What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats for sticking with it....hats off to you.
The relevant part is for some reason outside the 'if' clause that should in- or exclude it.
No biggie, but still annoying.

googleadservices.com couldn't be connected after Abs3 installed

It happens when I shop through Google search

Any suggestion?

googleadservices.com couldn't be connected after Abs3 installed

It happens when I shop through Google search

Any suggestion?
Add it to the white list?

As the developer, I am more concerned why the IPv6 entries are added even if it clearly is not set.
It boggles my mind how that even is possible.

If I were you, I would start over and perhaps follow this guide.
Well, I've followed that guide to the letter. i flashed the newest asus f/w just to see the differences. Not much apart from flashing yellow alert about my wan ip not being external ip, but private ip, which it should be. Silly. Flashed merlin stable again, factory reset, disabled everything I normally disable, apart from spanning tree, never heard of it before, disabled anyway... got all my mac assigns setup, but left my vpn client till after I redo AB. Ipv6 was disabled by default, tbh I can't remember if it was by default before. Anyway, anything else I should do/check before proceeding?

edit: sorry, only just see your other reply about bug... good to know it's caught at least..

Last edited:
It works, it would be nice if its in default whitelist as shopping through google is quite common

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Look at the domain name: googleADSERVICES.com. It says a LOT! While it may be common, those that generated the lists obviously think differently than you do. That is why TheLonelyCoder implemented white and black lists.

Well, I've followed that guide to the letter. i flashed the newest asus f/w just to see the differences. Not much apart from flashing yellow alert about my wan ip not being external ip, but private ip, which it should be. Silly. Flashed merlin stable again, factory reset, disabled everything I normall disable, apart from spanning tree, never heard of it before, disabled anyway... got all my mac assigns setup, but left my vpn client till after I redo AB. Ipv6 was disabled by default, tbh I can't remember if it was by default before. Anyway, anything else I should do/check before proceeding?
Read a few posts up -- the developer found a bug.

I'm logging all DNS request to my USB stick and AB-Solution is already installed on USB Stick, so I can edit config files by hand.

Logs are being rotated every 8 days, how can I change this to log for a longer time?

There is a file named "rotate-logs.add", I've changed it with notepad like that;

# delete log files older than 8 days (needed if adblocking is off and logging is on)
if [ $(find $dnsmasq.log* -mtime +800) ];then
oldfile=$(find $dnsmasq.log* -mtime +800)

but didn't worked. If you think I'm a big noob don't hesitate to tell; I know I'm :)

Question: If I have logging enabled on AB-Solution I don't see the usual devices renewing their IP's in the router system log file. Is there something in the configuration I can change to allow me to keep logging enable on AB-Solution but still see the usual router stuff in my system log?

I'm logging all DNS request to my USB stick and AB-Solution is already installed on USB Stick, so I can edit config files by hand.

Logs are being rotated every 8 days, how can I change this to log for a longer time?

There is a file named "rotate-logs.add", I've changed it with notepad like that;

# delete log files older than 8 days (needed if adblocking is off and logging is on)
if [ $(find $dnsmasq.log* -mtime +800) ];then
oldfile=$(find $dnsmasq.log* -mtime +800)

but didn't worked. If you think I'm a big noob don't hesitate to tell; I know I'm :)
AB-Solution has many checks built in to auto-correct errors and missing files. It is almost impossible to change the log file rotation without many changes to files.

Anyway, I would NOT recommend a log file that is 800 days old. The larger the file(s) the slower your router gets.
It is best to add a separate script to copy the file before it gets deleted, which is half an hour before the hosts file updates weekly.

Also, if you have weekly stats enabled it really needs to rotate, otherwise the stats computing would bring your router to it's knees with the large file.
Also, tinkering with any AB script may be detected by AB and the file will be replaced automatically. An update to a newer version will also replace all AB files.

I have built these checks in so that AB runs as smooth and error free as possible.

Question: If I have logging enabled on AB-Solution I don't see the usual devices renewing their IP's in the router system log file. Is there something in the configuration I can change to allow me to keep logging enable on AB-Solution but still see the usual router stuff in my system log?
I'm not sure this has anything to do with AB, dnsmasq does not log to the syslog, AB logging enabled or not.

what kind of syslog messages are you missing? I can't remember ever seeing messages about device IP renewals. Do you have another script running which may be using dnsmasq logging, perhaps with dhcp logging turned on?

what kind of syslog messages are you missing? I can't remember ever seeing messages about device IP renewals. Do you have another script running which may be using dnsmasq logging, perhaps with dhcp logging turned on?
Likely --log-dhcp manual entry or some such.
But if the log facility is defined that goes to the logfile, not syslog.

I normally see this kind of stuff in my system log:

Jan 3 10:57:41 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.2.68 a4:70:d6:xx:xx:xx
Jan 3 10:57:41 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.2.68 a4:70:d6:xx:xx:xx DavesCellPhone
Jan 3 10:58:01 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.2.58 e8:b4:c8:xx:xx:xx
Jan 3 10:58:01 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.2.58 e8:b4:c8:xx:xx:xx Samantha
Jan 3 11:08:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.2.12 18:d6:c7:xx:xx:xx
Jan 3 11:08:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.2.12 18:d6:c7:xx:xx:xx TL-SG108E
Jan 3 11:09:49 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.2.48 40:88:05:xx:xx:xx
Jan 3 11:09:49 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.2.48 40:88:05:xx:xx:xx MJsCellPhone
Jan 3 12:37:59 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.2.80 14:22:db:xx:xx:xx
Jan 3 12:37:59 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.2.80 14:22:db:xx:xx:xx eero
Jan 3 13:49:40 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.2.11 00:1b:a9:xx:xx:xx
Jan 3 13:49:40 dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.2.11 00:1b:a9:c3:cb:fc BrotherPrinter

When I turn on logging in AB it doesn't show. I'll try it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Likely --log-dhcp manual entry or some such.
But if the log facility is defined that goes to the logfile, not syslog.

Yes these are manually entered reserved IPs but I think the regular DHCP items also log to the system log, just not when I have AB logging enabled. Like I said, I'll try it again...

looks like AB solution dnsmasq postconf entries may be altering dhcp logging setting made by another script

I turned AB logging back on and turned off the wireless on my cell phone. Then I re-enable the WiFi on my cell phone and reconnected but no dhcp entry was logged in the system log. I do have: Log DHCP queries under the administration tab set to ON.

I turned AB logging back on and turned off the wireless on my cell phone. Then I re-enable the WiFi on my cell phone and reconnected but no dhcp entry was logged in the system log. I do have: Log DHCP queries under the administration tab set to ON.
AB directs dnsmasq to log to file.
There is no other way around this, only one log exists.

I must be blind... i can't see that setting in my UI..... what firmware are you on?

Status
Not open for further replies.