What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Could you please describe how aggressively steer to 5Ghz can be done?
Thank you!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I posted already the settings in screenshots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@JDB:
I did some tests and... you really are, but really, number one!
The devices I used to connect to 5 GHz now are always there.
I only know:

1) Device list refreshes badly (a device goes 5 GHz but still points to 2.4 GHz)
2) Devices that are PCs (with Windows 10...) have no name but MAC address
3) No device has an icon

Problems 2 and 3 with the old 380.68_4 were not there, do you also confirm that?
Thanks JDB, thanks... ;)

Reactions: JDB
Yea, the Network Map code was much better in 380 as Merlin maintained it.
Asus have now closed source that code in the new 382 branch and so it has re-gained many of the bugs Merlin added fixes for over the years. It’s a real shame IMO!
As I mention above though, for devices you set manual IP for in the DHCP Server you can work around the issues.

The point on refresh, I find if I’m patient and let it refresh a second time it will correct itself. The System Log>Wireless Log is more reliable for seeing device>band associations and I use it more frequently since moving to the 382 code.

Yea, the Network Map code was much better in 380 as Merlin maintained it.
Asus have now closed source that code in the new 382 branch and so it has re-gained many of the fixes Merlin added over the years. It’s a real shame IMO!
As I mention above though, for devices you set manual IP for in the DHCP Server you can work around the issues.

The point on refresh, I find if I’m patient and let it refresh a second time it will correct itself. The System Log>Wireless Log is more reliable for seeing device>band associations and I use it more frequently since moving to the 382 code.

I am a J2EE developer... ;)
So tell me that... will branch 382 never be merged in the """trunk""" (380)?
Anyway I'm really happy with RT-AC88U and Merlin.
Thanks you that you've told me how to configure this malicious Smart Connect... ;)
I only regret that I have a 200 MB FTTC in Italy and that if I had taken the DSL-AC88U I would have avoided using my modem's handset...
But CPU of DSL-AC88U is "powerful" like RT-AC88U?
WiFi is the same?
And how does networking work?
Thanks again friend... ;)

I think Merlin plans to keep the 380 branch alive for a while with critical security patches only (so it will keep the open source network map code). Most development is focused on 382 now (which already has as many 380 Merlin changes as possible merged into it).

The DSL variant is identical hardware except for the addition of the DSL port instead of WAN port. The DSL variants cannot run Merlin code though as the DSL drivers are not possible to include.

I also have to use a separate DSL modem, but for me it is an advantage.
The modem is on the phone master socket, and then a secure powerline sends Ethernet to my office where the 88U is, so I have the best Wi-fi in the office and the 8x LAN ports.
If I just DSL-88U I would have to get a separate LAN switch in the office and Wi-fi would be not as strong going across the house.

I think Merlin plans to keep the 380 branch alive for a while with critical security patches only (so it will keep the open source network map code). Most development is focused on 382 now (which already has as many 380 Merlin changes as possible merged into it).

The DSL variant is identical hardware except for the addition of the DSL port instead of WAN port. The DSL variants cannot run Merlin code though as the DSL drivers are not possible to include.

Uhm... I do not know where I read that the CPU of the RT-AC88U is more powerful and the "routing" is better.
In addition, however, the RT-AC88U has 8 ports, DSL-AC88U 4.

I also have to use a separate DSL modem, but for me it is an advantage.
The modem is on the phone master socket, and then a secure powerline sends Ethernet to my office where the 88U is, so I have the best Wi-fi in the office and the 8x LAN ports.
If I just DSL-88U I would have to get a separate LAN switch in the office and Wi-fi would be not as strong going across the house.

Ok, but powerline kill VDSL... ;)

1300Mbps powerline and 50Mbps VDSL. Has 0 impact for me!!

Ah ok.
Sorry, I imagined you in the US with 10 GB of FTTH... ;)
In my small Italian village of 4800 men a month ago I had ADSL at 3 (!!!) MB and 0.8 kb upload...
Now at least VDSL at 75-80 MB and 20 uploads, for me gold.

Ah ok.
Sorry, I imagined you in the US with 10 GB of FTTH... ;)
In my small Italian village of 4800 men a month ago I had ADSL at 3 (!!!) MB and 0.8 kb upload...
Now at least VDSL at 75-80 MB and 20 uploads, for me gold.

I’m similar to you, rural UK, small town. Max 80Mbps VDSL, but I am too far from the FTTC to get more than 50 :(

I’m similar to you, rural UK, small town. Max 80Mbps VDSL, but I am too far from the FTTC to get more than 50 :(

And think that I always speak ugly of Italy... ;)
I am about 400 mt from the closet where there is the DSLAM (and where the real fiber is coming) but they are also on a secondary cabinet, that is the pair that leaves the closet before goes to another person and then arrives for me, and this creates attenuation.
Anyway, I repeat, before I went to 3 MB with ADSL2 from
the telephone exchange which is about 4 km).
We have to say that in Italy we have Telecom and for this VDSL I pay 30 EUR every 28 days (yes, in Italy we are stupid, contracts are not monthly so it's as if there were 13 months in a year...).

When viewing the list of clients connected under Network Map > View List, the MAC address is populating the client name instead of using the netbios name. This seems to occur for most devices and various OS. It leads to further problems when say you’re defining openvpn client policy routing. The colon in the MAC address is not an acceptable character so you have to rename it.

Device: RT-AC86U
Firmware: 382.1

Networkmap is now closed source so I can't have it poll the DHCP leaselist like it used to do. I can however make the OpenVPN Desc field accept the colon as a valid character to resolve this side-effect.

About a week ago, Astrill updated their Router Plug-in to 2.9.9.5

Has any tried whether this is now compatible with the 382 branch?

I just installed 382_1 on my RT-AC88u after having problems with the latest asus firmware in relation to my Chromecast. With the latest asus firmware my chromecasts wouldnt even be discoverable from my Android phone. With an older asus firmware (Aug 2016) Chromecast worked perfectly, showed up instantly. With 382_1 chromecasts are discoverable but it takes a bit of time - 10-15 seconds.

Are there prospects for improving this on 382? Should I go back to the latest 380? I hate to use the old Aug 2016 asus firmware because of all the security issues....

Update: Problem resurfaced on the 382 firmware after a while similar to stock firmware symptoms - chromecasts aren't discoverable. Tried 380.68_4 and same symptoms - Chromecasts don't show up at all. Guess I'm back to the Aug 16 Asus firmware for now, as at least that works.. :(

Last edited:
I just installed 382_1 on my RT-AC88u after having problems with the latest asus firmware in relation to my Chromecast. With the latest asus firmware my chromecasts wouldnt even be discoverable from my Android phone. With an older asus firmware (Aug 2016) Chromecast worked perfectly, showed up instantly. With 382_1 chromecasts are discoverable but it takes a bit of time - 10-15 seconds.

Are there prospects for improving this on 382? Should I go back to the latest 380? I hate to use the old Aug 2016 asus firmware because of all the security issues....

Update: Problem resurfaced on the 382 firmware after a while similar to stock firmware symptoms - chromecasts aren't discoverable. Tried 380.68_4 and same symptoms - Chromecasts don't show up at all. Guess I'm back to the Aug 16 Asus firmware for now, as at least that works.. :(

Its appears that's not the case mine show up perfectly fine.

Have you tried searching for them with the home app after rebooting them.
Sometimes they can get stuck in a cycle of thinking they are connected when they are not after a wireless loss.

I regularly use a Chromecast at home on my RT-AC88U (about 2-3 times a week), never had any discoverability issue.

Its appears that's not the case mine show up perfectly fine.

Have you tried searching for them with the home app after rebooting them.
Sometimes they can get stuck in a cycle of thinking they are connected when they are not after a wireless loss.

I regularly use a Chromecast at home on my RT-AC88U (about 2-3 times a week), never had any discoverability issue.

Again it's fine on the Asus August 2016 firmware - always comes up instantly. I wonder if it's some setting that I have or if I should factory reset.....

Had some pretty major issues with wireless mostly and some issues with wired on the ac3100. After installing 382.1 and letting it run for some 20 hours or so, I was getting 382ms latency for wireless connections and around 20 to 30ms latency for wired connections. After hard reboot, the wireless connections went back to 10ms latency and wired connections to <1ms. Had to go back to 380.68_4.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!