What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Set VPN behavior in the OpenVPN client screen, Accept DNS Configuration setting.

Accept DNS Configuration Definitions
  • Disabled: DNS servers pushed by VPN provided DNS server are ignored. DNS specified on the WAN page are used.
  • Relaxed: DNS servers pushed by VPN provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, of which any can be used.
  • Strict: DNS servers pushed by the VPN provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, which are used in order. Existing DNS servers are only used if VPN provided ones don’t respond. To specify a custom DNS, enter the line in the custom config section: dhcp-option DNS dns.server.ip.address (e.g. dhcp-option DNS 1.1.1.1)
  • Exclusive: Only the pushed VPN provided DNS servers are used.
I hadn't monkeyed with it as the ovpn file populated everything but the user and password and didn't want to bork it. I'll give it a try

I hadn't monkeyed with it as the ovpn file populated everything but the user and password and didn't want to bork it. I'll give it a try
Depending on the Accept DNS Setting to Exclusive or Strict, a script is created in /etc/openvpn/fw/client1-dns.sh. The number corresponds to the openvpn client instance.

You can also check VPN DNS iptables rules using the commands:

Code:
iptables --line -t nat -nvL DNSVPN1

iptables --line -t nat -nvL PREROUTING | grep DNSVPN

Note that the diversion ad blocker will not work when using Policy Rules + Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive as dnsmasq is bypassed.

Again, once more: there was no change to the wireless code in 384.13 except for the RT-AX88U, since there was no new GPL merge in this release for any of the other models...
Version 3.0.0.4.384.81049 fixes the 5Ghz issue on the RT-AC68U. Still the same issue on AC3200 though, definitely a software bug if Asus has fixed on the RT-AC68U, which I'm running at one place so had to use that version from Asus for now, at my other place the AC3200 is flakey. So, will that fix be in next Merlin release?

Version 3.0.0.4.384.81049 fixes the 5Ghz issue on the RT-AC68U. Still the same issue on AC3200 though, definitely a software bug if Asus has fixed on the RT-AC68U, which I'm running at one place so had to use that version from Asus for now, at my other place the AC3200 is flakey. So, will that fix be in next Merlin release?
When the source is available and and when RMerlin has the time and inclination to work on it.

I see you mention this in a second thread, but I don't see too many people complaining from firmware related 5GHz issues on RT-AC68U.

Indeed, the RT-AC68U wifi is pretty stable with 45717. 81049 is actually more problematic. Its acsd seems to rescan the airwaves every 15 minutes (flooding syslog every single time), and in my case, it kept changing the 2.4 GHz channel nearly every single time it ran.

on
RT-AC87U
i have big pproblems in repetater mode, wifi connection with main isp router zyxel is falling and up , falling and up.. i was try reset , hard, reflash, also problems with qbittorrent, before update all work flawlessly ,,

on
RT-AC87U
i have big pproblems in repetater mode, wifi connection with main isp router zyxel is falling and up , falling and up.. i was try reset , hard, reflash, also problems with qbittorrent, before update all work flawlessly ,,

First there is no such mode... but I presume you meant the 'Media Bridge' one.
You have 3 modes: Wireless router mode (Default), Access Point(AP) mode, and Media Bridge.

Did you reboot (even reset) your zyxel before connection?

First there is no such mode... but I presume you meant the 'Media Bridge' one.
You have 3 modes: Wireless router mode (Default), Access Point(AP) mode, and Media Bridge.

Did you reboot (even reset) your zyxel before connection?
Yes, there is a repeater mode:
Modes.jpg

Firmware for an AC68 isn't compatible for an AC3200 , there is no 3.0.0.4.384.81049 for the AC3200 and there is no issue to be fixed with the WiFi on the AC3200, not on any band, they work flawlessly.

Yes, there is a repeater mode
No, there is not.
He has RT-AC87U same as me, and you are showing RT-AC66U.
Did you also miss Grisu-s post above yours?

Firmware for an AC68 isn't compatible for an AC3200 , there is no 3.0.0.4.384.81049 for the AC3200 and there is no issue to be fixed with the WiFi on the AC3200, not on any band, they work flawlessly.

Yes I'm aware. Sorry, but there is an issue with the firmware, hence why would I downgrade to a previous version and now works, if you were to look at other people's post you'll find a number of affected users. Unless we're all being stupid and making it up. I wouldn't of downgraded for nothing.

Yes I'm aware. Sorry, but there is an issue with the firmware, hence why would I downgrade to a previous version and now works, if you were to look at other people's post you'll find a number of affected users. Unless we're all being stupid and making it up. I wouldn't of downgraded for nothing.

Which model ? AC3200? I have seen no posts where people have any problem with the WiFi. I see no issue, and people I know that have At least 20 AC3200's across their home/home office and 2 industrial units have zero trouble and those routers are pushed hard all day.

As Merlin told you, nothing WiFi related has been changed .

Which model ? AC3200? I have seen no posts where people have any problem with the WiFi. I see no issue, and people I know that have At least 20 AC3200's across their home/home office and 2 industrial units have zero trouble and those routers are pushed hard all day.

As Merlin told you, nothing WiFi related has been changed .

Yes, AC3200. With the latest firmware the WiFi drops now and again, even with a complete reset. This isn't a hardware issue as it was working prior and working on previous firmware. Has to be Firmware related because Asus fixed the AC68U if you read the latest patch notes from their official site.

I have both the AC3200 AND RT-AC68U, the AC68U I have running at the moment was suffering the same issue since ditching the Merlin firmware on that and running Asus latest official it's working flawlessly. So, please correct me now.

Reactions: thc
Your reasoning is rather flawed. The WiFi on the models you quote are entirely different. There is no relationship between the 2 devices.

There is zero change to the WiFi on the AC3200 on the latest firmware.
I see 23 of the AC3200's all running the latest Merlin and none of them have a problem.

Suddenly I have an issue with VPN not connecting. I tried different servers (NordVPN ) and even resetting the clients to default and nothing helps

On VPN Client menu it says : "Error - check configuration!"

from the log:
Code:
Sep 19 15:40:00 ovpn-client1[15129]: TUN/TAP TX queue length set to 1000
Sep 19 15:40:00 ovpn-client1[15129]: /bin/ip link set dev tun11 up mtu 1500
Sep 19 15:40:00 ovpn-client1[15129]: Linux ip link set failed: could not execute external program
Sep 19 15:40:00 ovpn-client1[15129]: Exiting due to fatal error

Suddenly I have an issue with VPN not connecting. I tried different servers (NordVPN ) and even resetting the clients to default and nothing helps

On VPN Client menu it says : "Error - check configuration!"

from the log:
Code:
Sep 19 15:40:00 ovpn-client1[15129]: TUN/TAP TX queue length set to 1000
Sep 19 15:40:00 ovpn-client1[15129]: /bin/ip link set dev tun11 up mtu 1500
Sep 19 15:40:00 ovpn-client1[15129]: Linux ip link set failed: could not execute external program
Sep 19 15:40:00 ovpn-client1[15129]: Exiting due to fatal error
I did a search on the third error message and came across this old thread problems-with-openvpn-client-openvpn-linux-ifconfig-failed-could-not-execute-external-program.

You can also try to download a new ovpn file from Nord. If you also have a VPN server on the router, make sure it is using a different port number than the VPN client.

Do you have a config backup? Try restoring from the backup if you have it.

Yes, AC3200. With the latest firmware the WiFi drops now and again, even with a complete reset. This isn't a hardware issue as it was working prior and working on previous firmware. Has to be Firmware related because Asus fixed the AC68U if you read the latest patch notes from their official site.

I have both the AC3200 AND RT-AC68U, the AC68U I have running at the moment was suffering the same issue since ditching the Merlin firmware on that and running Asus latest official it's working flawlessly. So, please correct me now.

If it was the firmware, everyone running it would have the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!