What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the noob question, but what would be the rational regarding doing the guest network for those devices? I have a lot of wireless cameras and smart home devices running zwave/wireless and I have them all routed through my secured network....
Guest has a setting that isolates it from the other intranet traffic. So if there was some malicious firmware on these devices, or they got hacked, the damage would be limited to things such as watching my dog take a dump or turning on my lawn sprinklers.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I ever saw this asked/answered. Is there a consensus on what setting for the backhaul? Wired, Wireless or Auto? I'm cabled between router and node. Should I select "wired" or "auto"? Is it working correctly?

I'm not sure I ever saw this asked/answered. Is there a consensus on what setting for the backhaul? Wired, Wireless or Auto? I'm cabled between router and node. Should I select "wired" or "auto"? Is it working correctly?
I set mine to wired and with a reboot it shows my 86u mesh node correctly sending via the wired Ethernet lan to my 86u mesh router. Think there still is an issue though with the gigabit speeds over wire mesh that Asus is working on a fix for

Thanks Island, I will change it back to wired and reboot. Just found out our ISP is offering synchronous 1000Mb up/down for $10 more a month. Yeehaw! Just signed up.

I was able to run my AC5300 (on the last beta) as the AIMESH router node and connecting my newly bought AC86U (with the new official firmware) as the node. Works like a charm.

The only bad thing, in the ASUS Router app it said there was a new firmware for the AC5300. I upgraded, but actually I downgraded to the non-beta firmware. So I had to install the beta firmware once more. And I actually didnt need to add the AC86U as a node again. I had remembered the settings.

Looking forward to see how stable this is.

After successfully converting my TM-AC1900's to AT-68U's, I got AiMesh up and running.

Only bad thing is the node disconnects for a little while every now and then, causing a loss in connectivity for my devices .

After successfully converting my TM-AC1900's to AT-68U's, I got AiMesh up and running.

Only bad thing is the node disconnects for a little while every now and then, causing a loss in connectivity for my devices .

Mine do the same thing but sadly no response from Asus on this. Today was the first day I didn't have to reboot a node and they've been "connected" for >24 hours.

Sorry for the noob question, but what would be the rational regarding doing the guest network for those devices? I have a lot of wireless cameras and smart home devices running zwave/wireless and I have them all routed through my secured network....
As a general rule, the security on IoT devices is comically bad. Just unbelievably so. As an example, if our Ecobee loses internet for 4 hours, the session token gets reused by some other random customer's device and the app on my phone connects to said random customer's thermostat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

As a general rule, the security on IoT devices is comically bad. Just unbelievably so. As an example, if our Ecobee loses internet for 4 hours, the session token gets reused by some other random customer's device and the app on my phone connects to said random customer's thermostat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Wow, did not know these Iot devices could be so vulnerable? I have mostly D-link cameras, Wink, alexia, and Honeywell Thermostats. Didn't think I've ever had an issue where they were compromised. I know that I set them all up with static Ip's and if they disconnect, they usually remain disconnected until I reestablish my router network....good info to know though

Do any other mesh systems, e.g., Lyra, Orbi, Google Mesh, utilize any of these protocols?

From the bottom of https://www.linksys.com/us/seamless-roaming/
"*Seamless Roaming is designed for devices that support the 802.11k standard...."
This is the only one that I could find that actually states its using 802.11k
They also support ethernet/Powerline backhaul connections.
For a list of clients supporting 802.11k see http://clients.mikealbano.com/

If you connect multiple AC5300's together in an AiMesh via ethernet will it make both 5 Ghz bands available for clients and smart switch between them all?
Could you stack three AC5300 routers on top of each other and have the same as a 9 band wifi router....?

I'm trying to set up my AC88U as the main and AC68U as the node. However, the synchronization fails after going to 99% and error message tells me to check the items below. I followed them exactly, am I missing something?

I have the same combination and experienced the same results - but it has gotten worse.

I was coming from Asuswrt-merlin 382.1 on my main router an AC88U. Decided to dust off my backup AC68U and give AiMesh a shot.
The original upgrade on both went fine. Factory reset both. AC88U saw the AC68U and when it attempted to sync, it went to the end and failed as you described. A few times.

One thing that "might" be causing me a problem is that fact I have a pretty long dhcp static list - around 35 devices with a static assigned IP. I had done an nvram save of just the dhcp_static stuff when running merlins fork. I needed to get my network back on line so I did an nvram restore of this static list.

Now, I cant even see the AC68U as a node.... No matter what I do...

This weekend I am going to try an experiment. I am going to reduce the dhcp static list to the bare minimum - a need to static in my NAS box and a few Raspberry Pi's (one is an NTP server and the other running FlightAware). I will then save this much smaller static list.
Last, I will factory reset BOTH the AC88U and the AC68U. Do the bare minimum setup and hope I can get them to sync.
Assuming they do, I will restore the shorter dhcp static list and hope for the best.
If they dont.... I guess I wait for another Asus code update... or go back to merlins fork and patiently wait/hope for a version that support AiMesh.

BTW, neither Alexa or IFTTT work on the AC88U. I get all the way to pasting the generated code into the Asus web portal - and after ~15 seconds it tells me it can't validate...

I have the same combination and experienced the same results - but it has gotten worse.

I was coming from Asuswrt-merlin 382.1 on my main router an AC88U. Decided to dust off my backup AC68U and give AiMesh a shot.
The original upgrade on both went fine. Factory reset both. AC88U saw the AC68U and when it attempted to sync, it went to the end and failed as you described. A few times.

One thing that "might" be causing me a problem is that fact I have a pretty long dhcp static list - around 35 devices with a static assigned IP. I had done an nvram save of just the dhcp_static stuff when running merlins fork. I needed to get my network back on line so I did an nvram restore of this static list.

Now, I cant even see the AC68U as a node.... No matter what I do...

This weekend I am going to try an experiment. I am going to reduce the dhcp static list to the bare minimum - a need to static in my NAS box and a few Raspberry Pi's (one is an NTP server and the other running FlightAware). I will then save this much smaller static list.
Last, I will factory reset BOTH the AC88U and the AC68U. Do the bare minimum setup and hope I can get them to sync.
Assuming they do, I will restore the shorter dhcp static list and hope for the best.
If they dont.... I guess I wait for another Asus code update... or go back to merlins fork and patiently wait/hope for a version that support AiMesh.

BTW, neither Alexa or IFTTT work on the AC88U. I get all the way to pasting the generated code into the Asus web portal - and after ~15 seconds it tells me it can't validate...

I finally got it working. Only thing I did differently is rebooting main router and setup using iOS app instead of pc.

Hey guys, been following for a while, just signed up to reply. Im running a pair of RT-AC68U both with the latest 384.10007 firmware. they paired up in AiMesh mode no problem, but im also having the problem where after about 8 hours the "node" router will go offline.

Im now using a WeMo plug to toggle to power off/on every 8 hours, and also so I can remotely toggle the power if it goes offline before the scheduled toggle event occurs.

I sent a feedback through the app last night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180109-152403.jpg
    Screenshot_20180109-152403.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 625
Did anyone noticed "Enable Web Access from WAN" is enable by default? And when I disable it it says is required by IFTTT and Alexa (I believe Alexa was there too).
Annoying! I don't need that (shirt) and even if I need, Asus should not have it enable without asking me first.

woke up this morning to find no aimesh nodes in the web ui. node router was listed as a device and when I clicked on it, it showwed "AP mode" in the top header section of the window that opens...

had to reboot both devices in order for it to reappear and reconnect

other's still seeing this? I did finally manually select wired connection for backhaul (changed from wireless) after I got reconnected and then rebooted main router....pretty pointless if they don't stay connected.

quick question: I must not have enabled telnet or SSH after I did the NVRAM reset on the node during initial setup. how do I go about enabling that so I can reboot the node through telnet?

quick question: I must not have enabled telnet or SSH after I did the NVRAM reset on the node during initial setup. how do I go about enabling that so I can reboot the node through telnet?
I'm guessing those settings must get propagated from the AiMesh Router's settings. I don't recall enabling ssh in the nodes before pairing them with the router.

Last edited:
I'm guessing those settings must get propagated from the AiMesh Router's settings. I don't recall eanabling ssh in the nodes before pairing them with the router.

Ahhh, thanks! Didn't think of that. I will try that when I get home and see if it works. Ronald, are you having issues with your node(s) dropping off? I'm just wondering if this is still happening for most folks or if there are some who have not experienced this behavior at all.

Ahhh, thanks! Didn't think of that. I will try that when I get home and see if it works. Ronald, are you having issues with your node(s) dropping off? I'm just wondering if this is still happening for most folks or if there are some who have not experienced this behavior at all.
No access issues or dropping off-line. I had some more than a week ago - after flashing 10007, but is smoothed-out after a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.