What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Now that I've run 382.1 for a few more days, I seem to be experiencing a throughput slowdown within a few hours of either rebooting the router or reconnecting the VPN client.

Download speed drops from 50 Mbps (that's the maximum of my service) to about 18 Mbps (or a little less) in less than 24 hours, maybe even close to 12 hours.

Previously when running 380.68, I checked the traffic analyzer each morning and never saw the download speed through the VPN less than 45 Mbps. I had many weeks of observing this consistent behavior.

But in the short time since upgrading to 382.1, I've never seen my overnight downloads even close to 50 Mbps. If I reboot the router it's okay for a few hours but at some point it bogs down.

I'm going to try 380.69 for a few days to see if I get the behavior I experienced with 380.68.
After trying 380.69 for three days I've had no issues with throughput on the VPN client.

Did anyone else notice issues with 382.1 after a few hours, or is the VPN client not a commoly used feature?

As far as wifi performance dropping and vpn use related I found that switching to the new alpha fixed that problem.

Updating to 382.2_alpha2 and a couple of resets seems to have fixed my friendly name problem, they all seem to retain my entries.

I do have a problem with wireless devices being identified as wired though, my iPhone 6 always seems to get identified correctly, one of my Echo Dots goes back and forth, and the rest of the wireless devices(4-6 depending) all show as wired when they are actually wireless.

The module is currently missing for the RT-AC88U.
Ouch..I think I have to go back to 380.69. I will come back to 382 once the things are settled.
Thanks for quick reply.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC3200/HelpDesk_Download/

Version 3.0.0.4.382.19466 2017/12/21 for RT-AC3200 Source Code ready for download. I know it takes time but do you think will you able to provide your build soon, Merlin?

Many thanks,
guner

No, not "soon". First, I have to evaluate whether that code is compatible or not with the current 18991 code I'm using. If it is, then I have to add the new SDK to the code. The RT-AC3200 support won't happen until 382.3 at the earliest.

On another note, Asus sent me the RT-AC56U GPL, which means I should be able in theory to add it alongside the RT-AC68U in 382.2.

Hi All,
I have a question regarding my new RT-AC3200.

Next year we are getting a glas fiber connection :) and in preparation I bought the 3200 because I want to use VPN profiles to connect to a VPN server.
I read, that I needed the Merlin firmware for using profiles.

The new 3200 came with firmware FW_RT_AC3200_300438219466 and worked fine.
At that point it was time to upload the merlin firmware RT-AC3200_380.69_0.trx , that uploaded fine, but after a reboot I was not able to login, could not reach the 3200 at all.
After some search, I was able to use the "rescue" tool, and flashed the "asus" firmware again. 3200 was working again.

I tried to flash the ASUS 380 firmware, (an old one (380) ) that worked... did a factory reset, and tried to upload the Merlin firmware again.

Still no luck...

The questions:
How do I flash the Merlin firmware, on my router? do I need an older version? Is there a combination, that does work?

In my current situation, I want to use an adsl connection - Fritzbox with dect - AC3200 in AP mode - Switch - devices. That should do the trick regarding my VPN? (When I receive glasfiber, the fritzbox of course will have to move...)

Do I need Merlin for my VPN wishes? (of course in the END I want to use Merlin, but maybe I have to wait for the 382 version)

I am quite new with this router and firmware, so forgive me questions are for beginners. :)

Regards,

Rob

There were major changes in the gui code starting with Merlin 380.68....from the Changelog
IMPORTANT: due to major webui changes, you will need to
either flush your browser cache, or force it
to reload the page (shift-reload) the first time
you access the webui after upgrading to 380.68.

Hi John,
I wish it was that simple, no I could not ping the device at all, used various browsers, etc. only the two white leds on the right, and one on the left where on. During normal operation (With the standard firmware) I can easily reach it.
Can I configure the VPN clients in AP mode? with the Merlin Firmware? My Asus is behind my providers router.

Going from a 382 firmware to a 380 will most likely require a factory default reset. It might be even more difficult with the RT-AC3200 since 382 upgrades its bootloader to handle 128 KB of nvram, while older 380 code can only handle 64 KB. If you had more than 64 KB of settings, your router will fail to boot, and a factory default reset will be required.

Hi RMerlin,
Probably a stupid question, but I can not find the answer. How to go to factory reset, if I can's access the interface?
I pressed the little red button but it does not seem to do the trick.

Rob

That was more than I could hope fore... :) Thank you, I will try to install the latest Merlin firmware again, an do a factory default after that.

Like I described above, my goal is to use a vpn client, and connect the ASUS to my current Fritz box, which is connected via ADSL. I will have to make a separate subnet, I think.

What is the best choice for the firmware here? The ASUS 382, or the Merlin 380?

I found a lot of information on how to connect one router to another... there are a few ways to do this. Do you have any tips for this?

Rob

Edit: Merlin is working now... :)

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks for RMerlin's firmware here. BTW I just upgraded my router from a AC56U to a AC86U, and one of my printer (Epson R2000) is having problems w/ the 2.4GHz Wifi. Specifically it just connects at a reduced 5.5mbps. I never had a problem on my previous AC56U.

Googled for a solution and saw the Xbox problem - turned on "Optimized for Xbox" and all works. Not sure if there's any existing bug in the AC86U's wifi firmware?

Merry Christmas to everyone!

I just saw these warnings in the syslog:
Dec 25 09:09:38 kernel: jffs2: warning: (726) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -209
Dec 25 09:15:08 kernel: jffs2: warning: (726) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -171
Dec 25 09:28:38 kernel: jffs2: warning: (726) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -1747
Dec 25 09:33:08 kernel: jffs2: warning: (726) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -219
Dec 25 09:38:08 kernel: jffs2: warning: (726) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -81
Dec 25 09:43:38 kernel: jffs2: warning: (726) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -495
Dec 25 09:53:38 kernel: jffs2: warning: (726) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -311

What could be causing that?
Router is AC86U, firmware 382.1_2.

Thanks.

Hello,
I have AC88U with merlin firmware 382.1_2 since a couple of weeks.
I have a little problem, very stupid problem :p

When i click on network map i can see all my devices (wired and wireless). But 2 devices that are connected by wireless apears as wired. I dont understand! Any idea??
All my devices are in "wifi mac filter" and in DHCP static list
this is a picture of the 2 devices
Edit: if i go to "wireless registry" in "system log" this 2 devices apears in 2.4ghz wifi :-O

Attachments

• mapa_de_red_davizinho.jpg
    mapa_de_red_davizinho.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 685
Hello,
I have AC88U with merlin firmware 382.1_2 since a couple of weeks.
I have a little problem, very stupid problem :p

When i click on network map i can see all my devices (wired and wireless). But 2 devices that are connected by wireless apears as wired. I dont understand! Any idea??
All my devices are in "wifi mac filter" and in DHCP static list
this is a picture of the 2 devices
Edit: if i go to "wireless registry" in "system log" this 2 devices apears in 2.4ghz wifi :-O
Asus issue, per Merlin: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...80-and-382-branches.42269/page-15#post-366292

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!