What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that ASUS is adding a new feature collect AIMesh to covert some router as mesh network. I'm wondering if this could be implemented on RT-AC3200 or the RT-N68U.

Just asking.!!!!!

I noticed that ASUS is adding a new feature collect AIMesh to covert some router as mesh network. I'm wondering if this could be implemented on RT-AC3200 or the RT-N68U.

Just asking.!!!!!
You might try asking in the below thread dedicated to AiMesh. On the RT-N68U I'm guessing no as there doesn't appear to be any N routers listed as compatible. I'm not sure about the 3200 but I think that has different chipsets than the others and that may preclude it from being compatible. Best to ask in the man thread though.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...l-supported-products.43125/page-4#post-369169

So does AiMesh have any sort of seamless roaming? Both Google WiFi and Eero seems to do a great job at steering devices from node to node without any issues.
That is the entire point of Mesh vs Repeater... Mesh automatically transfers you to the node with the best signal to your device.

We known this issue and it's working on it.

@arthurlien

I don’t know in this case when you verified the bug but is it possible for you to let us all know about such things in Release Notes and categorise into, for example, New Features/Bugs Fixed/Known Issues?

This would stop people chasing their tails investigating and testing for issues Asus already know about, especially now this is classified as Release/Production software. This would assist us all greatly.

StephenH

That is the entire point of Mesh vs Repeater... Mesh automatically transfers you to the node with the best signal to your device.

Which again raises the issue of “fixed position” wireless devices such as IP cameras, TV’s etc etc etc which don’t (normally) ever move but may happen to be within strong signal zone of multiple AIMesh APs.

I have about 3 such devices in my home setup, and at present I deal with it on my non-mesh old multiple AP setup (TP-Link “N” units) by Blacklisting them (by MAC address) on all the units EXCEPT the one I want each device to connect to. This works well and stops the IP camera disconnects I was getting.

I see no equivalent way yet in AIMesh of locking a device to a particular Node, and it is hesitancy about that, plus current lack of Guest Networks across whole AIMesh, that is making me hold off rolling it out, much as I’m keen to!

StephenH

Edit: I should add for clarity that @arthurlien has stated Guest Networks are coming and that locking devices to Nodes is under internal technical discussion, so I hold good hope for both.

Last edited:
This is not true. The same roaming assist technologies can be employed in repeater systems that are not based on WDS.

There is nothing magic in mesh itself that provides enhanced roaming.

And wireless devices still control most roaming behavior.

I hope this isn’t too far off topic but just an observation I had and was curious as to the reasoning. Anyways, I have an RT-AC87U running Merlin’s latest 380 code base. But I’ve noticed that there’s not much development for this particular model, nothing (yet) in the 382 code base and it’s not listed (yet) as supported by 384. Where-as I have the RT-AC66u which is still supported on newer codebases, why is that? Is there some issue with the 87U that it’s just not a high priority? If that’s the case, what device should I replace it with where this type of issue won’t occur for a while? Thanks -IronSchramm

I hope this isn’t too far off topic but just an observation I had and was curious as to the reasoning. Anyways, I have an RT-AC87U running Merlin’s latest 380 code base. But I’ve noticed that there’s not much development for this particular model, nothing (yet) in the 382 code base and it’s not listed (yet) as supported by 384. Where-as I have the RT-AC66u which is still supported on newer codebases, why is that? Is there some issue with the 87U that it’s just not a high priority? If that’s the case, what device should I replace it with where this type of issue won’t occur for a while? Thanks -IronSchramm

This has been pretty much asked and answered in the old AIMesh beta thread, see posts 614-616.

StephenH

Excessive functions. Unnecessary.

If someone does not experience WDS settings or WiFi settings, these new features will not help him (diagnose or search for errors). New features will help only amateurs, not network administrators. Innovative features such as Multi-WAN, Virtual Wireless, Telnet/SSH support and many more - are features taken from another open source firmwares - DD-WRT or OpenWRT.

It's just stupid advertising. ASUS maker wants to force people to buy only their products. But if I have two different routers at home and I want to connect them to a WiFi network, I need "WDS" instead of "AiBLABLA" function ;-) .

ASUS brand (hardware) is good, but software is very poor in network administration. The more expensive and high-quality ASUS routers also do not have a quality system for managing a computer network. For example the AiMesh function - what is it good for ? A long time is there a WDS or cascade interconnection of multiple WiFi networks, so what then AiMesh ? To buy another 5 routers from ASUS on one hotel corridor ? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you send a feedback for me by Administrator -> Feedback in Web UI ?
Please tag your Nickname in description field and contain the information is as below,

Extra Information
1. System Log
2. WiFi Log
3. Configuration (if you don't have any concern)

Email with logs sent :)

Apparently the mesh is not really that perfect. My main router (ac88u) is nearer to my master bedroom, I was gaming on my phone and as I walked out from my room to my living room (ac68u as node), my game actually hang and I got kicked out of the server. I suppose the signal drop and the game server is unable to connect quickly during the transition.

Does this mesh uses roaming assistant and using the term AiMesh to beauty the naming? Also why cant I turn off wps? I do get warning if I turn off wps it will affect the performance of the mesh. Can anyone answer my question please :(

If I check for a firmware upgrade running 384.10007, it says an upgrade is available but it’s the same build number. Anyone experiencing that?

I’ve restored to factory defaults.

By CFE Edit, are you referring to this CFE Editor ? https://cfeditor.pipeline.sh/ Because that won't create a CFE compatible with AiMesh - regardless what MACs are used. Maybe there's some other CFE editor I haven't used since I converted mine a long time ago using the above link. For AiMesh, I ended-up using HxD to copy/paste the MACs between my CFE files. Alternatively, the old CFE.EXE (windows command line app) works fine using goggles99's CFE as the new_cfe.bin target file.

Just wondering if that is why you can't see the nodes from the router.

Thanks for the reply. The program is called Vortex CFE Edit: I actually got the link from the goggles99 post.
I'll try HxD and see if that makes any difference.
Resetting router 2 and going straight to search did not work.

Last edited:
anyone????

Additional question: when I adjust the roaming assistant value from -70 (default) to -60, my iphone totally cant connect to the wifi.

Apparently the mesh is not really that perfect. My main router (ac88u) is nearer to my master bedroom, I was gaming on my phone and as I walked out from my room to my living room (ac68u as node), my game actually hang and I got kicked out of the server. I suppose the signal drop and the game server is unable to connect quickly during the transition.

Does this mesh uses roaming assistant and using the term AiMesh to beauty the naming? Also why cant I turn off wps? I do get warning if I turn off wps it will affect the performance of the mesh. Can anyone answer my question please :(

Status
Not open for further replies.