What's new

Pls suggest router, details inside

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

v81

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am looking to rebuild my home network to a higher standard, and move away from an all in 1 device.

Internet will be provided by an ADSL2+ / VDSL2 modem in bridge mode.
This followed by a router, PoE switch and and AP (prefer PoE), intend to put it in ceiling close to where it will be used most.

As this is the router forum i will concentrate on that, I'm after a router to sit between the modem and switch.
I'd like better control of what is allowed in and out of the network (after a recent intrusion)
Logging of in/out traffic (if practical, so as to catch trouble next time?) I can provided a syslog server if this is cool.

I'd also like excellent control over how much internet bandwidth is used by each client.

2 example scenarios, internet is 6Mb/1Mb (soon to be ~50/20)...

1) Star Citizen client opens up many connections to download updates, sometimes in the vicinity of 30GB
These many connections (80+) muscle out any other applications to thew point where gaming and Skype are impossible.

2) One user is a youtuber, both watching and uploading.
Particularly when uploading whilst i'm on Skype it leaves me no bandwidth for my outgoing Audio/Video.

So basically, looking for security and excellent bandwidth control.
However not sure if basic QoS is up to the task.

I did purchase a Ubiquiti EdgeRouterLite, this was not properly considered, but maybe it will do the job?
Still, if there is a significantly better device available for my needs i'm happy to put the ERL aside.

mikrotik does a lot better because a lot of what you can do with the ERL cant be done in the GUI.

I have both the highest end of mikrotik and ubiquiti routers and i still prefer mikrotik but i like ubiquiti for the option to run other software.
If you need security in the form of clamav, squidguard, etc than you can use your ERL.

In terms of a configurable router mikrotik is much better as you have more control and can do more than the ERL.

Also mikrotik routers show the system status based on the sensors there are onboard such as for temperatures. The GUI also shows your disk space something i cannot find in ubiquiti's GUI.

Either way for both brands lots of skill and knowledge is required to perform filtering for security and QoS. Both routers can do QoS very well if you know what to do.

Last edited: