What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think we all are! That's the only way we can learn and make things better. I'll try to do more testing tonight on streaming things and walking around the house to see if I experience the drops like others have. I have a lot of wireless devices but really only walk around the house with iPhone/iPad. It's also very possible that different clients will do the "seamless" handoff differently so it might be a good idea to start posting devices that are having trouble and devices that work well. No doubt Asus didn't test every wireless device out there.
Well, I'll start. In my case, the device that seems to drop Netflix while roaming is an LG G Pad X 8.0. It's a cheap Android tablet that I bring all over the house for browsing, using with Netflix, Plex, and other casting apps to my Chromecasts. I do have laptops, but I don't really walk them all over or watch video on them. Maybe I should try it, just to see what happens. I can do it with my phone, too. Everything else is pretty stationary and unlikely to ever switch over anywhere. I'm also wondering if maybe the cellular radio is buggering things up, too. It might roam WiFi easier if it doesn't try to fall back to cellular first. It's a free data for life plan, so I don't actually use it. I guess I could just disable it and see what happens.

Things will really get interesting once we get past this winter and I can start testing the yard. Even the 2.4 signal was getting choppy not too far out, since I no longer had an AP set up to boost the signal. Now with the node, I'm thinking I shouldn't have streaming issues when I mow the lawn or grill in the yard. At least, I hope not!

AFA factory reset, I've been using a rule-of-thumb that I reset when the major version number changes (ie 382 - 384). That is because there likely will be differences in the memory mapping, the number of configurable values, and/or the defaults. Not all settings are viewable/changeable in the gui.

Also, I reset NVRAM whenever a different CFE is flashed. That's a lot less often.

It would be much easier if user customizations could be exported/imported separately. Things such as client names, static IPs, passwords, SSIDs.... Maybe even stored in a json text file.

AFA factory reset, I've been using a rule-of-thumb that I reset when the major version number changes (ie 382 - 384). That is because there likely will be differences in the memory mapping, the number of configurable values, and/or the defaults. Not all settings are viewable/changeable in the gui.

Also, I reset NVRAM whenever a different CFE is flashed. That's a lot less often.

It would be much easier if user customizations could be exported/imported separately. Things such as client names, static IPs, passwords, SSIDs.... Maybe even stored in a json text file.
Agreed on the last point. Stuff like that should be a no brainer. Why should we have to re-input all that basic level stuff for every update? That's insane. If Asus can implement some way to back up more basic settings prior to a factory reset, that would be amazing.

How about backup/restore setting function?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

How about backup/restore setting function?

But weren't we warned not to use this across major releases. Seems like it was said that it would just negate the factory reset. The backup files seem to be just a binary image of a portion of nvram. I could be wrong.

A lot of this is based on urban legends and the fact that resets do seem to fix some mysterious issues.

But weren't we warned not to use this across major releases. Seems like it was said that it would just negate the factory reset. The backup files seem to be just a binary image of a portion of nvram. I could be wrong.

A lot of this is based on urban legends and the fact that resets do seem to fix some mysterious issues.
Sure, I known your concern and needed. Just a quick suggestion. [emoji16]

I have been getting this warning/error occasionally in my AC86U logs (occurs with this firmware and the prior release). I have tried a complete reset of both the router settings and the jffs.

Feb 6 09:20:26 kernel: jffs2: warning: (761) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -141

Settings are pretty vanilla on the router, just using it as a router and for wifi with mostly default settings. Not using AIMesh, file sharing, or QOS.

Is this something I need to worry about or is it a normal message I can ignore?

Sure, I known your concern and needed. Just a quick suggestion. [emoji16]

Well, if it was as simple as backing up and loading settings before/after an update, it wouldn't be an issue. But, as pointed out, that's basically the same as just leaving all the settings intact after an update, except with an extra step. If there is some way to save more basic settings, so I don't have to keep entering SSID, passwords, things like reserved IP addresses, and stuff like that, I'd be much more likely to factory reset after every firmware update.

As it is, it's a pain, and unless something is completely borked, I see no need to go through that pain every single time I update. Is it possible to implement a way to save these settings and restore them before/after an update? I always save my settings prior to updating anyway, just in case something goes wrong and I have to roll back, but doing it across firmware versions seems to go against the need for a factory reset in the first place, which you seem to confirm here.

@arthurlien

I noticed you said the smart connect doesn't propagate to the node if the node doesn't support it. Can you explain a little more on that? Is it not recommended to use smart connect if the node doesn't support it? Will smart connect affect the dedicated back haul of the triband?

@arthurlien

I noticed you said the smart connect doesn't propagate to the node if the node doesn't support it. Can you explain a little more on that? Is it not recommended to use smart connect if the node doesn't support it? Will smart connect affect the dedicated back haul of the triband?

The Smart Connect functionality is band steered in AP self, such as 2G to 5G or 5G to 2G.

If your Node support Smart Connect, the cfg will be applied to Node also.

@arthurlien

I understand that. But my node doesn't support that. And Aimesh is supposed to pick the best connection based on connection strength/location rather than connecting to a specific band, or am i off on that? So should Smart connect not be used if in a mesh environment? I'm guessing most users with it, used it as a simple way to combine all 3 ssids into one, but with Mesh It already does that right? Honestly not sure on that last question considering i've always used smart connect

Is anyone having good results with 20308, i.e., no odd behavior, and transitions between nodes are seamless?

The Smart Connect functionality is band steered in AP self, such as 2G to 5G or 5G to 2G.

If your Node support Smart Connect, the cfg will be applied to Node also.

How does that work when the main router is a rt-ac5300 and the nodes are rt-ac3100's? The 5300 has three radio settings while the 3100 only two. I'm having issues with clients bouncing around and winding up on the nodes. If I turn off the 5-1 radio and change the smart connect setting to look like those of the 3100, everything works as it should and is completely stable.

I just hit the LLDPd bug on my RT-AC5300. Which resulted in some wireless devices not being able to connect. Had to revert back to 3.0.0.4.380_7743.

Feb 5 14:35:32 lldpd[277]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available
Feb 5 14:35:32 lldpd[277]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available

I just hit the LLDPd bug on my RT-AC5300. Which resulted in some wireless devices not being able to connect. Had to revert back to 3.0.0.4.380_7743.

The message will not impact any functionality.

The message will not impact any functionality.

Are you sure, because that is the only errors I had in the log and two wireless devices would no longer connect to the wireless.

How does that work when the main router is a rt-ac5300 and the nodes are rt-ac3100's? The 5300 has three radio settings while the 3100 only two. I'm having issues with clients bouncing around and winding up on the nodes. If I turn off the 5-1 radio and change the smart connect setting to look like those of the 3100, everything works as it should and is completely stable.
Just only sync the settings from Your rt-ac5300 to rt-ac3100. When you enable it in rt-ac5300, rt-ac3100 will be enabled.

Are you sure, because that is the only errors I had in the log and two wireless devices would no longer connect to the wireless.
Actually let me clarify, the wireless device can see the wireless SSID, and when I tried to connect, it would fail and I would get the LLDPd error except on the wifi device, I think it was wl0 or wl1, I forget.

Yes, can you send feedback with system log, wifi log and cfg file by Feedback function? Please add your snb nickname and this post URL in description field.