What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RMerlin Noticed this in the log when working on other problem.
Code:
May  5 01:05:37 httpd: Generating SSL certificate...
httpd is creating SSL certificate when the clock hasn't sync yet luckily it's for 10 years it created an 8 year certificate instead.:)

It has always been like that, otherwise if you have a misconfigured NTP server, you would never be able to log in over https to fix it.

Hi, I've tried that. I've also done a site survey using the router's built-in tool. The odd thing is it shows the signal strength as very strong. Here's a screen cap from earlier:
Forget the signal strength and that it seems not overlapping (much), I know why I asked did you try ALL the channels one by one?
For me I have good speed with lower signal at a crowded channel but with all weak neighboring signals, and low speed with stronger signal at a seemingly more free one...

Reactions: ray
Forget the signal strength and that it seems not overlapping (much), I know why I asked did you try ALL the channels one by one?
For me I have good speed with lower signal at a crowded channel but with all weak neighboring signals, and low speed with stronger signal at a seemingly more free one...

Ok I see what you mean. I haven't tried every single channel but I've tried a few. I'll give every channel a shot but tbh I'm doubtful. It's not even a speed issue, I'm having problems even seeing the SSID — I manually entered the SSID into my Kindle and PS4's setup, otherwise their scans don't pick up the 2.4ghz. My Macbook Pro sees the 2.4ghz though and it's reporting full bars. How is that even possible?

Ok I see what you mean. I haven't tried every single channel but I've tried a few. I'll give every channel a shot but tbh I'm doubtful. It's not even a speed issue, I'm having problems even seeing the SSID — I manually entered the SSID into my Kindle and PS4's setup, otherwise their scans don't pick up the 2.4ghz. My Macbook Pro sees the 2.4ghz though and it's reporting full bars. How is that even possible?
Severe interference...
It is possible, have seen it.

Cordless phones does it too, microwave and other equipment that will not show on any survey, except professional signal and frequency measuring equipment...

Your graph shows only one direction, for Wifi you need transmitting and receiving singnals, and one way may be broken (transmitting) on yours.
Interference may cause slow connection (even very slow dowto zero) but all the time you will see strong SSID on clients (I dont say they will be able to connect).
Return or RMA is the only way!

Common 1-6-11 scheme is not that important anymore. Today's routers deal better with interference and use channels more efficiently. Auto channel selection on newer routers often jumps on channels 2-3-4 and 8-9-10 and actually pushes more data than on usually recommended 1-6-11. I personally never had any success with 1-6-11. In my area the best throughput channels on 2.4GHz band are 4 and 8. I only use 2.4GHz for my Guest Network and channel 8 is the only one providing about 30-50Mbps to clients. Channel 1 is dead, cant do any better than 2Mbps.
Thats not true, as a one channel step is worst case scenario for WiFi, much better to use next after if you need to.
And only because YOU get better results your adjacent WiFis may be much slower now.
You dont care ...

Last edited:
Thats not true

You are right in theory, of everyone was still using routers from 2005. I see 30+ 2.4GHz networks around me, all spread on channels 1-11, some even trying 40MHz wide, most of them on Auto select. If 1-6-11 scheme was mandatory or better in 2019, all routers would be Auto selecting 1-6-11 only. It can be easily enforced with software update, but it's not. Frequency band used to be represented in the past as multi-lane highway where cars can't drive on top of each other. In fact it's more like streams of colored air and modern routers recognize their color better. ASUS Auto select always jumps to channel 4 or 8 in my area, for example.

And that is why I use channel 13, no Auto select ever pics that one, and it's golden! ;)

As I said 3/4 and 8/9 will be some sort of ok for US 1-6-11, but not 2 if you have a strong 1 or 3 beside. Allways leave one channel spare between.
And routers dont really get it solved better today.
Thats why you cant choose ch. 137/138 or 139, only 136 or next 20MHz up ch. 140. And that althogh 5G technology is much newer than 2.4G.
2.4G is not well defined for WiFi usage as they are defined in 5MHz steps and WiFi bundles 4 channels @20MHz instead (the set one and 1 1/2 below and above).

And that is why I use channel 13, no Auto select ever pics that one, and it's golden! ;)
Good idea but many clients have problems with ch. 13 on the end of spectrum and often seen lower sensitivity. And wont help in US.

Last edited:
Do you use Windows 10, if so there is a free app in the Microsoft Store called WinFi Lite. It's a WiFi analyzer that scans your environment for any interference and issues with your own WiFi network and assigned devices. Hope this helps.

Do you use Windows 10, if so there is a free app in the Microsoft Store called WinFi Lite. It's a WiFi analyzer that scans your environment for any interference and issues with your own WiFi network and assigned devices. Hope this helps.
thanks for link, good first impression!

Allways leave one channel spare between.

And what channel is that when you have all the channels 1-11 already occupied? Again, 1-6-11 recommendation was good 10 years ago. Things have changed.

Reactions: MDM
Is it correct that "ddns-start" is being started every 30 seconds, even though public IP hasn't changed? I'm using custom DDNS provider and would expect "ddns-start" script to be called whenever public IP change is detected. Though I see "Request error!" in the UI, which may be the reason to call "ddns-start" again and again.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-20-at-22-31-45.png

Is it correct that "ddns-start" is being started every 30 seconds, even though public IP hasn't changed? I'm using custom DDNS provider and would expect "ddns-start" script to be called whenever public IP change is detected. Though I see "Request error!" in the UI, which may be the reason to call "ddns-start" again and again.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-20-at-22-31-45.png
Can the router resolve your hostname to your WAN IP correctly?

How do you check this? I have a DNS record gateway.domain.tld, so I assume "gateway" should be the value for that field, right? And yes, "gateway.domain.tld" is resolvable and pingable from the router console or any other computer within or outside of the router's network.
Though, "gateway" is the CNAME, does it make the difference?

Im facing a problem where my USB stick does not get mounted when the router is restarted.
Yesterday i upgraded from Johns latest build to this one to have a look at the new features.
After the update i performed a factory reset and thought to also wipe the USB drive i use for Diversion.
I used the drive formatter in the AMTM script to format to ext4.

Now every time i reboot the router it does not see the USB drive, i can make it visible by logging in with SSH and do "blkid".
After that i can see the USB drive with DF and it also shows up on the homepage of the WebUI.
I tried changing the USB option from USB3 to USB2 in system settings, this does not change the bahaviour.
Any idea why i need to do the blkid command after every reboot?

When i plugin the USB drive i see the following in the system logs.

Code:
Sep 22 23:52:22 kernel: usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Sep 22 23:52:22 kernel: scsi1 : usb-storage 1-2:1.0
Sep 22 23:52:23 kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access Kingston DataTraveler U3 6.16 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
Sep 22 23:52:23 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Sep 22 23:52:23 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

I have this issue which has only occurred since I've been using Asuswrt. It may be coincidence but I thought worth asking if there is anything I can tweak...

I have a NAS which gets backed up from time-to-time to another NAS. To maximise security the backup NAS spends the rest of the time asleep (so any ransomware, or just finger trouble, can't affect it - plus all the accounts for it are read-only except one used just by the backup software on the first NAS). The problem is when trying to backup, or even while backing up a long job, it disappears - causing the backup to fail. "Disappears" in that you can't get to it via its name, just its IP address, which still works fine. Ring any bells for anyone?

Questions include how does name resolution work when the router is the DNS, I'd assume SMB networking sorts it out itself, but? Could it be the router isn't used to seeing the second NAS and doesn't send the packets the correct way? I really have no idea...

Parties involved:
RT-AC87U
Asuswrt 13 - the last thing in the system log is about 36 hours old.
Qnap NASes using SMB networking
Note the second NAS connects via a media bridge (EA-AC68U) to maximise the connection speed while keeping it a long way from what it's backing up (currently the bridge connection is 975Mb/s on 5G plus 195Mb/s on 2.4G, so it sees it okay).
Windows 10 Pro x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!