What's new

Problem renaming network clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I'm in the process of renaming my network clients, but so far my new router has only allowed me to rename some of them until I reboot the router. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, is there another way to resolve this without having to reboot the router?

Save yourself from an endless waste of time! :)

OE

I'm in the process of renaming my network clients, but so far my new router has only allowed me to rename some of them until I reboot the router. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, is there another way to resolve this without having to reboot the router?
It would help if you indicated where in the GUI you are trying to rename the network clients. Maybe post a screen shot or two for others to look at. And since you mentioned "new router" is that new router the same as the one in your sig line and running the same firmware indicated in the sig line?
May or may not help but there was some other recent posts of someone having trouble renaming devices on a different Asus router:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/renaming-devices-in-networkmap-doesnt-stick.65597/#post-880531

It would help if you indicated where in the GUI you are trying to rename the network clients. Maybe post a screen shot or two for others to look at. And since you mentioned "new router" is that new router the same as the one in your sig line and running the same firmware indicated in the sig line?
May or may not help but there was some other recent posts of someone having trouble renaming devices on a different Asus router:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/renaming-devices-in-networkmap-doesnt-stick.65597/#post-880531
See attachment for one place I've tried. I also tried creating a temporary fixed IP address, but that wouldn't let me rename there either.

My new router is the one shown in my signature line.

And just in case anyone asks, I installed the Merlin firmware and then did a full factory reset before starting the set up my router from scratch.

Attachments

• Router GUI.jpg
    Router GUI.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 32
One other thing; the example I have shown is not currently connected to the network, but the router seems to think it is.

Check the NVRAM for custom client names to see if any are listed. Try clearing them. Then try setting the name again and see if it sticks.
Using SSH, get list of custom client names:
Code:
nvram get custom_clientlist
To clear those names try each command via SSH:
Code:
nvram set custom_clientlist=""
nvram commit

A reboot I have just done has resolved the issue, including releasing the device I mentioned above from the list of connected devices. When I switched the device (a TomTom Sat Nav) back on, the network client had the name I tried to assign to it before rebooting the router. Also, before rebooting the router, I connected my Amazon Kindle to the network, but it didn't appear in the list of network devices in the router's GUI, so it seems that the list had somehow become frozen in time.

Here's my new setup. The router is mounted on a new wooden wall shelf in roughly the centre of my house at the top of the stairs. All the cables feed down from the loft and the power supply is fed from a Cyberpower UPS. The Internet service is provided by Zen (Full Fibre 900) with downloads typically around 920 Mbps and uploads in the range 600-800 Mbps.

RT-AX86U Pro Installation.jpg

That's the way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it!

A reboot I have just done has resolved the issue, including releasing the device I mentioned above from the list of connected devices. When I switched the device (a TomTom Sat Nav) back on, the network client had the name I tried to assign to it before rebooting the router. Also, before rebooting the router, I connected my Amazon Kindle to the network, but it didn't appear in the list of network devices in the router's GUI, so it seems that the list had somehow become frozen in time.
I have found that reboots resolve an enormous number of issues. It's my go-to troubleshooting tool.