What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I doubt that QoS applies to services running on the router itself, as the rules are configured between the LAN bridge (br0) and the WAN.

Thank you for replying. So Essentially any services such as the download manager running on the router, wont be tracked. In that case, maybe, I need to try putting another router which is dedicated to download torrents, so that the same can be tracked.

QOS on per device basis mean some device have QOS other device do not? How
Well, what I have done is limit bandwidth based on IP ranges so that the bandwidth of the devices that connect to the router is controlled. And I have assigned IP on the devices, so that they automatically fall into the IP range that I need them to fall in. DHCP only basically works on the devices that I have not identified earlier, and as such the DHCP range gets the lowest amount of bandwidth.

My question was, while this works wonderfully, in the traffic monitor, I am unable to see the bandwidth consumed by the download manager. So I was wondering if there was any way in which the same can be achieved.

And Merlin replied that "I doubt that QoS applies to services running on the router itself, as the rules are configured between the LAN bridge (br0) and the WAN." so that makes it almost impossible for the bandwidth consumption (of the download Manager) to be monitored by the traffic manager.

hello, i upgraded from .64 and i cant connect with any device to the internet but my vpn client is working.
i made a reset und installed the ovpn client and added
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "route-ipv6"

the client does connect successfull but i have no connection with the devices. any ideas?
i think it is an dns problem. but i dont know how to fix it.

Last edited:
How big is the problems with the Astrill applet...

..does it affect the Astrill UI only or more?

..is the Astrill applet still usable (ie it just looks ugly) or functions are missing/not working?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

hello, i upgraded from .64 and i cant connect with any device to the internet but my vpn client is working.
i made a reset und installed the ovpn client and added
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "route-ipv6"

the client does connect successfull but i have no connection with the devices. any ideas?
i think it is an dns problem. but i dont know how to fix it.

As you have already made a reset, by which I assume you mean restoring the router to factory default settings, you are clearly familiar with how to do it. So I would say, do it again, but this time do not install any VPNs or anything else, to begin with. Just set it up with the basic settings and get it working, then, slowly, once you are happy everything is working, you can start installing exotic things like VPNs, one at a time.
This is the strategy behind L&LD's minimal and manual configurations when setting up.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-often-does-everyone-upgrade.38333/#post-315904

Follow this and you can't go wrong. And certainly, if it is a DNS problem, you'll know about it at the start and troubleshooting will be so much easier: less guesswork and more method.

Last edited:
First of all - thank you Merlin. I like this firmware.

I have just noticed small issue, and I think maybe it is not directly connected to 380.68, that at guest network setup I am now missing option to set it to WPA2-Enterprise mode.
I am pretty sure that I have set it (and Radius server) up no longer than three months ago which would be one of the 380.66s, but now, when I try to edit settings for it I got this.
AC66_380.68_GNet.png
Only three options - Open, WPA2-Pers, and WPA1. Even as it IS set to Enterprise mode. If I enable another guest network, it has the same three options. If I enable Enterprise for main SSIDs, it the same. I tried to downgrade to 380.66_6 and it was the same. With 380.68 I tried to restore factory settings and... the same.

Please, does any one have any idea what could be causing this?

First of all - thank you Merlin. I like this firmware.

I have just noticed small issue, and I think maybe it is not directly connected to 380.68, that at guest network setup I am now missing option to set it to WPA2-Enterprise mode.
I am pretty sure that I have set it (and Radius server) up no longer than three months ago which would be one of the 380.66s, but now, when I try to edit settings for it I got this.
View attachment 10200
Only three options - Open, WPA2-Pers, and WPA1. Even as it IS set to Enterprise mode. If I enable another guest network, it has the same three options. If I enable Enterprise for main SSIDs, it the same. I tried to downgrade to 380.66_6 and it was the same. With 380.68 I tried to restore factory settings and... the same.

Please, does any one have any idea what could be causing this?

My router (RT-AC68U) behaves exactly like yours. But it strikes me this is probably deliberate, not a bug. After all, it's a guest network, designed for visitors. Is it feasible that the administrator would want to start setting up WPA2 Enterprise on a guest's device when WPA2 Personal is more-than-adequate security? (The visitor would probably be ready to leave by the time the administrator had managed to get WPA2 Enterprise working.)

Last edited:
Since you started porting over code from 382, does that mean you ended up getting a GPL beta package for it?

According to this:
https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.asp...uage=en-us&page=1&board_id=11&model=RT-AC5300

ASUS says that the 382 branch will be released Sept-Oct this year.

Not for any of the models that I support. The pieces I'm reusing come from the RT-AC86U and the BRT-AC828 GPL - that's why it's almost entirely webui-related. The RT-AC86U is based on GPL 382, while the BRT-AC828 got a few backports from 382.

I upgraded my AC68U, after reboot the network works fine - but I can't access the web administration page. It goes into an endless loop of reloading the page:
https://192.168.1.1:8443/Main_Login.asp

I thought it could have something to do with the warning to refresh the browser cache in the changelog. So I deleted the cache in my browser, but that didn't help. Then I tried three different browsers, one I installed for this purpose. The behaviour is the same on all.

Is the next step to perform a hardware reset of the router? Anything else that can be tried?

Thanks in advance!
Try a different browser, and also make sure you use the IP instead of a hostname. HTTPS support has always been quirky, and I can't track down the cause. Some browsers work better than others.
Have you tried to open the default webUI at port 80 (http://192.168.1.1 or http://router.asus.com)? Otherwise you can try a factory reset (see https://www.asus.com/support for instructions on your model) and a power cycle (disconnect the power, let it be for a couple of minutes, connect the power cable and let it boot) and see if that fixes your issue.
Try clearing your browser certificate database.
This happens to me as well. Previous version this does not happen.

SSH in, reboot, fixes it.

Asus 3200.

Hey guys - thanks for the tips. It was nothing to do with my browser, I installed new ones, used different machines, etc... Tried with Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Edge and even Internet Explorer.

Since I had SSH disabled I did a factory reset and it works fine now.

@DiGriz - did you have HTTPS-only mode enabled? Could be affecting only people like us who disabled HTTP.

Thanks RMerlin! AsusWRT-Merlin is just awesome.

There's one difference in behavior with 380.68 that I'm curious whether it's an intentional change or not. When "Enable Dual WAN" is set to OFF and "Primary WAN" is set to USB, in previous versions the "Internet Connection" tab would change to the "USB Modem/USB Tethering" setup page. Now I'm seeing the "WAN-Internet Connection" setup page there. The only way I can get to the USB Modem page is by going to the "USB Application" section then selecting "3G/4G" -- which changes the "Internet Connection" tab one time only. If I navigate away and come back the tab reverts to WAN settings. I did a reset to factory defaults and flushed my Chrome browser cache with no change.

Your great work is much appreciated.

I was using the menuTree code from the BRT-AC828 GPL, which doesn't handle the modem page the same way as other models. Fixed by switching to the code used by the RT-AC86U 382 GPL instead (which is more generic).

Also fixed a bug in Asus's code where the Internet Connection tab wasn't shown as clicked while on the modem page.

Not for any of the models that I support. The pieces I'm reusing come from the RT-AC86U and the BRT-AC828 GPL - that's why it's almost entirely webui-related. The RT-AC86U is based on GPL 382, while the BRT-AC828 got a few backports from 382.

Ah ok, so as soon as you get the GPL bundles for 382 for the models you support, which supposedly get released in Sept-October, the fun starts :)

My router (RT-AC68U) behaves exactly like yours. But it strikes me this is probably deliberate, not a bug. After all, it's a guest network, designed for visitors. Is it feasible that the administrator would want to start setting up WPA2 Enterprise on a guest's device when WPA2 Personal is more-than-adequate security? (The visitor would probably be ready to leave by the time the administrator had managed to get WPA2 Enterprise working.)

Well, how to... I set up ONE visitor account in radius, which can be handed out easily - and it composes from TWO keywords, not just one, so it's harder to guess or brute force attack. And is easier to hand out. (Here you have name - wifiguest, and password - youwillgetwifi).
In addition to that this is for visitors I see one more reason - it is simple way to have dual ssids where one is with full network access and the second have access only to internet, but not to LAN.

Ah ok, so as soon as you get the GPL bundles for 382 for the models you support, which supposedly get released in Sept-October, the fun starts :)
Hi...
Do I read between the lines that GT-AC5300 will be supported by MrMerlin along the line?:)

Hi...
Do I read between the lines that GT-AC5300 will be supported by MrMerlin along the line?:)

Seems more like wishful thinking than anything I've seen posted above.

Successfully upgraded from 380.67. No issues so far. Thank you Merlin!

Hi...
Even if he does end up supporting this router, I am not sure that now and in the future getting Merlin in there is going to be a smoking gun to that (and future) routers woes. Asus is closed sourcing many of it's components with the newer routers, and newer platforms. If you look at the GT-AC5300 for example (Sold mine), many of the complaints are around QoS (Closed source), VPN (closed source), etc... So even if Merlin was building for Router, I think his response will start to become very similar moving forward with "That components is closed sourced by Asus, I have no insight to what it's doing".

That's not guaranteed. 382 presents a few problems, the biggest one being that it will be a nearly 24 months jump in code from the code I was using - really difficult to merge that amount of changes. And quite a few components are now closed-source with 382. So it's not decided yet if I will be moving to 382 or not.

No. At this time, I don't have any plans to support the GT-AC5300. Too many things are unique to this specific model, which would mean a lot of additional work specifically for it. I can't shoulder that increased amount of work on top of everything else.

Hey guys - thanks for the tips. It was nothing to do with my browser, I installed new ones, used different machines, etc... Tried with Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Edge and even Internet Explorer.

Since I had SSH disabled I did a factory reset and it works fine now.

@DiGriz - did you have HTTPS-only mode enabled? Could be affecting only people like us who disabled HTTP.

I do not use HTTPS. My theory is its running out of NVRAM, I purchased a USB thumb drive Hoping to move JFFS stuff over to it. I haven't done this yet. I Presume its using a portion of NVRAM for JFFS. I dont know, as a fact? All I know is that version 380.66_6 does not do this. and anything newer, does. After a few days of uptime the web gui becomes unavailable. Very frustrating.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!