What's new

Recall Config after factory reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would still have to go to each device, assign the IP, name and the cute logo by hand right?
No.

Yes but thats not the same thing as something gets sticky and that you have to reset your router in order to get rid of the "sticky" application/setting.

And the difference going from one build to another probably can vary some and thus making a device act diffrently than anticipated.
I don't know how this updates gets done, if it upgrade the defaulted values for the intended software or not. Does it keep some core values of old settings resulting it work weird or sluggish with a new software?

It is exactly the same thing - clearly something stuck. Restoring settings on the same firmware (if all is working well) is fine. But if something isn't working fine, restoring your settings defeats the whole purpose of a factory reset. I've also learned from several experiences that restoring settings across major changes in firmware (and in some cases even minor ones, like all the issues recently with 386.9 and up and NVRAM, which was only solved by resetting and reconfiguring by hand) is not a good idea. Sometimes it might work, but who knows what you won't notice, some little thing that isn't right and you just never realize it is to do with the router. Why risk it.

There have been many times on the forum how to copy and restore it... Especially if you're using the Merlin version...

Can you please provide some example settings that behave like this? You repeat it very often but you don't give any details and I would like to check it myself.

One example I can think of is AP Isolation setting for guest networks. If you disable/remove the guest network, that setting stays in NVRAM. Obviously not an issue in that case, just one I can think of.

A more obvious one is if you convert your router to AP mode, then back to router mode, all your old settings come back, they were in NVRAM the whole time.

On a couple of firmware versions early in the 386 code base I also noticed that disabling Guest 1 left behind some of the VLAN 501 and 502 configs.

It is exactly the same thing - clearly something stuck. Restoring settings on the same firmware (if all is working well) is fine. But if something isn't working fine, restoring your settings defeats the whole purpose of a factory reset. I've also learned from several experiences that restoring settings across major changes in firmware (and in some cases even minor ones, like all the issues recently with 386.9 and up and NVRAM, which was only solved by resetting and reconfiguring by hand) is not a good idea. Sometimes it might work, but who knows what you won't notice, some little thing that isn't right and you just never realize it is to do with the router. Why risk it.
One example I can think of is AP Isolation setting for guest networks. If you disable/remove the guest network, that setting stays in NVRAM. Obviously not an issue in that case, just one I can think of.

A more obvious one is if you convert your router to AP mode, then back to router mode, all your old settings come back, they were in NVRAM the whole time.

On a couple of firmware versions early in the 386 code base I also noticed that disabling Guest 1 left behind some of the VLAN 501 and 502 configs.
That's not what's being suggested here. The allegation is that if you turn an option from say, off to on and then some time later change it back to off it then remains "stuck" on, even after a reboot and even though the GUI says it's off. So the question is, which options are supposed to exhibit this "stuck" or "sticky" behaviour? Supposedly the only way to remedy this disconnect between what's shown in the GUI and what's actually in effect is to do a factory reset.

I understand this type of behavior and I have encountered similar ones.
The allegation is that if you turn an option from say, off to on and then some time later change it back to off it then remains "stuck" on, even after a reboot and even though the GUI says it's off. So the question is, which options are supposed to exhibit this "stuck" or "sticky" behaviour? Supposedly the only way to remedy this disconnect between what's shown in the GUI and what's actually in effect is to do a factory reset.
Exactly!

@Piotrek, I read every post made on these forums and extract the base information. Sorry, you'll have to search for those specific posts. There is no way I'll remember which post, in which thread, and from whom.

Also, the point isn't that an option stays 'on', after toggling it from its default 'off'. The point is that other settings and variables are not changed back (either).

@L&LD , It is obvious that disabling a feature (e.g. VPN or Guest network etc.) does not delete the settings of that feature.
However, in your recommendations very often there is information to not enable and disable some functions in order to check their operation because you will need to restore factory settings. And that's what I don't agree with.

You don't have to agree with it. It's real. I'm not talking about VPN or GN either. If I run into a post that exhibits this type of effect, I'll try to remember to ping you.

That's not what's being suggested here. The allegation is that if you turn an option from say, off to on and then some time later change it back to off it then remains "stuck" on, even after a reboot and even though the GUI says it's off. So the question is, which options are supposed to exhibit this "stuck" or "sticky" behaviour? Supposedly the only way to remedy this disconnect between what's shown in the GUI and what's actually in effect is to do a factory reset.

Oh, I misunderstood then. Have not seen that happen where toggling something "off" in the GUI doesn't actually turn it off. I guess in theory if you've done major firmware jumps without resets it might be possible if variable names have been changed etc. But I have seen remnants left behind, some that have an impact and some that don't. Seems like either way it would be a problem, whether it is still fully enabled or only parts left behind.

Not something I've commonly seen be impactful though. I mean if you just disable one feature I don't think factory reset is going to be needed, if you've been messing with a bunch of stuff and things don't seem right, it probably makes sense to do.

The problem is that most people won't know what they enabled/disabled, in what order, and with which other settings/features. They have little to no info to correlate what they're observing with what they did.

Can someone knowledgeable enough fully 'undo' the effects that toggling some settings (or a combination thereof) do to the router? Sure.

A proper reset is probably faster though. That's the point.

The problem is that most people won't know what they enabled/disabled, in what order, and with which other settings/features. They have little to no info to correlate what they're observing with what they did.

Can someone knowledgeable enough fully 'undo' the effects that toggling some settings (or a combination thereof) do to the router? Sure.

A proper reset is probably faster though. That's the point.

That needs an explanation though. Enable what in what order?

I have an RT-AX86U, go through a fully setup from scratch with that.

That's the point. We don't know what triggers these glitches.

This is what I do from scratch. Or when I work on a new customer's router and I (and usually, they) don't know what they've done till now).

Getting to this baseline configuration requires all of 10 minutes or so (depending on the specific router and the CPU/RAM it has).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the point. We don't know what triggers these glitches.

This is what I do from scratch. Or when I work on a new customer's router and I (and usually, they) don't know what they've done till now).

And for further details:

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Fully Reset Router and Network

About L&LD

Order of installing popular scripts | SmallNetBuilder Forums

Proper Static Lease Assignments

Why 8 Alphanumeric SSID Characters

Not connected to ISP when setting up router

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Control Channel Setup 2021

Reset Mini Guide + Control Channel Setup Details

Control Channel Setup (more)

Update/Reset Mini Guide

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

AiMesh Ideal Placement

Getting to this baseline configuration requires all of 10 minutes or so (depending on the specific router and the CPU/RAM it has).

I read it tomorrow, beer has been started pouring down my throat.

But an initial thought (with that i have tested this myself in the real life) i think it's just better to go on a custom made router such as these from Sweden.

https://teklager.se/en/products/router-builder/

The drawback is WiFi 6 or better, but you can always skip that card in the configuration and buy it online from retailer.
There will be no "sticky" settings or "glitches" here and there with this kind of hardware and software.

Price is the same too.

Lol... I can't see any of my customers going for anything like that, particularly at the same price. And there is no guarantee that they won't have their own quirks. 10 minutes to stable is hardly a burden.

Asus is the top pick for Wireless Routers since the Dark Knight, over a decade ago. With good reason. And particularly when it is RMerlin supported.

Anywho, i was just saying, and i want to see this with my own eyes, can we get some measurements from speedtests? CPU load? A video showing a more slugghish UI or something particular.

In general there won't be any sticky settings based on a ON/OFF toggle. And if it would, it would be a wrong coding from the coder team.

I don't care how much someone "experience" something being more slugghish after turning ON/OFF AI protection for example. I want to see the change being sticky and that the only solution is through reset.
List the NVRam settings. Before and after.

No posts or threads will be sufficient. A video will do. Or logs of some sort.

If this would be the case that ASUS routers cannot handle turning settings ON and OFF in a proper way, then ASUS is not a leading company in in home routing technology/assembling others technology. Their 300 dollars or more routers is just a thiefs trick to gain another yatch.

Wow, and all I wanted to know was can I restore a saved Config after a reset. Did not expect a battle.

Mods please close this thread. It has served its purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.