What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just upgraded on my AC87 and in the port forwarding page, the column for Local IP, the ip address is no longer automatically detected.

I installed 380.61 on my RT-N66U last week and I am having no issues per se. I am also a first time user and wanted to say great job as this code has opened up some long awaited features, wish I would have found you much sooner.

I am having an issue or living with a feature I wish would get resolved. The problem is this, I use Home-Assistant and the built in ASUSWRT module to perform device tracking and the router has a problem letting go of stale devices. This means when someone leaves they are never reported correctly as being gone which really mucks with my automation code. I have found when this happens I can overcome this by simply removing the arp entry using 'arp -d <entry>' or 'ip neigh delete <entry>'. Others have reported rebooting the router will temporarily resolve the issue, but eventually (within a day) the problem will come back.

TIA for any responses or suggestions..

I do have question though System LOG >wireless log This is not show the names of wifi devices correct, All wireless devices have names per the mac address, all device have actual name on the device that mirrors the same names in mac address to be sure the router pick up the correct name.

Yet some of dont show the name and or show some random andriod_###### and not all the device are android, This has always been like this, Some page like client status/list etc show correct names for devices , Wireless log dont neither does Realtime ip tracking, and consider all these device have ever changing ip the ip it lists as used is useless to me.

I put Names on the Wireless devices in mac address for reason, it make it easy to see what is what and track things.

This has been a long standing issue, Am I to assume it asus bug that they need to fix?

Don't think this is the correct behavior on my RT-AC68U. I looked at my Monthly Traffic Monitor and it only had September while the Daily goes back to August 5th.

DGIn5OM.png

Unfortunately, I don't recall looking at it during August to know if it listed August then. I don't use a USB stick to save the data to so it always gets wiped after a reboot or firmware upgrade, etc. Guess I'll pay more attention as the months change.

Yes, the wireless log shows the device name, IP, and MAC.. The difference is this, an active connection shows connected time and correct flags (usually PAU or AU) and the stale device having been removed from the network some 20 mins ago still shows MAC, IP, and Name with 0:00 connected time and no valid flags.

Now I am not sure what is actually holding onto the stale device, I only know the state to look for and what will clear it at least temporarily. It also seems to me that this should be something that is tunable?? I was thinking about creating my own script to deploy in /jffs/scripts to monitor and prune entries when they become stale and I might still look to do this if it appears there is no other solution. I guess I am hoping someone has a better idea?

As for whether this is a bug or a feature, I really don't know... I am betting ASUS would say they never intended this status information to be used to drive presence detection/home automation.

the stale device having been removed from the network some 20 mins ago still shows MAC, IP, and Name with 0:00 connected time and no valid flags.

I believe it's based on the DHCP lease. It will show up until the lease expires.

Yes, the wireless log shows the device name, IP, and MAC.. The difference is this, an active connection shows connected time and correct flags (usually PAU or AU) and the stale device having been removed from the network some 20 mins ago still shows MAC, IP, and Name with 0:00 connected time and no valid flags.

Now I am not sure what is actually holding onto the stale device, I only know the state to look for and what will clear it at least temporarily. It also seems to me that this should be something that is tunable?? I was thinking about creating my own script to deploy in /jffs/scripts to monitor and prune entries when they become stale and I might still look to do this if it appears there is no other solution. I guess I am hoping someone has a better idea?

As for whether this is a bug or a feature, I really don't know... I am betting ASUS would say they never intended this status information to be used to drive presence detection/home automation.

There not disconnected, they connect to the wifi, they just dont show correct names it even show connection times and flags so they are connected

I believe it's based on the DHCP lease. It will show up until the lease expires.

I don't believe this is true as dhcp lease is simple association of MAC to IP for a set period of time... This is independent of whether the device is in-use or not. I can also tell you I have many wired devices which also use DHCP and they do not exhibit this behavior, unfortunately they are not worth tracking from a automation standpoint.. I guess my point is this, there has to be some part of this that is related to wifi.

But let's just say for arguments sake you are correct. How would I prove it?

There not disconnected, they connect to the wifi, they just dont show correct names it even show connection times and flags so they are connected

I hate to sound argumentative, but don't think this is it either.. I simply turned off wifi on my connected iPhone and it still shows up with same status as I describe below).

I also believe you misunderstood my previous post, or perhaps I worded my post poorly.. When a device does not exhibit the desired behavior and disconnect on its own it shows up in wireless log but does not show connected (00:00, which I take as not connected) with no valid flags. In order to be connected doesn't the device have to have at least A (associated) and U (authenticated) to be connected?

I do have question though System LOG >wireless log This is not show the names of wifi devices correct, All wireless devices have names per the mac address, all device have actual name on the device that mirrors the same names in mac address to be sure the router pick up the correct name.

Yet some of dont show the name and or show some random andriod_###### and not all the device are android, This has always been like this, Some page like client status/list etc show correct names for devices , Wireless log dont neither does Realtime ip tracking, and consider all these device have ever changing ip the ip it lists as used is useless to me.

I put Names on the Wireless devices in mac address for reason, it make it easy to see what is what and track things.

This has been a long standing issue, Am I to assume it asus bug that they need to fix?

You are probably mixing up device descriptions and hostnames. The wireless page shows the exact hostname, as provided when the DHCP server allocates a lease to the client. Whatever you enter on the networkmap however is just a device description.

No I am not, Hopper 3 is named at Hopper 3 via MAC address allow list, But it internal name is Hopper_BR this is ALWAYS connected short of router reboot or hopper3 reboots. some time the wireless log dont show name, other time wrong name and some time correct name, but it mac address is clearing listed there and connected, just the Traffic Manager - Traffic Monitor per device page some time list it as Hopper_BR other times it show no name.

Another example is my Smart TV it internal name is 60XBR930c it mac address name is 60XBR930c, now wireless log will sometimes show that other times it will show no name or it might even show Android_######, Traffic Manager - Traffic Monitor per device does same exact thing it either show the name correct, show no name, or wrong name.

Both device are always connected.

This has been issue since for ever. is it not possible to make the router show the correct name for all device on all pages.

my ocd make this issue for me when I trying to fiqure out what device is what cause name are wrong/not displayed

USB Applications -> Media Services and Servers -> Network Place (Samba).
Thanks again. One more question on this please. I have a WD Cloud drive that connects via network cable to the router and not USB. Does the master browser setting have any effect on the media on it since it isn't USB? Just my curiosity since that setting is under USB Applications.

Thanks again. One more question on this please. I have a WD Cloud drive that connects via network cable to the router and not USB. Does the master browser setting have any effect on the media on it since it isn't USB? Just my curiosity since that setting is under USB Applications.

A LAN's master browser has to do with windows file sharing within the network - it's not related to USB storage.

A LAN's master browser has to do with windows file sharing within the network - it's not related to USB storage.
Thank you! I do appreciate the information. I also want to let you and everyone with the RT-AC3200 know my small issue after upgrading. I didn't reset to default afterward and I started noticing videos in web pages were studdering during playback in Firefox and Edge. I had rebooted the router twice but still had the problem. After resetting to default this issue is gone and everything is running well.

Might have issue here I not sure..

When I first put 360.61 I had my normal Speeds
https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/4919331

Now I geting

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/4940996

Now I already tested Modem direct to pc and do that gave me back my 100 mbit
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/4941541

So I once again Disconnect power from modem and router let them sit for 5 minutes power on the modem and then router and what I got was results like this

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/4940996

Im gona see what happens tommorow if speed threw router go back to normal if not I will test modem direct to pc again and see if speeds return.

Last edited:
So I fiqure out why my speeds went wierd I recently Starting using Firewall- URL FLitering it had 42h entries SO i disabled Url Flitering and got the following

I renabled Url Flitering with 42 filters and got

I droped Url Flitering to 4 entries and got

So either URL Filtering is buged or it has rather heavy performance hit to ISP speeds even with just 4 filters there a hit of like 20mbit with 42 there is hit of like 60 mbit

Is this to be expected if using Firewall- Url Filtering? or is not normal?

Though I dont not see how or why URL Filtering should do this or even effect speeds in anyway way. it not like any of those sites are be ping/visited or even mention in those speeds tests

Side note I notice this fw defaults to asus loop back and previous version all use merlin is reason for this change? not that I ever noticed diffrence between the 2

Last edited:
Hello!

I got Asus RT-N66U. After the latest firmware update (380.61) I been having a ton of issues with the 5GHZ band.
I tried different channels, I tried to let it do auto. I even tried with DFS channels.

But it seems to disconnect all the time. It's not just the computer but other devices as well. I did a factory reset on it after I updated. Using the GUI to do it. So it should be clean?

Anyone got any tips or trix I can try?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

L&LD post :
Use new ssid's for all bands (you can use the same passwords) and make sure all ssid's, passwords and network device names are all alphanumeric (only). This takes care of possible 'microcode' differences that is stored on each connected device and may cause you issues when using different (not just 'newer') firmware, but the same ssid's.With just a few devices on a particular network; you could elect to 'forget' and then re-associate each device with the router again, but a new ssid ensures you won't forget to do this.
Oh sorry I forgot to add. My networks has always been seperated. I never use the same SSID on networks since I rather have it neatly seperated.

I cleaned my profile on my PC, same issue. Tried on my Phone, same problem.

Oh sorry I forgot to add. My networks has always been seperated. I never use the same SSID on networks since I rather have it neatly seperated.

I cleaned my profile on my PC, same issue. Tried on my Phone, same problem.

To clarify, try using completely new/different ssid's than you've ever used before. No special/reserved characters (alpha numeric only) and to make sure, do a full reset to factory defaults and then manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. And, try the steps in the link Sanna1967 provided too (particularly the additional step of clearing the NVRAM and also reformatting the JFFS partition too, a few reboots are required just for these steps alone).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

To clarify, try using completely new/different ssid's than you've ever used before. No special/reserved characters (alpha numeric only) and to make sure, do a full reset to factory defaults and then manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. And, try the steps in the link Sanna1967 provided too (particularly the additional step of clearing the NVRAM and also reformatting the JFFS partition too, a few reboots are required just for these steps alone).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573
Alright will do!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!