What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thank you @RMerlin - 380.68 works like a charm on RT-AC68U

just one question, regarding black box in background is this space between "header" and bottom part normal ?

Google Chrome v60 on Win7 64bit, I did CTRL + R few times
y4mEpl_SVf5xL4cwH0jCjlZT_jyDTMifD9xstgMLnnyBgQcp0VOrXRLOmFwo_Hw_v_lmCjpFxOCA0GIkE-iBmTDTtTSUcMyWQyb9BsW49UQcX3q3K1O1bj3MeQzQ-O-AmB-dvQ5q6lbYf7rSI-AjsJBqfsrh25rXEMumcqp7Hh5I98TG6LbZEyOOh4I67S7Zt8_4eH7DnOv54T0HkTEmiwFew

@peraburek

As the icons on the left side in the menu are missing as well, try clearing your entire cache or do SHIFT + clicking refresh icon to force reload the entire page. CTRL-R is a regular refresh, which doesn't force the cached content to be reloaded from the server (your router in this case) and isn't sufficient. CTRL-F5 should do the trick too, as long as the cached files for the routers WebUI are being retrieved entirely, otherwise your UI won't show correctly.

As far as the black box concerns, there's a gradient in the top header towards black at the bottom, and below a thin light blue line there's a black background indeed. Look at the screenshot below, taken in Chromium Version 60.0.3112.78 on Lubuntu 17.04 (32 bit edition).

kDVZ0y1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I Presume its using a portion of NVRAM for JFFS.

No. JFFS and nvram are totally unrelated, the amount of available nvram is hardcoded to a fixed value (64KB or 128 KB depending on the router model).

Even if he does end up supporting this router, I am not sure that now and in the future getting Merlin in there is going to be a smoking gun to that (and future) routers woes. Asus is closed sourcing many of it's components with the newer routers, and newer platforms. If you look at the GT-AC5300 for example (Sold mine), many of the complaints are around QoS (Closed source), VPN (closed source), etc... So even if Merlin was building for Router, I think his response will start to become very similar moving forward with "That components is closed sourced by Asus, I have no insight to what it's doing".
qos has been closed source on all of the routers, that support it it would be nice if we could replace it, with an open source variation that ties into the data base of adaptive qos.

I ran into a small quirk on my 380.67->380.68 upgrade that I have not seen in any other upgrade going back to 380.64. After upgrading both radios were set to disabled. Had to manually turn both of them back on. Other than that 380.68 running smooth as silk on my 68U.

That's not guaranteed. 382 presents a few problems, the biggest one being that it will be a nearly 24 months jump in code from the code I was using - really difficult to merge that amount of changes. And quite a few components are now closed-source with 382. So it's not decided yet if I will be moving to 382 or not.

No. At this time, I don't have any plans to support the GT-AC5300. Too many things are unique to this specific model, which would mean a lot of additional work specifically for it. I can't shoulder that increased amount of work on top of everything else.
Thanks. Still appreciate your great work.

@doczenith1 - I have upgraded two AC68U yesterday from 380.67 to 380.68 and I didn't experienced that radios were disabled, maybe it was some code from previous versions (did you do reset to factory defaults, between firmware updates?)

@RMerlin - something is strange with DUAL WAN in new 380.68, I am using 3G/4G USB dongle Huawei E3372, Dual-Wan is configured so Primary WAN is running PPPoE and Secondary WAN is USB dongle

however on Asus Router UI it shows Seconday WAN "network cable disconnected" which doesn't make sense but it is not a big thing, but 3G/4G USB dongle is not shown anymore in USB devices list

is anybody using dual-wan with USB dongles or USB Android phones, what is your experience ?

how can I test dual-wan functionality from SSH without phisicly disconnect primary WAN cable
I thought of this, but it doesn't work, any ideas how to improve this "dual-wan-test-script"

ifconfig eth0 down (bring down primary WAN port)
sleep 600 (wait 10 minutes, during those 10 minutes, I can see if secondary wan works fine, etc.)
ifconfig eth0 up (bring up primary WAN)

Last edited:
@RMerlin

I've followed online instructions to flash a TM-AC1900 into a RT-AC68U (CFE 1.0.2.0) and it all went well; then upgraded firmware to 380.68 and the router perform as expected after manual configuration. I did test Skynet, AB-Solution, L2TP and OVPN client profiles, even a Smart Sync client to a RT-AC68P with iCloud Sync Server. So, great work as usual and thank you for that Mr. Wizzard.

Now, I am curious about the Ethernet Ports table not displaying on the home page. To rule out browser issues, loaded up the UI in the latest Chrome, Firefox, and IE11 but all had the same result.
The Ethernet Ports table located under the Tools tab shows up just fine, however.
This is not a big deal for me, just curious really, any thoughts?

upload_2017-8-25_10-7-34.png

@RMerlin
Now, I am curious about the Ethernet Ports table not displaying on the home page.
View attachment 10221

I have an RT-AC88U, and I do see the Ethernet ports. Unfortunately, only four are displayed - with a scroll bar that I have to use to see the rest. Would be really nice and clean if I could see all eight and get rid of the scroll bar. Using Chrome primarily. Thanks.

@RMerlin

I've followed online instructions to flash a TM-AC1900 into a RT-AC68U (CFE 1.0.2.0) and it all went well; then upgraded firmware to 380.68 and the router perform as expected after manual configuration. I did test Skynet, AB-Solution, L2TP and OVPN client profiles, even a Smart Sync client to a RT-AC68P with iCloud Sync Server. So, great work as usual and thank you for that Mr. Wizzard.

Now, I am curious about the Ethernet Ports table not displaying on the home page. To rule out browser issues, loaded up the UI in the latest Chrome, Firefox, and IE11 but all had the same result.
The Ethernet Ports table located under the Tools tab shows up just fine, however.
This is not a big deal for me, just curious really, any thoughts?

View attachment 10221

Never mind..!

It seems that without an active connection the Ethernet Ports table will not appear on the UI home page.

Maybe a small bug?

Never mind..!

It seems that without an active connection the Ethernet Ports table will not appear on the UI home page.

Maybe a small bug?
No, it's how it was designed by Asus.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thank you @RMerlin for 380.68
I have RT-AC68U and I found that minidlna is ignoring "Rebuild entire database at start" settings from Media server settings page.
No matter what is set, rebuild of entire database is done on every restart of media server/router.

Output from ps command:
Code:
minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -r

flashed 380.68 to the ac3100 and im seeing random radio disconnects and then the radios will disappear and i have to power off then back on to see them again. tested on all three 3100 i have here same results (one was still shrink wrapped new i opened to test on that one also)? previous firmware 380.67 was perfectly stable i did reset the router and try clearing nvram. same results. any thoughts? so far i cant pinpoint a trigger causing it, seems totally random so far happened 5 times today with the unit in currently using. cpu load is not crazy high when it happens nor is memory?? thank you for all your time and work!

edit forgot to mention the unit does seem to be running a bit hotter also now.

Possible Issue with upgrade from RT-AC3200 Merlin firmware 380.67 to 380.68.

Updated to 380.68 and everything seemed to be running smoothly for many hours. However a household member couldn't access www.costco.com & www.angieslist.com. Browser displays "Access Denied: You don't have permission to access "http://www.xxx.com/" on this server". Tried several different computers and browsers. Same issue. Using a mobile device switched off of network and connected to sites via phone carrier...connected no problem. Tried different DNS services with same issue. Downgraded to 380.67 but with same settings... same issue. At this point, saved my settings, did reset to factory defaults, restored settings...same issue. So reset to factory defaults again and manually inputted enough settings for internet access, tried above web pages. They worked! Upgraded to 380.68 and tried above web sites...nope didn't work...gave "access denied by server".

So my conclusion was 380.68 has some sort of issue which "blocks" these web sites (maybe more). Most of my personal browsing didn't run into any issue. Just these two sites a household member tried to access.

So downgraded back to 380.67 and reset back to factory defaults. Manually inputted all my previous settings. Currently works like a charm. So don't know what's up?

PS: Haven't had any issues with my radio settings or disconnects. Yet.....

Which source files are responsible for handling ARP and Neighbor Discovery? Is that in the closed source driver? I have a situation where the firmware bounces between responding and not responding to those requests. It's not new to 380.68, it's happening across multiple different RT units, multiple different stations/clients, happens on Merlin and Asus Stock, and factory reset isn't fixing it either.

Thank you @RMerlin for 380.68
I have RT-AC68U and I found that minidlna is ignoring "Rebuild entire database at start" settings from Media server settings page.
No matter what is set, rebuild of entire database is done on every restart of media server/router.

Output from ps command:
Code:
minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -r

It looks normal here. With rebuild enabled it uses -R (rebuild), without it it uses -r (rescan).

I got a AC88U yesterday and the first thing I did, was to install Merlin 380.68.
So far so good - everything is working as expected and known from my old AC66U device. Only the Wifi-Speed is not so good (with the AC66U it was about 180MBit down, with the AC88U I have around 60MBit down with 5G - I have tested with different devices).
I know that there are plenty of other wifi-networks around so I wanted to check the site survey to check the channels.
I can start the site survey but no results are shown - it doesn´t matter if I use active oder passive scan mode.
Any ideas why it´s not working anymore?

Of course I tried different Browsers - FF, Chrome, Vivaldi ..

Tests via LAN shows full Speed 250Mbit

just downgraded to 380.67 and the disconnection issues go away and i have no issues now. i lost wifi 2 more times after my previous post and its way to frustrating but by downgrading its fine now and whats weird is when i was using the 380.68 beta 1 i did not have the disconnection of wifi issues only with the current 380.67

I got a AC88U yesterday and the first thing I did, was to install Merlin 380.68.
So far so good - everything is working as expected and known from my old AC66U device. Only the Wifi-Speed is not so good (with the AC66U it was about 180MBit down, with the AC88U I have around 60MBit down with 5G - I have tested with different devices).
I know that there are plenty of other wifi-networks around so I wanted to check the site survey to check the channels.
I can start the site survey but no results are shown - it doesn´t matter if I use active oder passive scan mode.
Any ideas why it´s not working anymore?

Of course I tried different Browsers - FF, Chrome, Vivaldi ..

Tests via LAN shows full Speed 250Mbit

I tried on my AC88U and the site survey populated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online