What's new

+PC to Server backup not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eltell69

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys I have the ax88u as the main router router on my lan and my pc and sever are connected to it using ethernet cables. I use Backup4all software for a mirror backup from the pc to the server and for some reason the backup runs to about 34% then runs really slow as to nearly stopping, I've tried various things and still also sending log files to Softland to see if it's a software issue but unresolved yet. What I was also wondering is if it could be something to do with the router, I'm using merlins 388.1 f/w at present but there was the same issue when using the last version as well, I'm not saying it's the f/w that's causing it but would really appreciate it if there was someway the I could verify this or even maybe allow backup4all to bypass something in lan that could be causing it but without affecting the lan's security settings. Wouls really appreciate your help with this.

have you tried placing a Gbit switch between you and the router for both the PC and the server ?
Should eliminate the router as an issue, either it's LAN ports/switch or something else.

Sorry degrub for late reply but I have same issue with my wifes pc and her pc is connected via a ethernet cable to a ac86u router and a Gbit switch as there weren't enough ethernet outlets on the router for the rest of the network devices. Whereas mine goes to the ax88u via the ethernet cable so both have same issue, a very non exsistent speed to backup server attached by ethernet cable to the ax88u main router.

Try deleting schedule and creating a new one.

Hi BreakingDad tried that plus re-installing the Backup4all software and updating it also. also tried deleting the drivepool on the server and checking the drives and re-creating the drivepool, also various other things on my wifes and my pc so thought maybe a backup4all software passthru if that's what it's called so it avoids any vpn service, all the folders on all the pc's are shared but apparently the particular pc's dont have permission for openning the network hdd's so what's next.

If you transfer a large file directly to the server does it get stuck ? or only through backup4all?

I'm wondering if memory caching is the issue or out of date SMB protocol on the client (v2 not v3)

Last edited:
I've got no access to the hdd over the network from my pc to the mediaserver-pc. I use backup4all to mirror backup my wifes files and my files to the server. If I try to copy and paste a file from my desktop to the servers hdd over the network I'm unable to open the servers hdd's. I've shared all the drives on both the pc's but still lacking permissions to access mediaserver -pc's hdd's. It used to work great but now not so whether it's windows updates or possible router probs I don't know so I'm open to any suggestions to try to resolve this.

The reason I asked about the large file transfer is to see if it's a backup4all issue or a windows issue. Without access to the HDD how do you even upload to your media server?

Also is it a linux or windows based server?

When you transfer a large file, it goes to client memory first, which may account for the 34% running fast, and then it gets stuck when the actual network transfer happens.

Leading me to believe in that case it could be the SMB protocol, the newer versions work faster or it could be missing on the client.

In control panel on one of the client, go to add remove programs and then windows features and check SMB1 protocol is completely on, reboot then try a transfer, also see if you can now see your shared drives.

I might be completely barking up the wrong tree that said.

I don't think it's a router issue, potentially a server or protocol issue, awaiting others @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

Interesting anyway.

Last edited:
The server is running win 10 x64 as well and it used to run great but now doesn't so don't know if it's windows updates or router fw updates althouh I suspect windows, so I'm open to any suggestions as at the moment I'm at a loss as both mine and my wifes pc's wont backup to the server, I assume it's because I can't seem to access the servers hdd althogh I've shared everything. So please come up with any ideas from yourself or colleauges all appreciated BreakingDad

Try checking SMB Client is on, on the servers and SMB Server on the "server"

Make sure Network discovery is on

Make sure these services are on automatic:
  • Function Discovery Provider Host
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication
  • SSDP Discovery
  • UPnP Device Host
Reboot, see if you can see drive, and try a transfer if you can.

Last edited:
Yes on my pc in services the function discovery resource pub was manual so changed to auto and restarted the others who were on auto. I also disabled the smbv1.0 in the turn windows features on or off as I understand it has vulnerabilities, I also enabled smbv2 via PowerShell I found the instructions via google. Still no access to server hdd's from my pc. I did the same on the server pc also.

Sorry i'm outta ideas now, still watching the thread and hoping others will chip in soon.

1) is the "server" running plain win 10 x64 or is it running Win Server version of windows (2012, 2013, etc)

2) go back and turn SMB V1 back on each device. Reboot each device after rebooting "server".
2.1) i assume you can see the "server" pc on the windows lan map ? Correct ?
2.5) can you map the drive in question in file explorer at the drive root (e.g. D:\ ) ?

3) Once each device has rebooted and acquired an IP address ( am assuming all devices are in the same DHCP address pool e.g. 192.168.XXX.yyy , you can also do this by manually assigning static addresses on each device using the same XXX with a different yyy for each) , using just a single switch near the router, connect your PC and the "server" PC to the switch. Do not connect to the router. Does is start working correctly ?

SMB V1 is enabled on windows 10 by default, it is my belief that it is only dangerous on large corporate networks, whereby if someone were to run an .exe of a virus it could be used it spreading that virus over the network. Locally (I think) it is required help network devices connect correctly. It only becomes dangerous should someone on your network run an infected .exe, something your AV should prevent you doing anyway. This is my anecdotal opinion and not security advise, I may well be wrong, but all my computers are running it with no issues for years.

Does that just refer to SMBv1 server? because on my fresh last week windows install the client box is ticked.
Untitled.jpg

Edit:

Ahh sussed it.. that link you posted .,... In the summary it states:

• Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client isn't used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.

Now that's got me wondering, did the OP's SMB auto remove itself, creating this issue>?

Interesting.

Last edited:
Hi degrub my pc is running win 10 pro x64 ver 22H2 the server is running win 10 pro x64 ver 21H2. Turned back on smbv1 and rebooted. I can see the mediaserver in my windows network map in the left pane on my pc and can see all the hdd's but I'm unable to open the drives as it tells me I don't have permission to access \\mediaserver-pc\drives even though I've shared them all on the individual pc's. All my devices including pc's have static ip's on my LAN. That's interesting regarding the switch degrub but I don't have a spare switch. BreakingDad that's interesting what you say about smbv1 and it's re-enabled now but still unable to open the individual drives via explorer. Oh I nearly forgot regarding the windows features turned on or off do I tick or untick the SMB 1.0\CIFS server.
degrub seeing as I don't have a switch can I just use an ethernet cable to connect my pc to the server.

Last edited:
Microsoft's answer to permissions.

Microsoft

or youtube

You Tube

As to if you need SMB server on, i'm not sure, try it with and without and see what happens, can always disable it again.

Last edited:
Hi did you get anywhere with this? @eltell69

Hi BreakDad sorry for the lag but I've been trying different things like reinstalling win 10 on both pc's and also uninstalling the network drivers and reinstalling latest ones also tried a direct ethernet connection between the two pc's and also with a netgear gigabit switch between, it did improve with the direct connection but still seems pretty slow but still working on it.