What's new

Only one OpenVPN Client profile will work on RT-AC87U FW380.59

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aolone

Occasional Visitor
After having switched VPN providers I set up client 2 and it was working fine. I set up client 1 with the same settings but a different server address, it did not work. It would start and show in the log that it has initialized correctly, but tun/tap read and write remained at 0. I formatted the jffs and remade the client 1, it worked; but now client 2 does not work (I added the ca.cert again) even though it is on green and connected and initialized normally but tun/tap read write remains at 0. Same thing for any new client I make on client 3.

This is a big problem as server speeds from the VPN provider change over time and I need to be able to change servers. This problem has persisted throughout several firmwares but it used to work after re-importing the .ovpn settings and doing it over again and I used to be able to have 5 clients setup and working (one at time of course), but not anymore.

Any help to get 2 or more clients setup and working when required?

Make sure both clients reside in different subnets, otherwise they will conflict. This is quite likely to be a problem when trying to connect two clients to the same provider - different servers does not imply different subnets.

Merlin I am running only one VPN client at a time and not 2 at the same time.

Then there's something wrong with your configuration, as there's no reason why a second VPN client configuration wouldn't work. Check your system log for any error message.

Then there's something wrong with your configuration, as there's no reason why a second VPN client configuration wouldn't work. Check your system log for any error message.

All is absolutely perfect and the problem is not understandable. I sent you an email on your personal address with screen caps and the system logs as I did not want to publish them here with the web address for this page as the subject line.

Forgive me if it is a faux-pas and I will understand if you will not reply.

In any case at the next update I plan to install ASUS FW first, an older version and then upgrade to your next .60FW

Sorry, I don't have the time currently to analyze your configuration to determine what is happening.

After having switched VPN providers I set up client 2 and it was working fine. I set up client 1 with the same settings but a different server address, it did not work. It would start and show in the log that it has initialized correctly, but tun/tap read and write remained at 0. I formatted the jffs and remade the client 1, it worked; but now client 2 does not work (I added the ca.cert again) even though it is on green and connected and initialized normally but tun/tap read write remains at 0. Same thing for any new client I make on client 3.

This is a big problem as server speeds from the VPN provider change over time and I need to be able to change servers. This problem has persisted throughout several firmwares but it used to work after re-importing the .ovpn settings and doing it over again and I used to be able to have 5 clients setup and working (one at time of course), but not anymore.

Any help to get 2 or more clients setup and working when required?

Very strange as I've got 3 clients setup and can start any of them and can have two clients running at the same time with no issues (one is routing traffic for my AppleTV and the second one for the rest of my devices). Some providers have a different cert and slightly different settings depending on the server that you're accessing (I know mine does) it would be worth double-checking that the server settings match the client settings configured. Without the log files it'll be more difficult to see what might be wrong.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!