What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not true. The same roaming assist technologies can be employed in repeater systems that are not based on WDS.

There is nothing magic in mesh itself that provides enhanced roaming.

And wireless devices still control most roaming behavior.

@thiggins What are you thoughts on using a single SSID across several AP's? Is it just as good if not better than mesh? Is roaming assist beneficial? To me it all comes down to channel overlap. Will there be channel overlap issues whether using AP's, WDS, or mesh? Maybe there is a util out there that generates a heat map and gives a visual representation of channel and signal strength coverage.
Might not be the right place to discuss, but it's something I think about.

Last edited:
I've got an RT-AC68A basically a U sold directly from Amazon for a short time. I updated to the new official AIMesh firmware 3.0.0.4.384_10007 that said it supported aimesh but no luck. Going through Quick Set up it references AImesh but no where else. My converted TMobile AC1900 unit upgraded and looks like its read to roll... I wonder has anyone converted an A to a U?

No, I still can't figure out what's going on, but at least set the pc to static IP will prevent interrupt/disconnect, I found this because I am trying to capture some packet for analysis and before that I set a static IP first.

One more question : What is the Connection Priority you selected, Auto or Ethernet ? Such as,

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_308 Jan. 05 14.36.jpg
    ScreenHunter_308 Jan. 05 14.36.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 598
Having the same issue too! Ethernet Backhaul and speedtest on my desktop which is wired connected to the main ac88u router, yet only achieve around 350mbps max for download. Whereas upload can hit as high as 970mbps...

Interesting to hear. If this the behavior for the current build, I'm going to hold off on trying AiMesh for now.

This is not true. The same roaming assist technologies can be employed in repeater systems that are not based on WDS.

There is nothing magic in mesh itself that provides enhanced roaming.

And wireless devices still control most roaming behavior.

I have an RT-AC68U running in AP mode and wired to an AC86U. Currently, I have the system working quite well for providing 802.11AC throughout my entire house for my Mac and PC laptops. Android devices aren't so great at choosing the stronger 5 GHz broadcast signal though. Will AiMesh improve things for the Android devices? Is there any other benefit to AiMesh? Is the handoff between APs somehow better with AiMesh? Trying to understand whether I should potentially torture myself trying to implement it.

3*AC68U, roaming is very slow, sometime it will disconnect first and after 1~2 second it will reconnect to the new node, not see this in previous beta, and usually this start happen after the node up for hrs, and reboot the main will fix it.
Roaming assistant is disabled, enabled didn't help switching as it will just disconnect, lan as backhaul

I have an RT-AC68U running in AP mode and wired to an AC86U. Currently, I have the system working quite well for providing 802.11AC throughout my entire house for my Mac and PC laptops. Android devices aren't so great at choosing the stronger 5 GHz broadcast signal though. Will AiMesh improve things for the Android devices? Is there any other benefit to AiMesh? Is the handoff between APs somehow better with AiMesh? Trying to understand whether I should potentially torture myself trying to implement it.

Can you test handoff case with your Android devices ? after you tested, send feedback for me. please tag your nickname in description field.

3*AC68U, roaming is very slow, sometime it will disconnect first and after 1~2 second it will reconnect to the new node, not see this in previous beta, and usually this start happen after the node up for hrs, and reboot the main will fix it.
Roaming assistant is disabled, enabled didn't help switching as it will just disconnect, lan as backhaul

Roaming assistant shall be enabled.

Roaming assistant shall be enabled.
Tried with roaming assistance, it just disconnect and don't reconnect to stronger node, seems like roaming not function sometime.
Roaming assistance set to -70dbm for 5G, and -60dbm for 2.4G, may be I fine tune it a little bit to see if that help.

Tried with roaming assistance, it just disconnect and don't reconnect to stronger node, seems like roaming not function sometime.
Roaming assistance set to -70dbm for 5G, and -60dbm for 2.4G, may be I fine tune it a little bit to see if that help.

send the system log for me after you tested...

send the system log for me after you tested...
log sent, it just happen again, roaming assistance -70dmb for 5G, new node at -56dbm as report from my phone, my phone get disconnect by the old AP and don't roam to new node. Later my phone connect to new node by itself
p.s. need the "System Diagnostic"? I didn't include them

Should the beta have been closed and firmware placed on main support page? If the public doesn’t read this and the existing beta thread they wouldn’t know about these issues.

I am only speculating based on prior experience and observation, but often Sales/Marketing departments decide release dates rather than Engineering departments :D

StephenH

If I check for a firmware upgrade running 384.10007, it says an upgrade is available but it’s the same build number. Anyone experiencing that?

I’ve restored to factory defaults.
Yes, I was going to ask the same question

@thiggins What are you thoughts on using a single SSID across several AP's? Is it just as good if not better than mesh? Is roaming assist beneficial? To me it all comes down to channel overlap. Will there be channel overlap issues whether using AP's, WDS, or mesh? Maybe there is a util out there that generates a heat map and gives a visual representation of channel and signal strength coverage.
Might not be the right place to discuss, but it's something I think about.
Questions about roaming have been asked and answered so many times that I'm going to write an article to point y'all to soon.

Devices decide when and where to roam. Roaming times under a second are possible only with APs and devices designed specifically to work together to achieve that speed. Consumer Wi-Fi routers and devices are not in that category.

In general, roaming assist technologies being designed into Wi-Fi Systems and extenders are aiming primarily at getting devices to move to a better node when signal levels drop vs. sticking to the node they initially associate with. These methods are not particularly focused on having short roam times. They are trying to go from no roaming behavior to SOME sort of behavior at all.

AP overlap certainly doesn't help roaming because it makes the decision of where to roam more difficult for the device, or worse, causes it to bounce between nodes with similar signal levels.

The good news is with multi AP systems moving into the consumer space, manufacturers see an opportunity to differentiate their products. And the WiFi Alliance now has a certification to check for conformance to roaming method standards. But the road will be rocky and there will be a lot of marketing FUD generated and people are going to have to upgrade devices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.