I then updated to the latest 10007 AIMesh firmware. All 3 show the AIMesh icon on the homepage of the routers.

I setup my primary router (set ip range to start with 192.168.2.1, setup some static ips I need. Setup some port forwarding, my SSID etc.) Then when I tried to add the other 2 routers as AIMesh nodes my router can't see them. I tried resetting the nodes (held reset button in until power button flashes) but I can't see them. Is it because the main router has already been setup? Does it have to use nothing but defaults to add a node? Can somebody walk through the exact steps needed to setup an AIMesh network? It's really unclear what state the router and nodes need to be in in order to see each other and bind. If you have to reset the main router and have it at all defaults, can you then restore setting via a cfg file and keep the AIMesh working?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Known issue with converted TM-AC1900s. We've been relegated to a separate thread -> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aimesh-on-the-t-mobile-tm-ac1900.43278/

Last edited:
when i check the GUI network map after its gone offline it says AiMesh Nodes: 0.

My node has not dropped offline in quite a while (over 30 hours) so I don't remember if the GUI showed 0 or not. The only thing I noted was that clients could still connect to the node and they were getting to the internet. That makes me think that the issue could be just a problem with the GUI and not the underlying functioning of the routers. Only ASUS knows for sure.

One thing I've been doing for the past day or so is that I'll log in to the router to check the status of everything and then I log out. I wondered if 'parking' a browser page on the GUI might be contributing to the 'offline' problem.

I just setup a new AiMesh network (Main router is RT-AC68P, and the node is a brand new RT-AC68U) Like several others here, I'm having issues with my AiMesh "node" dropping offline constantly too; it's very frustrating. The backhaul is via WiFi. I sent feedback to router_feedback@asus.com Hopefully this will be fixed in the near future. The current firmware makes the network unreliable at best.

Last edited:
Hi there!

I'm the author of CFEditor: https://cfeditor.pipeline.sh. There were 1.0.2.0 & 1.0.2.1 CFEs available. Recently someone asked me if I could add the 1.0.2.0 AiMesh CFE, and I updated the tool using a dumped CFE from this thread. The dumped file is much larger than the "original", so I was wondering if anyone has the "original" 1.0.2.0 AiMesh CFE that I can use for CFEditor.

Anyway just so you know that CFEditor now supports the 1.0.2.0 AiMesh CFE.

Happy flashing!

OK. I just don't get it. How do I get a node to connect? I have
v3.0.0.4.384.10007
on two AC68U routers. Earch works fine as a router. But as soon as I put one in AiMesh Node mode, it tells me to login into the other router. I login there and search for a node, but none is ever found. I've tried putting the routers right next to eachother, and they still can't find other. I tried connecting them by LAN. Zilch. What is the trick?
- - - -
Never mind. I found separate thread that talked about the TMobile versions. The important bit, is when using the CFEditor one needs to generate the "1.0.2.0 US AiMesh" version, not the "1.0.2.0 US" version as the flashing instructions indicate.

There are still a few issues, such as the LAN speed is only 500 Mbps instead 1000 Mbps, for my wired clients. But I see those are issues that have been reported. Maybe I'll be lucky and stumble on the solution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.