What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I went with a 4-in-1 usb hub from Anker, it's working as expected (they recommend not to excede 900mA of combined power usage).

Currently just using 2 of the 4 available usb 3.0 ports (but it's on the 2.0 port), and one of those is the Multifunction Printer which I turn on rarely. The other is the 1TB HDD I use for my file backups.
The miniSSD with entware/diversion is on the 3.0 USB port.
Now the hassle of unmounting, unplugging, plugging, unplugging and plugging is a thing of the past :D
I would use one that has its own power source vs relying on the shared power provided by the one port on the router.

I would use one that has its own power source vs relying on the shared power provided by the one port on the router.
For real though I have seen parts melt because of either uninformed or overzealous power usage on a usb port. That is why it is always better to have independently powered hub.

Have a brand new RT-AX88U, flashed Merlin, erased the NVRAM, did the M&M and booted the thing. Now after 3 days I come to the conclusion that it keeps rebooting the WiFi at intermittent moments. The log does not show anything. During that time my vpn client (l2TP) is blocked so no internet traffic for a while. Did the installation completely over but still the same problem. Anyone a suggestion (the two AC5300 are configured as AP with proper cabling). Your input is highly appreciated.

Have a brand new RT-AX88U, flashed Merlin, erased the NVRAM, did the M&M and booted the thing. Now after 3 days I come to the conclusion that it keeps rebooting the WiFi at intermittent moments. The log does not show anything. During that time my vpn client (l2TP) is blocked so no internet traffic for a while. Did the installation completely over but still the same problem. Anyone a suggestion (the two AC5300 are configured as AP with proper cabling). Your input is highly appreciated.
Manually configure your wireless channels , if they are set to auto...----- also enable roaming assistant...

Manually configure your wireless channels , if they are set to auto...----- also enable roaming assistant...
Thanks, will give it a try by enabling roaming assistant (I have the channels already manually configured).
Any logic behind the enabling of the roaming assistant?

Thanks, will give it a try by enabling roaming assistant (I have the channels already manually configured).
Any logic behind the enabling of the roaming assistant?
You.have three competing routers they are all access points you have two options
Option 1
Set them all to the same channel and let suffer slight performance loss, but have less connection drops.
Option 2
Enable roaming assistant, and strategically place the routers around your house , space out your channels.

Enabling the roaming assistant in theory is suppose to make the change of 'ap' easier so they properly transition from one to the other.

1. Correct.
2. No, these don't affect download speeds.
3. You're missing out on DNS encryption.

These have all been asked before ad nauseam.

Thanks for replying, and apologies if those queries have been addressed before. I didn't mean to ask redundant questions. I always try to research before asking for help on any dedicated forum, and avoid starting new threads as much as possible, hence my comment on an ongoing discussion.

However, most of those settings are new to Asuswrt-Merlin, only implemented in the current stable version of the firmware, so it's expected for them to cause some degree of confusion, especially in the wake of its release. Not everyone here is an expert, but if they took the time to create an account and post even after doing a modicum of searching, they are most certainly interested in learning more.

That being said, I'm still not sure exactly what "Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS" does. I can only find posts suggesting to turn that setting off, but no actual explanation as to its function. The info on the WebUI ("Useful if your upstream DNS is a Windows server") isn't of much help.

I'd also like to have a better understanding of DNSSEC, as some sources claim that it does have an impact on performance. I know that DoT interferes with some applications, like Steam, causing download speeds to be severely reduced. My ISP's DNS servers are the fastest (measured with DNSBench). Ideally, I'd keep using them for all of my devices, with any and all possible security features enabled.

Finally, some users don't seem to agree whether "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" should be set to "Yes" or "No". What's the final word on this?

You.have three competing routers they are all access points you have two options
Option 1
Set them all to the same channel and let suffer slight performance loss, but have less connection drops.
Option 2
Enable roaming assistant, and strategically place the routers around your house , space out your channels.

Enabling the roaming assistant in theory is suppose to make the change of 'ap' easier so they properly transition from one to the other.
Thank you for the input. The problem still exists. I have switched off the AP's and have the router just running. Did all the suggested settings but still the wifi part of the router intermittently reboots and blocks all traffic during that process.

Thank you for the input. The problem still exists. I have switched off the AP's and have the router just running. Did all the suggested settings but still the wifi part of the router intermittently reboots and blocks all traffic during that process.
May 25 12:40:56 kernel: FPM Pool 0: invalid token 0x00948000 freed
May 25 12:46:52 kernel: FPM Pool 1: invalid token 0x22220000 freed
After 2 of these messages the wifi stops and router reboots

RT-AC3200 with Merlin 384.11

Download speed is a lot lower from the router side than directly connected to the mode.

All tests have been completed using CAT6 cable with a 1Gb LAN on laptop on www.netmeter.co.uk

Connected laptop to virgin modem via CAT6 cable download avg is 340Mb, full results attached.

Connected laptop to Router via modem with the same CAT6 cable download avg is 262Mb full results attached.

Any help please!?!

Attachments

• Speed issues.JPG
    Speed issues.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 482
  • Speed issues.JPG
    Speed issues.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 445
I'm having a difficult time understanding this DNS over TLS option.
I believe I have everything set correctly in the WebUI on Merlins build 384.11_2 for my Asus RT-AC87U, but can someone confirm it for me.
All the tests I run seem to say I'm not using DNS over TLS or Cloudflare's DNS.

When I change:
Validate unsigned DNSSEC replies to NO
then all my tests come back as using Cloudflare DNS and DNS over TLS.

From what I'm reading, I should have Validate unsigned DNSSEC replies set to YES, but that breaks the tests.
So I just want to confirm I'm using the correct settings.

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 604
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 659
  • DHCP.JPG
    DHCP.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 687
  • WAN.JPG
    WAN.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 690
  • DNSFilter.JPG
    DNSFilter.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 666
I believe I have everything set correctly in the WebUI on Merlins build 384.11_2 for my Asus RT-AC87U, but can someone confirm it for me.

When I change:

From what I'm reading, I should have Validate unsigned DNSSEC replies set to YES, but that breaks the tests.

Thanks
i have same settings as you, however, the only difference is i have Connect to DNS Server automatically set to 'yes'.

i have same settings as you, however, the only difference is i have Connect to DNS Server automatically set to 'yes'.

Thank you for confirming my settings are correct.

When I change:

Thanks
CloudFlare's test pages for DNSSEC are buggered. Don't go by them.
They will always come back "No" or "?" if you have 'Validate unsigned DNSSEC replies' enabled.

RT-AC3200 with Merlin 384.11

How do I enable hardware acceleration??
LAN/SWITCH CONTROL on mine don't know if it is different on the 3200

Many thanks Zastoff............. It was under LAN / LAN switch control, but needed to turn off Jumbo frames off to enable hardware acceleration!?!

Many thanks Zastoff............. It was under LAN / LAN switch control, but needed to turn off Jumbo frames off to enable hardware acceleration!?!

Don't use either, jumbo frames i think is not very useful since most servers don't support it
But test it out and see how it affects your speed

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!