What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Under "Adaptive QOS" | "QOS", QOS Configuration was reverted to defaults and did not keep my customization settings

Bug in Asus's code that's been there for a long time, they recently fixed it on their end.

And what is moving the devices around going to do. All the current testing I’m doing in in one room. I certainly wouldn’t place it out in the real world without first making it stable.
I am just mentioning this so you realize you dont have to have the AP to connect to one, be able continuously hop from one AP to another like it is shopping for groceries... Just not understanding your methods that is all. I can understand if it is a device not properly transitioning though.

You can use Adguard DoT alot of its dns endpoints bounce off of opendns.

Adguard uses a combination of google, cloudflare, and opendns as dns endpoints.

if you say there are a lot of Opendns in your area then, that should be most of your endpoints.

IPV4
port 853
dns.adguard.com
port 853
dns.adguard.com

IPV6
2a00:5a60::ad1:0ff
port 853
dns.adguard.com
2a00:5a60::ad2:0ff
port 853
dns.adguard.com

i tried using the both of the DNS as mentioned by you. Though these DNS use a combination of OpenDNS, Cloudflare and Google DNS but still the caching of all these three DNS are being done at Singapore and not in India. However, if i use dnscrypt and pick OpenDNS as the resolver then whole of the traffic is routed through the resolvers in India and not in Singapore.
Why does Dnscrypt directs all the traffic to the servers located in my country but DOT routes all the traffic via Singapore??o_O

Additional note: check that the USB port is configured 2.0 and not 3.0, it interferes like hell with your 2.4GHz channels.

I've never seen this recommendation before. I have all of my scripts set up on my usb, formatted to ext4, and set to 3.0 mode in the UI. Can I simply change it to 2.0 in the UI to avoid this interference? or will that start breaking things?

Last edited:
I've never seen this recommendation before. I have all of my scripts set up on my usb, formatted to ext4, and set to 3.0 mode in the UI. Can I simply change it to 2.0 in the UI to avoid this interference? or will that start breaking things?

You can change this back and forth at will.

I would recommend rebooting the router after doing so (after about 15 minutes of changing this setting). ;)

I had the same with my Nest protects. Simply reinstall the nest products with the new router firmware. (I found this as a solution on the Nest website itself. (changing your router may cause disconnects: solution: reinstall.) I hope it solves your problems too.

Thank you. Had to do this. It sucks because it’s a pain in the rear to do this lol. Thanks again.

Yes, you can but as L&LD already said, after changing the setting wait another 15 minutes and then reboot or power off your router, remove your USB device, reboot the router, let it stabilize for a while and plug your USB device in.

on a side note:
USB 3.0 has a 5Gbps signaling rate. The USB 3.0 specification requires USB 3.0 data to be scrambled and it requires spread-spectrum. The noise from USB 3.0 data spectrum can be high (in the 2.4-2.5GHz range). This noise can radiate from the USB 3.0 connector on a device (such as a PC or Router), the USB 3.0 connector on the peripheral device or the USB 3.0 [port]. If the antenna of a wireless device operating in this band is placed close to any of the USB 3.0 radiation channels, it can pick up the broadband noise. The broadband noise emitted from a USB 3.0 device can affect the SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) and limit the sensitivity of any wireless receiver whose antenna is physically located close to the USB 3.0 device. This may result in a drop in throughput on the wireless link.

Based on my RT-AC5300 experience here are my five cents to a solution:
Do a clean update (use the M&M configuration guidelines - they simply work and do the job) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573 and erase your NVRAM https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/
With every step from the above procedures give the router some time to boot and stabilize before moving to the next step.
Over time I have experienced that the RT-AC5300 is solid but only if you allow it to stabilize after booting. The 2.4GHz channel easily drops when subject to interference from your environment. (e.g. I have no interference from neighbors but when the airport in my proximity enhances their radar systems due to weather circumstances my 2.4GHz is the first to drop its connection speed (the 5GHz-2 does that too but at a higher threshold than 2.4GHz).
After a firmware update it is strongly advized to have your devices create a new connection to the wifi environment (my domotica stuff (e.g. Nest, Ring) appear to be very sensitive to having a setup connection with the actual wifi environment from the current firmware - not complying to this results in disconnections.
The more memory the RT-AC5300 has available the more stabile it is in my experience (so connecting a drive to one of the USB ports and doing a lot of file copying to that drive will consume to much of your memory - you do not want that.
Additional note: check that the USB port is configured 2.0 and not 3.0, it interferes like hell with your 2.4GHz channels.
Last but not least: what works for my might not completely work for your given the circumstances of the environment your router has to deal with. Start with standards and change one by one your settings and give them some time to experience if they work for you. Good luck!
Yes, you can but as L&LD already said, after changing the setting wait another 15 minutes and then reboot or power off your router, remove your USB device, reboot the router, let it stabilize for a while and plug your USB device in.

on a side note:
USB 3.0 has a 5Gbps signaling rate. The USB 3.0 specification requires USB 3.0 data to be scrambled and it requires spread-spectrum. The noise from USB 3.0 data spectrum can be high (in the 2.4-2.5GHz range). This noise can radiate from the USB 3.0 connector on a device (such as a PC or Router), the USB 3.0 connector on the peripheral device or the USB 3.0 [port]. If the antenna of a wireless device operating in this band is placed close to any of the USB 3.0 radiation channels, it can pick up the broadband noise. The broadband noise emitted from a USB 3.0 device can affect the SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) and limit the sensitivity of any wireless receiver whose antenna is physically located close to the USB 3.0 device. This may result in a drop in throughput on the wireless link.

Yes absolutely correct and especially so for the AC-5300 router as you correctly emphasize above. My experience with this router is that the difference in noise threshold for the 2.4ghz band varies by -20dBm when going from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 mode.

Upgrade AC3100 from V384.11_beta1b to V384.11_2 Final, via dirty flash, and everything appears to be working.

Any 4 into 1 powered hub 3.0 from Ebay will work - there are many chinese variants to choose from - most will work just fine. A powered hub is better than a non powered hub especially if your planning on using all 4 ports - there are 7 into 1 powered hubs available as well.
I went with a 4-in-1 usb hub from Anker, it's working as expected (they recommend not to excede 900mA of combined power usage).

Currently just using 2 of the 4 available usb 3.0 ports (but it's on the 2.0 port), and one of those is the Multifunction Printer which I turn on rarely. The other is the 1TB HDD I use for my file backups.
The miniSSD with entware/diversion is on the 3.0 USB port.
Now the hassle of unmounting, unplugging, plugging, unplugging and plugging is a thing of the past :D

Attachments

• 31qDmd-Ly1L.jpg
    31qDmd-Ly1L.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 454
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    32 KB · Views: 516
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    26 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Hi all,

These two lines puzzles me. They come from the system log (notice/debug) of a new rt-ac86u. Fresh out new of the box yesterday. I noticed this after installing Merlin's latest release (384.11_2), followed by the cumpulsury reset. These two instances are the only ones until now, 24h later. A google search reveal next to nothing. The majority of the few hits I did get came from China. Did anyone else come across this warning message?

The setup is vanilla, with the device in AP mode.

This is the current jffs status: 1.36/48.00 MB
Code:
May 5 05:05:16 kernel: jffs2: warning: (755) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -129
May 22 23:10:56 kernel: jffs2: warning: (778) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -531

This is the current jffs status: 1.36/48.00 MB

Ignore them, they are just notifications. The JFFS2 garbage collector will automatically take care of it.

Dirty upgrade last night from v384.8_2

No issues, will VPN in later from work to have a poke around.

Navigating through my new device I found an odd layout of settings, or rather titles of settings in the "Smart Connect Rule" section. The left column indicates 2.4 GHz and the right 5 GHz, but at the "Interface Select and Qualify Procedures" section they all of a sudden switch sides it appears.

Attachments

• Smart Connect Rule.png
    Smart Connect Rule.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 466
Finally took the plunge and updated to 384.11_2, from 384.10_2.

Everything went smoothly, and the new firmware has been running great for the last couple hours. I only have a few questions regarding the new DNS settings:
  1. I'm not running a server, so I assume that "Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS" should be set to "No", correct?
  2. I set both "Enable DNS Rebind protection" and "Enable DNSSEC support" to "Yes" (with "Validate unsigned DNSSEC replies also set to "Yes"). Do those settings negatively affect speeds in any way? I did some light browsing and everything seemed fine. Initiating Steam took a while, however, and the downloads also took longer to achieve their maximum speeds, but I'm not sure if that's related.
  3. I'm not using DoT because that's what was causing major issues with Steam before, since I'm not in America and the resolvers around here are problematic. What exactly am I missing out on?
Thanks again to @RMerlin for creating this amazing piece of software.

Finally took the plunge and updated to 384.11_2, from 384.10_2.

Everything went smoothly, and the new firmware has been running great for the last couple hours. I only have a few questions regarding the new DNS settings:
  1. I'm not running a server, so I assume that "Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS" should be set to "No", correct?
  2. I set both "Enable DNS Rebind protection" and "Enable DNSSEC support" to "Yes" (with "Validate unsigned DNSSEC replies also set to "Yes"). Do those settings negatively affect speeds in any way? I did some light browsing and everything seemed fine. Initiating Steam took a while, however, and the downloads also took longer to achieve their maximum speeds, but I'm not sure if that's related.
  3. I'm not using DoT because that's what was causing major issues with Steam before, since I'm not in America and the resolvers around here are problematic. What exactly am I missing out on?
Thanks again to @RMerlin for creating this amazing piece of software.

1. Correct.
2. No, these don't affect download speeds.
3. You're missing out on DNS encryption.

These have all been asked before ad nauseam.

Hello,

Just wondering, are this:
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.45717
- Fixed DDoS vulnerability.
- Fixed AiCloud vulnerability. Thanks for Matt Cundari's contribution.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability. Thanks for S1mba Lu's contribution.
- Fixed buffer overflow vulnerability. Thanks for Javier Aguinaga's contribution.

In the latest merlin firmware?

Hello,

Just wondering, are this:
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.45717
- Fixed DDoS vulnerability.
- Fixed AiCloud vulnerability. Thanks for Matt Cundari's contribution.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability. Thanks for S1mba Lu's contribution.
- Fixed buffer overflow vulnerability. Thanks for Javier Aguinaga's contribution.

In the latest merlin firmware?

Will be in 384.12. You can read its alpha thread for latest status.

Based on my RT-AC5300 experience here are my five cents to a solution:

Done. Blitzed the router and setup from scratch after reloading the firmware.
5G still ok at 75M but 2.4G still a little low but slightly better at around 40M, will keep an eye on it, its not really a big deal .. just a little annoying
Thanks for your advice

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!