What's new

Please, advise on mail transport for Asus Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netware5

Very Senior Member
I will appreciate any advices about secure, reliable and easy to administer mail transport system to be installed on RT-N66U with Asus Merlin FW. It should include at least IMAP and SMTP server. The mail transport system will be used to serve a few (less than 10) mailboxes with less than 50 e-mail messages per day. Using SSL and security certificates is essential.

I will appreciate any advices about secure, reliable and easy to administer mail transport system to be installed on RT-N66U with Asus Merlin FW. It should include at least IMAP and SMTP server. The mail transport system will be used to serve a few (less than 10) mailboxes with less than 50 e-mail messages per day. Using SSL and security certificates is essential.

With less than 200 MB of free RAM and disk IO barely hitting 15 MB/s, I wouldn't try that. IMAP would be a pig on such a platform, even using Dovecot (which makes extensive use of indexes to reduce disk I/O).

Mail in general is very I/O intensive.

With less than 200 MB of free RAM and disk IO barely hitting 15 MB/s, I wouldn't try that. IMAP would be a pig on such a platform, even using Dovecot (which makes extensive use of indexes to reduce disk I/O).

Mail in general is very I/O intensive.

Thank you RMerlin for your prompt response. In fact the required parameters (max 10 mailboxes and max 50 messages per day) are a little bit conservative. The reality will be 3-4 mailboxes and 10-15 messages per day average. I am not an expert in maintaining mail servers and had no idea that IMAP needs so much disk I/O. Do you think that even in such "light case" like above the disk I/O will be a problem?

BTW my idea was to use an internal microSD card...

These routers are built for routing/networking. They do not have the resources, cpu and memory, to support things like being a mail server. Better to provision some old piece of PC hardware to act as a mail server. Just my $.02.
--bill

Thank you RMerlin for your prompt response. In fact the required parameters (max 10 mailboxes and max 50 messages per day) are a little bit conservative. The reality will be 3-4 mailboxes and 10-15 messages per day average. I am not an expert in maintaining mail servers and had no idea that IMAP needs so much disk I/O. Do you think that even in such "light case" like above the disk I/O will be a problem?

BTW my idea was to use an internal microSD card...

You will need either fast disks, or enough RAM to have a good cache. The problem in this case is you will have neither of these, so you will be caught with both bottleneck. If for example you have a 200 MB mailbox on the router and you delete a message in the middle, re-indexing everything will be quite resource-intensive.

Running IMAP on my router was something I was myself considering at some point. I ended up getting a Google Apps account instead - all the benefits for a very affordable price (I only have one single mailbox really, the rest are just aliases).

It's a ROUTER - let it do what it does best - push packets around.

I would suggest either looking into building a box, or getting an off the shelf NAS box where you have more storage and memory.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!