What's new

openVPN server on ac66 router or NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

epicurean

Occasional Visitor
I wish to get feedback on whether to use the AC66 as the VPN server, or the one on my synology DS 411 +11.

Any pros and cons of either one? the setup on the NAS seems to be easier

Much thanks for any input

I wish to get feedback on whether to use the AC66 as the VPN server, or the one on my synology DS 411 +11.

Any pros and cons of either one? the setup on the NAS seems to be easier

Much thanks for any input

Please, provide more information about the topology of your network and the purposes you want the OpenVPN server to be used for.

I want to periodically push some of the files and folders held in a Synology DS 106e NAS from my work network, to my home Synology DS 411+11 NAS.
I wish to do this over a secure VPN, so am thinking of setting up an OpenVPN server.

My work network has a Netgear N router , but I also have a spare Asus N56 which I can use.
I am using the Asus AC66 at home.

any suggestions appreciated.

thank youi

I want to periodically push some of the files and folders held in a Synology DS 106e NAS from my work network, to my home Synology DS 411+11 NAS.
I wish to do this over a secure VPN, so am thinking of setting up an OpenVPN server.

My work network has a Netgear N router , but I also have a spare Asus N56 which I can use.
I am using the Asus AC66 at home.

any suggestions appreciated.

thank youi

You should setup an OpenVPN server on your home router. This configuration is much better because of security issues. Otherwise you should open access to your internal home network. So, my advice is to setup an OpenVPN server on your home router. Then you may use an OpenVPN client on your office desktop PC to push files from office network to home NAS. I am using such configuration regularly. I have Seagate Blackarmor NAS at home and Asus RT-N66U router. In the office I am using Windows OpenVPN client. The configuration of the OpenVPN tunnel is TAP interface, so when I connect to my home network I can see all home network services including samba shares, network printer, etc, just as I am wired to it. You may move files just using the file copy between network shares. Many people here will say that TUN interface is better, but I thing that TAP is much easier to configure and easier to understand.

When you use OpenVPN to connect to your home network you should know that the speed will be slowed down. Your home router (AC66) is unable to manage more than 12-20 Mbits through the VPN tunnel because of the hardware limitation (CPU speed, memory speed, etc.). So, if you want regularly to move large amount of data (500 MB or larger) through the VPN tunnel you may consider another option. You may setup a secure FTP server (SFTP or FTPS) on your home NAS, but without opening the FTP port in the home router firewall. When you decide to move files you should connect to the home router Web GUI through the VPN tunnel and enable the FTP port in the firewall. Then exit the OpenVPN tunnel and move your files through public Internet, then connect again to the home router Web GUI through the VPN tunnel and disable the FTP port. This will minimize the potential security issues as the FTP port in the router's firewall will be open only during your session. The FTP transfer between your office PC and home NAS is much faster than the transfer through the VPN tunnel. The transfer speed will be limited only by the internet connection between your office and home. But in any case you should use this option only if you move regularly large amount of data. My advice is to try the OpenVPN option and see if the speed is satisfactory.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed response. Would it be possible to completely automate what you just described? Ie, go into openvpn and open an auto tunnel, and transfer the files?

The size of the files are about 50GB

Are you able to comment about doing a bit torrent sync as an alternative?

Concerning bit torrent sync I have no experience.
Concerning automation of the ftp port opening it could be possible to be done by ssh and scripts, but I have no experience. My proposal is to try first something simple - establishing an OpenVPN bridge between two LANs (the first option I proposed) and then see if it is feasible for your purposes.