What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.67 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.67 is now available for all supported models. This release includes a number of significant changes, in addition to merging Asus's 380_7743 GPL code. The highlights:

• Merged with Asus GPL 380_7743, except for the RT-N66U which still uses some components from 7378 (Asus hasn't released 7743 for this model).
  • User-provided SSL certificate for webui. The certificate can now be saved to the /jffs/ssl/ directory as key.pem and cert.pem, where it will be reused beteen reboots, and can also be replaced by the end-user. Configuration can be found under Administration -> System.
  • TLS support in vsftpd. Key and certs are also stored in /jffs/ssl/ as ftp.key and ftp.crt.
  • fq_codel support for Adaptive QoS. This is achieved by intercepting calls made to the Linux traffic classifier by Adaptive QoS and replacing them by the selected discipline (codel or fq_codel - sfq being the original default scheduler). Packet overhead can also be adjusted, either by manually configuring it, or by selecting one of the existing presets. If in doubt, either use whichever is closer to your connection type (cable, ADSL, VDSL, etc...), or leave it to 0.
  • PEAP/MSCHAPv2 support for 802.1x on WAN interface, for ISPs requiring it.
  • Components were updated to their latest versions: minidlna, nano, openssl, ipset (ARM).
  • vsftpd was upgraded from 2.0.4 to 3.0.3. You might need to revise any custom configuration you have made it any.
  • Webui optimizations to all images, reducing their filesize.
  • Tor now runs as a limited user, instead of as root.
  • Limited RT-AC3200 OpenVPN clients to 2 max, to save on nvram.
  • Various fixes to OpenVPN, UPnP and others - see the changelog for more info.

I'm delaying the push to the online update server for a few hours, just in case there's any show-stopper coming up since this has a number of important changes, so it's normal for the update notification not to report anything for a while.

Please consult the changelog for the complete list of changes.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

@RMerlin any changes from the beta4?

AiCloud was fixed.

Code:
 $ git log 380.67-beta4..380.67 --oneline
1d97633 Updated documentation
3b8a727 Bumped to 380.67 final
836afeb ssl: make gencert specifically look for a recognized type, else default to web
d49ba1a lighttpd: pass cert type to gencert.sh instead of a random value (which was never used anyway)
609526f Updated documentation

DLing now for n66u...stay tuned...
UPDATE: had to re-tweak a few things that had changed, but nothing significant was changed. 5GHz band seems much more reliable/improved.
Update 2 - it seems that the reboot has re-started my ab-solution instance. Now I have to update that too . Previous dirty flashes didn't make that happen...

Last edited:
Thanks @RMerlin

One small point to be aware of is that after my upgrade from Beta 4 the QOS Queue Discipline reset itself back to sfq from fq_codel. I think I have seen this previously at some point and never made a note of it.

After switching back to fq_codel everything is running great.

I've just spotted that my QoS Statistics graphs aren't updating when the values change every 3 seconds:
upload_2017-7-16_23-43-24.png

I'm using Adaptive QoS, Manual Bandwidth settings with fq_codel on my RT-AC68U

I know this might sound annoying to some, but I still hope there will be some good souls out there to explain this QoS subject to this beginner :)

I've noticed there are 3 options for Queue Discipline under QoS menu (sfq, codel and fq_codel). Do I need to keep it on sfq as it is by default, or should I change it to something else? I am on quite slow ADSL connection (comparing to most other people), it should be 10 Mbps download and around 1 Mbps upload. In reality, it is never above 8.5 Mbps download and 0.62 Mbps upload. I have two gaming consoles (PS4 and Xbox One S) which of only 1 is on at the time when we game. Two smartphones, one old iMac and one Windows machine. Windows machine is hardwired and everything else in on WiFi.

Is there any reason to move from sfq to something else (and what exactly should be set under SELECT PRESET field, and value in the box next to it... also that ATM checkbox, should it be checked or not?), or should this noob just leave it and not touch anything to avoid screwing up something badly ? :))
Thank you all for your precious time to even look at this post.

Cheers!

Also, on another note... I see one of the changes in this new firmware update is regarding Web UI image sizes and their optimization. I just took Merlin logo from the top of my router page, and played with compression. I managed to get it down to 4 Kb (from original 8 Kb). Loss in quality is virtually impossible to notice, since some really extensive PNG compression algorithms are being used. I use quite old application to achieve this.

I understand this might not be the best place to post this, but if Merlin ( @RMerlin ) is interested in getting all the images smaller, without obvious loss of the quality (at least there is none to "normal" human eye), I am free to help. I am sure others would like their Web UI to load faster and of course free up some resources if possible.

For now, I am just attaching a PROPERTIES windows for original Merlin logo, as well as the one that's processed and compressed to squeeze the file size while keeping the quality to the highest possible. Please click this image below to see the full size, the sharpest possible.

I will also attach both PNG files here for comparison (note that Powered by Asuswrt-Merlin won't be visible here due to the bright background of this forum).

TfUNBKW.jpg
merlin-logo.png
merlin-logo-compressed.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Glad to see you have the confidence to name it version 380.67 instead of 380.67_0 ;-)

All releases have always been like that. The webui hides the extension if it's 0.

I understand this might not be the best place to post this, but if Merlin ( @RMerlin ) is interested in getting all the images smaller, without obvious loss of the quality

I already recompressed all images in 380.67, saving 565 KB total. The file processor spent nearly an hour recompressing them on an i7 7700K. There's a point tho where you hit a diminishing return, and you also end up putting an increased load on the clients which must decompress those images. Might not be important for a desktop, but on a mobile phone it would make a difference, while the transfer time will be pretty much identical, but the browser would need to spend more time decompressing everything. So I didn't crank compression to the extreme maximum, but went with a reasonable compromise, one that was also 100% lossless. I have no desire to push things any further at this point because of this.

Rmerlin,

What should we put under wan overhead in qos if we are using fiber connection? ATM?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upgraded from 380.66 without factory reset, so far so good, WEBGUI reacts faster, MU-MIMO is on its final release, happy for now, thanks for the job.

Model: RT-AC88U

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!