What's new

Redirect DNS queries

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danielcolquitt

New Around Here
I have recently setup a RT-AX82U running the stock firmware. I have setup the router to use cloudflare for DNS and I would like to force all clients on the network to use the router’s DNS setting, regardless of any settings made on the client devices. Initially I created firewall rules to drop traffic on ports 53 (DNS) and 583 (DoT). I also realise that there is very little I can do to prevent DoH traffic getting through.

Unfortunately, some IoT devices have their DNS settings hard coded in their firmware and will refuse to function if all traffic on ports 53/583 is dropped. Is there anyway, using the stock firmware on the router, to redirect traffic over ports 53/583, rather than simply dropping it — almost like a transparent proxy? I’ve looked at static routes but that only seems to apply to WAN->LAN routes, whereas I want LAN->WAN.

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Merlin's firmware has DNS Filter which does this. I don't use stock firmware but I thought Asus added the same sort of functionality in the current firmware (I could be wrong about that).

Merlin's firmware has DNS Filter which does this. I don't use stock firmware but I thought Asus added the same sort of functionality in the current firmware (I could be wrong about that).
Thank you very much for your response, @ColinTaylor. Unfortunately, the stock firmware does not support DNS Filter and @RMerlin’s otherwise excellent, firmware does not support the AX82U. However, I stumbled across @GNUton’s fork of the Merlin firmware, which does support the AX82U.

I have now setup the DNS Filter and everything seems to be working very well indeed. As a bonus, I also have lots of new settings to tinker with!

Last edited: