What's new

[Preview] 380.57 alpha test builds for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New test builds being uploaded.

Of note:

- Added RT-AC5300 build
- Trying a hack that might allow older models to build properly with the new codebase (needs testing)

Code:
b5eb46f build script: Added RT-AC5300 tree
866dac0 Updated documentation
d6e19e3 stealth mode: Fixed RT-AC5300 support (and potential RT-AC3200 issue as well)
7931a03 shared: Temporary hack to allow building models with pre-380 binary blobs
9cd2b26 Add RT-AC5300 components
0505619 shared: Fix bad merge
7a57ecc entware-setup.sh: New domain

Just to double check, the new test builds are also labeled Alpha 4 dated today?

Yes. The Git hash value is what differentiates the builds, along with the dates.

Working well on my 3200 , made no other changes and now there is a lot more free ram , with previous FW had 50 or 60 mb free , now have 170 mb free .

Of note:

- Added RT-AC5300 build
- Trying a hack that might allow older models to build properly with the new codebase (needs testing)

Code:
d6e19e3 stealth mode: Fixed RT-AC5300 support (and potential RT-AC3200 issue as well)
7931a03 shared: Temporary hack to allow building models with pre-380 binary blobs

Is there any valid reason to update to this latest build for the 3100 ?

EDIT: I upgraded to the latest. I guess it's always good to stay current and all of these builds have been solid for the AC-3100. Thanks Merlin !! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed this on my 5300 and its thumping away beautifully. The UI is far more responsive and having the scheduled reboot back is nice. No wifi drops so far and performance it great.

Thank you Merlin!

Could you add an option to hide/remove the WTFast stuff from the UI and ensure its not enabled?

Of note:

- Added RT-AC5300 build

Code:

Anyone having issues on a RT-AC68U and their 2.4g network?

In both cases, this happened
378.56_2 to 378.57_alpha4-gf1feccb
378.57_alpha4-gf1feccb (clean) to 378.57_alpha4-gb5eb46f

I can connect on the 2.4g network upon upgrade (both main network and guest network) , but I get an APIPA ip (169.x.x.x) rather than an address from my router via static DHCP.

I've also notice when I save a network change on the 2.4g network in http://192.168.1.1/Guest_network.asp that the Guest network settings that I just changed, appear on the http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp page. Weird.

5.0g network seems unaffected. Works after upgrade (I can connect and get ip address from DHCP).

Any ideas?
Need anything from me to help troubleshoot?

Anyone having issues on a RT-AC68U and their 2.4g network?

In both cases, this happened
378.56_2 to 378.57_alpha4-gf1feccb
378.57_alpha4-gf1feccb (clean) to 378.57_alpha4-gb5eb46f

I can connect on the 2.4g network upon upgrade (both main network and guest network) , but I get an APIPA ip (169.x.x.x) rather than an address from my router via static DHCP.

I also got a 169 IP.

Fixed with a physical power off/power on of the router.

I got my FIOS caller id broken with alpha 4, it was functioning fine with alpa 3 so it seems DMZ is not working in this build.
Internet--->68P--->DMZ--->FIOS router.

Are you putting your Fios Modem/Router IP in the asus 68P DMZ setting? I know what DMZ does but doing thise for modem do anything beneficial?

This is the first 380.57 build that supports 5 GHz on my RT-AC66U, so the hack seems to work (for me)!

Giving RT-AC68U_380.57_alpha4-gb5eb46f a shot. So far so good. Like the ASUS 380 firmware, the bandwidth monitors are working better even with both CTF and FA enabled. I have my Wireless turned off so nothing to test there.

I have been running ver.380.57 alpha3 for 23 days now on my RT-AC87U without any problem, the only thing I had to turn of was MU-MIMO on 5GHz since it went my connection to drop from 90-93MBit to 50-60MBit. Clients in network is between 8-15 (wired/wireless both bands).

Will give this alpha4 a try and see how it works.

Keep up the good work Eric with your version of AsusWRT. :)

Attachments

• ac87u_380.57_alpha3_23days.JPG
    ac87u_380.57_alpha3_23days.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 388
Is it now safe to try on my AC 66 as media bridge , has anyone tried as media bridge ? Last time I tried alpha 3 it was no go , would keep looping back to reload FW after I finished media bridge set up .
Any changes with latest alpha 4 for the ac 3200 ?

Are you putting your Fios Modem/Router IP in the asus 68P DMZ setting? I know what DMZ does but doing thise for modem do anything beneficial?
If you have phone and TV FIOS service, the FIOS router needs to be in the network somehow, otherwise, VOD, program schedules and caller ID will not be functional. I can't double NAT it either cause caller id doesn't work, hence DMZed. Oh BTW, The FIOS router is not a modem, it's a router and a MOCA bridge.

Updated my RT-AC68U to latest, no issues so far...
Merlin`s alphas look more reliable than some other companies final releases... :D

And seems like new driver on latest alpha4 has improved wireless throughput a lot over 802.11ac.
11GB MKV file copy from Surface Pro 3 to NAS ~60MB/s, instead of ~40MB/s on 378.56_2 :eek:
Not too bad for Surface Pro 3 2x2 MIMO and 866.5Mbits link rate...

Even with the the latest alpha 4 code loaded on 87U I would see wireless flux on wifi analyzer and keep getting game disconnects on mobile devices even if I'm in the same room as router. Finally gave in and decided to get a 3200 to test. It updated to 378.7838 code. I looked around real quick and upgraded to the Aplha4. I noticed that the the 2 5GHz channels do not have the preamble option with the Alpha 4 like it did with the ASUS FW. But I used telnet command "nvram set wl1_plcphdr=short" to set to short cause "nvram get wl1_plcphdr" indicated long.

Also ran "wl txpwr_target_max" which displayed the tx power for all wireless were 18 dBm (63.09 mW). Interesting cause I remember the 87U were set to 21 dBm (125.89 mW). I would have thought the 3200 TX power would have been closer to the same as the 87U. I know the FCC restrictions and the 3200 has 2 additional antenna, but 63mW sounds low.

The other thing I noticed was in the wireless log section, none of the wireless channels show a reading for SNR. On the 87U only the 2.4Ghz channel did not show this value.

Signal quality looks good on wifi analyzer app. Still see fluctuation but will have to see if we get any connection drops on the android devices.

I'm hoping this resolves my issue, cause I really like the ASUS routers as well as the support and following I see here.

Fingers Crossed !

Thanks Merlin for all your hard work, your FW really makes a difference.

I upgraded my AC68U from alpha 3 to alpha 4 and made a factory reset after the upgrade.
Now i have some problems on 2.4G...
Some clients can connect some can not.
And clients that can connect don't have internet access.

5G is ok, all clients can connect and all have internet access.
No such a problem on Alpha 3 and earlier releases.

Any ideas?

Hello everyone. :)

I signed up here specifically to share my experience on this issue quoted above, but with the latest ASUS 68U firmware!

As a new owner of an AC68U, I upgraded immediately to the latest ASUS firmware when I received the router, and before actually using it. After setting everything up, I found that the 2.4 GhZ band refused to pass internet connections to any device connected to that band. The 5G side worked fine.

Since the hardware does not allow you to downgrade to a previous firmware after upgrading to a newer version, I had to hope that the problem was related to the router itself, so we sent it back and got a brand new replacement from Amazon.com.

Before I upgraded the firmware this time, I checked the 2.4 band with the FW already installed on the 68U from the factory, and it all worked perfectly fine. I then upgraded to the latest ASUS firmware for the 68U and once again the 2.4 GhZ band glitched out and refused to pass any internet connections to any devices connected to the 2.4. Some devices could not even connect, and those that could displayed a constant value of "1" in the TX window for that IP and no internet connection even though they showed up as being connected to the router's 2.4 band.

Looking for an alternative to try, I discovered Merlin and downloaded the 11/3/15 version for the 68U and immediately after completing the update, my 2.4 GhZ band began functioning normally again, passing all internet traffic to and from all devices connected to it.

Since the latest ASUS FW definitely killed the 2.4 band on two brand new 68U units, I am curious if any of the latest ASUS FW code is being integrated into these Alpha builds?

I was considering giving this Alpha 4 a try myself until I read this post, which precisely describes the behavior I saw with the latest stock firmware on two brand new 68Us.

Last edited:
sytem logs >wireless log shows SNR on top of each radios box
Even with the the latest alpha 4 code loaded on 87U I would see wireless flux on wifi analyzer and keep getting game disconnects on mobile devices even if I'm in the same room as router. Finally gave in and decided to get a 3200 to test. It updated to 378.7838 code. I looked around real quick and upgraded to the Aplha4. I noticed that the the 2 5GHz channels do not have the preamble option with the Alpha 4 like it did with the ASUS FW. But I used telnet command "nvram set wl1_plcphdr=short" to set to short cause "nvram get wl1_plcphdr" indicated long.

Also ran "wl txpwr_target_max" which displayed the tx power for all wireless were 18 dBm (63.09 mW). Interesting cause I remember the 87U were set to 21 dBm (125.89 mW). I would have thought the 3200 TX power would have been closer to the same as the 87U. I know the FCC restrictions and the 3200 has 2 additional antenna, but 63mW sounds low.

The other thing I noticed was in the wireless log section, none of the wireless channels show a reading for SNR. On the 87U only the 2.4Ghz channel did not show this value.

Signal quality looks good on wifi analyzer app. Still see fluctuation but will have to see if we get any connection drops on the android devices.

I'm hoping this resolves my issue, cause I really like the ASUS routers as well as the support and following I see here.

Fingers Crossed !

Status
Not open for further replies.