What's new

Question about using a VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Okay, I got this to work following the instructions in that link. Now I have a few questions:

A) When I connect in my phone with OpenVPN it says there's no client Cert. Why is that? Connection works though.

B) I had to change the Auth in the router to default because the OpenVPN App didn't like SHA256 or SHA1. Why is that, and can I use something other than default?

C) The port used is 1194, but doing a port map for my website says my port is closed or (stealthed), how is that possible?

Might want to move this thread to the VPN subforum. I didn't know that subforum existed.

Okay, I got this to work following the instructions in that link. Now I have a few questions:

A) When I connect in my phone with OpenVPN it says there's no client Cert. Why is that? Connection works though.

B) I had to change the Auth in the router to default because the OpenVPN App didn't like SHA256 or SHA1. Why is that, and can I use something other than default?

C) The port used is 1194, but doing a port map for my website says my port is closed or (stealthed), how is that possible?

Might want to move this thread to the VPN subforum. I didn't know that subforum existed.

Welcome to the forum.

I also didn’t know that sub-forum existed. I’d stay here for the while.

Setting up OpenVPN Server is simplicity itself. It has been made simple in recent times, so any tutorials etc more than a couple of years old will be out of date and very misleading.

I’d start afresh if I were you. You shouldn’t need to have to do anything other than set up your DDNS, check you’re happy with the settings (General and Advanced), export the .ovpn file to your client and import it into the relevant OoenVPN app on the client. I think the Default button on the OpenVPN Server page flushes all previous settings. I’d start afresh.

Once you’ve got it running - and it’s so easy it should work first time - then do another port scan on your DDNS address. You should find the port is listening.

The VPN works right now as I mentioned. I asked questions an would like to know the answers to those. They are verbatim and pointed out A through C.

C is especially weird. Latter on I'll test at Shodan.