What's new

Factory Reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ronb55

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT-AC68P that I'm getting a warning ( your router is running low in free nvram

I'm running 386.11 firmware right now can just do a factory reset and then install 386.11 back?
Or is there another better to do this? I read maybe in here that you can run this nvram set MULTIFILTER_TMP_T=""
but I have no idea how to do so..I know very little about routers and such
thanks

If you factory reset the router it won't affect the firmware, so you'll still be on 386.11 just with default settings.

I have a RT-AC68P that I'm getting a warning ( your router is running low in free nvram

I'm running 386.11 firmware right now can just do a factory reset and then install 386.11 back?
Or is there another better to do this? I read maybe in here that you can run this nvram set MULTIFILTER_TMP_T=""
but I have no idea how to do so..I know very little about routers and such
thanks

Did you run Merlin's VPN removal script? Doing that will free up NVRAM. So will a factory reset (it will remove the same variables as the script and also clean out lots of other junk).

No need to reinstall the firmware after.

Generally with 386.11 provided one did the correct firmware update procedure, including running the file clear_vpnclients.sh as indicated in the 386.11 change log the low NVRAM issue shouldn't be happening on the RT-AC68U series. One generally does not have to reload the firmware after performing a hard factory reset.

If you continue to have low NVRAM issues after a hard factory reset and assuming one followed the change log directions to run the clear_vpnclients.sh script once post firmware install then use the forum search feature to find the many other recent discussions on low NVRAM on the RT-AC68U series. There are other code, scripts and actions one can run/take to temporarily lower the NVRAM enough for the low NVRAM message to go away. Just note that many of those methods are temporary and do not survive router reboot.

Last edited:
Part of me is enjoying watching the group of die-hards doing what they can to keep their network/router running as it has been.
I wonder when they'll see the benefit of changing things up to what they can be. Sooner than later I expect, as this model has been deemed EOL by the manufacturer.

Generally with 386.11 provided one did the correct firmware update procedure, including running the file clear_vpnclients.sh as indicated in the 386.11 change log the low NVRAM issue shouldn't be happening on the RT-AC68U series. One generally does not have to reload the firmware after performing a hard factory reset.

If you continue to have low NVRAM issues after a hard factory reset and assuming one followed the change log directions to run the clear_vpnclients.sh script once post firmware install then use the forum search feature to find the many other recent discussions on low NVRAM on the RT-AC68U series. There are other code, scripts and actions one can run/take to temporarily lower the NVRAM enough for the low NVRAM message to go away. Just note that many of those methods are temporary and do not survive router reboot.

No need to run the script after factory reset, the reset removes the unused variables. Confirmed by @RMerlin and tested by myself.

Part of me is enjoying watching the group of die-hards doing what they can to keep their network/router running as it has been.
I wonder when they'll see the benefit of changing things up to what they can be. Sooner than later I expect, as this model has been deemed EOL by the manufacturer.

My Ac1900 still running like a champ :)

I'm not die hard, just cheap and I have no need for anything faster right now. Redoing my VLAN scripts for an HND based router would be a pain too.