What's new

options for Remote WOL using RT-N66u/r

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan-H

Regular Contributor
End goal is to remotely wake a workstation directly connected to an RT-N66u so I can then remote into it over VPN.

Current router is RT N66R running the factory version Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.376_3861. This is temporary.

I need to reset and re-install my RT-N66U to the latest stable Asuswrt-merlin release.

Once I get back to merlin, Is there a "secure" way to remotely wake a system on the LAN side of this router? Secure meaning not available for just anyone via some random portmap.

I can't stay on the factory firmware because VPN doesn't work.

If not, I've considered a raspberry pi running 24x7 on wifi. I can send Wifi WOL packets from my android phone and wake up systems so I'll assume I can do this from pi. I'm also assuming pi will easily support ssh so this may work, but I would prefer no additional systems if I can pull it off.

Can I do this with just the router?

Connect via VPN, then use the WOL page on the router webui.

update. Asuswrt-Merlin stable 380.61 ( RT-N66U_380.61_0.trx ) inbound VPN works great, and the webui WOL worked perfectly.