What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Router always on.
Sure, I will try that, thanks !
I know for a fact it helps me, I used to leave the router on for days at a time, then it started to get buggy, reboot schedule fixed it.

Set channel width to 20 MHz. Having 2.4 GHz set to 20/40 will cause that kind of problem - the router doesn't always handle channels properly after downgrading from 40 to 20 MHz (in the past, it would often automatically revert to channel 6 when downgrading).

Same thing happened again. Had 2.4 set to 20 MHz / channel 6. All of a sudden I notice today that it is channel 1.

I know for a fact it helps me, I used to leave the router on for days at a time, then it started to get buggy, reboot schedule fixed it.
Schedule doesn't change anything.
And it even seems to freeze when there are no torrents downloading, just the torrent client up and running, I don't understand !

Hi RMerlin,
I would like to know if you already inserted the "PPPoE Host-Unique TAG" as John did in his Merlin-Fork firmware for RT-AC68U router.

In waiting of your news,
best regards and thank you for all your hard work with your (FANTASTIC !!) custom firmware.

Filippo.

Schedule doesn't change anything.
And it even seems to freeze when there are no torrents downloading, just the torrent client up and running, I don't understand !
Odd it fixed my router slow down and upnp bugging out, would you looked to pm me and we could try and see what's happening in the background.

Hi RMerlin,
I would like to know if you already inserted the "PPPoE Host-Unique TAG" as John did in his Merlin-Fork firmware for RT-AC68U router.

In waiting of your news,
best regards and thank you for all your hard work with your (FANTASTIC !!) custom firmware.

Filippo.

The option was added by Asus, but I don't remember in which version.

That's difficult to substantiate or refute. If it helped you can't prove it because the problem(s) never occurred. If you can't document it then it never happened. Then on the other side of the coin what if there are issues that take place over time without rebooting. Then how do you prove that "failure to reboot" is at fault, when it never happened?

Personally, I have my router reboot weekly as it can't hurt.

That's difficult to substantiate or refute. If it helped you can't prove it because the problem(s) never occurred. If you can't document it then it never happened. Then on the other side of the coin what if there are issues that take place over time without rebooting. Then how do you prove that "failure to reboot" is at fault, when it never happened?

Personally, I have my router reboot weekly as it can't hurt.
I had issues with upnp not clearing correctly it had left on for weeks at a time with no reboots I noticed after about 3-4 days upnp would bug out router want as responsive as it is after a reboot, I could document it ill have to look for the screen shots of up time, then again my net work set up is complex. Though I had a friend with similar issues his unit slowed down till he had it on a reboot schedule.

Last edited:
in this new firmware , i connected the samsung s7 enable the tethering on the phone but the secondary WAN is still disconnected . the old version works

@RMerlin I know you don't plan on continuing on this branch for obvious reasons, but running into some issues with the outdated wget from 2014 that's baked in.

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-EE20:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/wget https://iplists.firehol.org/files/bambenek_c2.ipset -O-
--2017-10-30 14:16:49--  https://iplists.firehol.org/files/bambenek_c2.ipset
Resolving iplists.firehol.org... 2400:cb00:2048:1::6812:2cbe, 104.18.44.190, 104.18.45.190
Connecting to iplists.firehol.org|2400:cb00:2048:1::6812:2cbe|:443... failed: Network is unreachable.
Connecting to iplists.firehol.org|104.18.44.190|:443... connected.
OpenSSL: error:14094410:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert handshake failure
Unable to establish SSL connection.

From what I have read here and here, the error is because the baked in version of wget (1.16) doesn't support TLS 1.2 which is required by the server in question. Support was only added in wget (1.16.1+)

The suggested way to fix this is to simply update to a newer version, I can confirm this is fixed in newer versions of wget by downloading the latest windows binary. So my question is, what are the chances we can get this merged in?

So my question is, what are the chances we can get this merged in?

Worth taking a look, as long it doesn't break anything else.

I don't have anything planned yet for 380, so I don't know when the next 380 release will happen. Could be in a few weeks (if Asus comes up with a Krack update for the 380 branch), or it could be a few months if I'm waiting to have enough changes to justify a new update on that branch.

But at least the wget update won't be wasted since it would be the same for the 382 branch.

As an alternative, look at possibly switching to curl, which is (IMHO) a much more complete software. I mostly keep wget in there because the firmware relies on it, otherwise I would have considered replacing it with a curl wrapper.

Asuswrt's wget doesn't contain any customization, so if you want to test it yourself, replace the entire content of router/wget/ with what's in wget-1.19.2's tarball. Do not just patch changes, as it won't work - there are some gnulib compatibility issues between the m4 files Asuswrt has and those of gettext. Replacing the whole wget source tree seems to work on 382, so I assume it also would on 380.

The option was added by Asus, but I don't remember in which version.

Hi RMerlin, scuse me but I don't understand if Host-uniq Tag is already included in your actual custom firmware for Asus RT-AC68U. Can you clarify me about it?

Best regards and thank you again!
Filippo.

Hi RMerlin, scuse me but I don't understand if Host-uniq Tag is already included in your actual custom firmware for Asus RT-AC68U. Can you clarify me about it?

Best regards and thank you again!
Filippo.

Yes it is. Asus added a while back, so it was also added to my firmware when their GPL was merged in.

Any chance we ever get an update with the key reinstallation attack vulnerability fix?

For this to be possible, Asus needs to provide a fix, which it does not have yet for the 380 branch. There is one for the 382 branch which is less than a week old:
Version 3.0.0.4.382.18219 2017/10/24

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.18219
Security fixed
- Fixed KRACK vulnerability
- Fixed CVE-2017-14491: DNS - 2 byte heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14492: DHCP - heap based overflow

There are no updates from Asus on their Security Advisory page either

here is one for the 382 branch which is less than a week old:

And they still haven't published a GPL drop for it either.

I updated from 380.67 to 380.68 on my RT-AC88U and on the System Info page, the Ethernet Ports doesn't appear to be reading the Lan 5 to 8 ports correctly with respect to the VLAN and last device seen info. If displays NA and Unknown respectively for those ports despite all ports being used (link state appears correct). Lan ports 1 through 4 and WAN display correctly. I've cleared cache and also powered my router off and on.

Everything else seems to be working from my brief testing.

View attachment 10153

This is normal. That information cannot be retrieved from the Realtek switch, which is what it says that.

Funny, I just updated from 380.68 to 380.68_4 and I could of swore that the additional 4 ports on the AC88U was reporting its information in 380.68 but gone from 380.68_4, came here to post about it and then saw these replies already. Guess I was just imagining the info there before? Any more confirmation that this info can not be retrieved and displayed?

I use the ddns-start script to put the (new) IP address in my privoxy config.

This works fine on my AC66U, but not on the AC56U and AC68U of family members... (the IP is empty on those)

Why?

(I think I might have asked this before, but could not find it via search - sorry)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!