What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No, they are not. Only the GT-AC5300, RT-AC86U, RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 are on the new 382_xxxx versions so far. There has been no new release yet for the other models.
What are the advantages of upgrading to the 382 versions Eric? Forgive me if you have already answered this. I have been occupied with life and have not kept up with these forums as of late. Hope life finds you well.

BTW, take a vacation! :eek: You will be greatly missed. :oops: However we will still be here when you get back. :D

What are the advantages of upgrading to the 382 versions Eric? Forgive me if you have already answered this.

Same as all the previous update. It's just a higher version bump because it contains a lot of changes, just like when we went from 374 to 376, 378 and then 380. Asus generally had one such major jump each year. 382 just took longer than usual because they were also working on adding the new HND platform, doing some major rework related to security, etc...

All currently actively developed models will see the jump to the 382 series at some point in the future.

So, you get the same advantages as any other 380_xxxx update: bugfixes, new features, security fixes, etc... It's not a "new" firmware, it's just what's coming next, and as it was being worked on in parallel to the recent 380 releases for an extended period of time, it contains more changes than the usual 380_xxxx update.

100% Core 2 CPU usage

Sorry if I step in uninvited.
I experience extreme load on cpu core 2 (AC87U) and next to nothing on core 1.
I haven't got a clue as to what could be causing it...
I do run 3 OpenVPN clients, although none of the devices to which they relate are active [Redirect Internet Traffic =>Policy Rules (Strict)]
Anyone experiencing similar situation?
Enclosing gui screenshot and result of a 'top' telnet call.
Thanks...

I do, time to time. This is something with kernel and there is no solution other then restart router.

@RMerlin

I was using the Asus Beta Aimesh fw for the 5300 one and my wired connection became a mess, even after a hard reset, came back to your FW and everything is working like a charm again

Just for curiosty, a beta and no stable fw can medd so much with a wired connection?

The second CPU core is fully occupied with I/O.
Thanks for the response.
Is that a normal state of things (i.e., easy as no load on core 1), or should I try figure what I/O tasks are keeping that core so busy? Where should an apprentice look at first?...

@RMerlin

I was using the Asus Beta Aimesh fw for the 5300 one and my wired connection became a mess, even after a hard reset, came back to your FW and everything is working like a charm again

Just for curiosty, a beta and no stable fw can medd so much with a wired connection?

The AiMesh beta contain far more changes than just the addition of AiMesh support. A number of thing can go wrong with a beta firmware, causing all kind of unexpected issue. Could be a driver change, debugging code left active, a mis-configured switch, etc...

Thanks for the response.
Is that a normal state of things (i.e., easy as no load on core 1), or should I try figure what I/O tasks are keeping that core so busy? Where should an apprentice look at first?...

First likely cause of high I/O would be USB disk activity.

I would also look for any potential network loop if you are using an external switch, for example, or having a device use both Ethernet and Wifi at the same time.

The AiMesh beta contain far more changes than just the addition of AiMesh support. A number of thing can go wrong with a beta firmware, causing all kind of unexpected issue. Could be a driver change, debugging code left active, a mis-configured switch, etc...

First likely cause of high I/O would be USB disk activity.

I would also look for any potential network loop if you are using an external switch, for example, or having a device use both Ethernet and Wifi at the same time.
That was indeed an USB stick (as a power source for the cooler) which wasn't properly plugged into the router.
Thank you for your help.

What about simply using the option within the router webpage to unmount the device?

This is what I do.

If I don't unmount it the drive always has error on it after the update. And sometimes requires an reinstall of AB-Solution. But this is just for me it may very for others.

I noticed a strange issue that seems to have been introduced in 380.68 for me. I set a channel manually and after a few days, it switches. Happens with both 2.4 and 5. For example. I have my 2.4 set to channel 6. I verified after a reboot that it was broadcasting on 6. Now, it has suddenly switched to 1 (as reported by the network log as well as client tools). I tried searching the forum for "channel switching" but nothing came up. This is on the RT-AC68P with 380.68_4.

I noticed a strange issue that seems to have been introduced in 380.68 for me. I set a channel manually and after a few days, it switches. Happens with both 2.4 and 5. For example. I have my 2.4 set to channel 6. I verified after a reboot that it was broadcasting on 6. Now, it has suddenly switched to 1 (as reported by the network log as well as client tools). I tried searching the forum for "channel switching" but nothing came up. This is on the RT-AC68P with 380.68_4.

Set channel width to 20 MHz. Having 2.4 GHz set to 20/40 will cause that kind of problem - the router doesn't always handle channels properly after downgrading from 40 to 20 MHz (in the past, it would often automatically revert to channel 6 when downgrading).

My RT-N66U on 380.68_2 set to 40 MHz after one or two days changes to 20 MHz but on settings shows as 40 MHz. It only started happening with this firmware.

My RT-N66U on 380.68_2 set to 40 MHz after one or two days changes to 20 MHz but on settings shows as 40 MHz. It only started happening with this firmware.

This is mandatory per the 802.11 specs. Devices have to back out of 40 MHz if there's interference,.

I've reverted back to 380.67 for my AC66U in Media Bridge mode. It is way faster than any of the 380_68 versions. Why?
My main router AC87U is on 380.68_4 and works well.

I've gone back to RT-AC3100_380.66_6 that does NOT have this issue.

RT-AC3100_380.66_4, RT-AC3100_380.66_2, and RT-AC3100_380.65_4 have missing icons.

Web interface Appears to first break with RT-AC3100_380.67_0.
Web UI still breaks with RT-AC3100_380.68_4.

Back on RT-AC3100_380.66_6, no issues with Web UI.

What can I do to help fix this?

Thank you for your reply
Will fallow your instructions
=====
I install the Asus build :3.0.0.4.380_7743 and tried it for 3 day
Now I want to go back to Merlins firmware RT-AC68U_380.68_4 but I am receiving a message hat reads:

"Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This might result from incorrect image or error
transmission, please check the model name RT-AC5300 and version of firmware "

I rebooted and removed my USB Drive before trying to update
Do I have to do something else?
Thank you
Mario

Hello - I'm running 380.68_4 with an IP address of 192.168.2.1. But I have found that after a reset, that it sometimes gives out the DNS address as 192.168.2.84 to some devices on my network, which is wrong and causes the device to not connect to the internet as it should. If I do a release and renew on that device, then 380.68_4 will correctly give out 192.168.2.1 as the DNS address, which then resolves to 8.8.8.8 or whatever as set within the router. Nowhere have I set 192.168.2.84 as a DNS address in the router, so I do not know why it is working in that way. Also I do not recall having this problem with 380.67_0, so I am now trying that f/w to see what happens. But at least I know that 380.68_4 has this problem. BTW, I have a VPN running using OpenVPN, so maybe there is an erroneous interaction with that?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!