What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that my question kinda derailed the thread; I simply wanted to know if the Asus RT-AX88U Nordic Router (on 36% sale) was a good buy, or if there were better ones (for Merlin firmware) :)

If the router is within your budget it’s a great piece of hardware and currently the top spec’d device supported by Merlin.

I simply wanted to know if the Asus RT-AX88U Nordic Router (on 36% sale) was a good buy, or if there were better ones (for Merlin firmware) :)
36% sale tells exactly nothing, what did you pay?
Less than 250€ or USD seems to be ok, but I would wait 2 more years when AX is finalized and more AX routers are released for 150-200€.
If you need AX right now its your only option with Merlin support and so nothing you could do wrong.

36% sale tells exactly nothing, what did you pay?
Less than 250€ or USD seems to be ok, but I would wait 2 more years when AX is finalized and more AX routers are released for 150-200€.
If you need AX right now its your only option with Merlin support and so nothing you could do wrong.

AX has been finalized already.

Well that sucked! Suddenly last night, they reduced the sale from 36% to 24%, and no I had not made the buy.
At 36% sale, it was on sale for less then 200 $, now its at 250$.

The sale as of NOW:
Asus RT-AX88U Nordic - 250$ (24% sale) <- what I wanted to buy at 36% sale
Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 - 350$ (29% sale)
Asus RT-AC86U - 150$ (40% sale)
Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 - 250$ (44% sale)
Asus RT-AC88U - 200$ (23% sale)
Asus RT-AX92U - 160$ (36% sale)

The Asus RT-AX88U Nordic is the 'best'/most future prof router for Merlin out of these?

Well that sucked! Suddenly last night, they reduced the sale from 36% to 24%, and no I had not made the buy.
At 36% sale, it was on sale for less then 200 $, now its at 250$.

The sale as of NOW:
Asus RT-AX88U Nordic - 250$ (24% sale) <- what I wanted to buy at 36% sale
Asus RT-AC86U - 150$ (40% sale)

The Asus RT-AX88U Nordic is the 'best'/most future prof router for Merlin out of these?
These are NOT supported by Merlin:

And 88U is quite old and not "future proof".

And someone here is telling lies or cant calculate!
If 24% sale makes 250$ and 36% sale gives it for less than 200$ this means 12% are worth about 50$.
So regular 100% are more than 420$.

Here some examples, which one is true???
100% regular .. 420 ... 329 ... 309
24% sale ....... 319 ... 250 ... 235
36% sale ....... 269 ... 211 ... 198
difference ....... 50 .... 39 ..... 37

I simply wanted to know if the Asus RT-AX88U Nordic Router (on 36% sale) was a good buy, or if there were better ones (for Merlin firmware) :)
And at the beginning you wrote you already DID BUY it for 36% sale, now you did NOT?!?

HERE it is still offered for -36%:
https://www.komplett.dk/product/110...unner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricerunner

But that are about 250€ and not less 200!!!

Last edited:
Ok, thanks to both of you! Then the Asus RT-AX88U Nordic is still the top pick, just a bit angry on the change of the sale....

I was under the impression the Chipset was certified.

https://www.wi-fi.org/news-events/newsroom/wi-fi-certified-6-delivers-new-wi-fi-era

Those listed in the link are already on shipping products.

Broadcom® BCM43684 is the chipset in the AX88U

So when you say routers with that standard are you referring to another chipset that is going to be added on routers coming out later?
No, I do mean the Router itself (as a whole product, with fw and all), not the only the Chipset (that I haven't mentioned at all...).
And for the standard, you have already the answer from @Grisu

only because they are certified to support minimal AX requirements doesnt mean they support all what they could and we do want to.
Do they support AX standards on all bands 2.4 and 5GHz?
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-or-rogax1100.60226/#post-527147
timeline Nov. 2020: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-or-rogax1100.60226/#post-527381
Merlin: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-or-rogax1100.60226/#post-527396

None of this testing was done on the official firmware released this week.

That was on done on a beta firmware and it has to be tested again on the new firmware.

And are you able to define what is the supported minimal vs maximum for AX requirements?

I think I will wait to see something official vs opinion once more testing is done on the official firmware.

Last edited:
@JarleH

Make up your mind for a price you are prepared to pay. If and when it reaches that price you make your move and not sooner. Then you walk away with your purchase and don't look back, irrespectively if the price continue to bounce up and down.

EDIT.

Don't forget to check the statistics. It's far from certain that Black Friday offer the best bargains.

www.skinflint.co.uk

Attachments

• Asus RT-AX88U.png
    Asus RT-AX88U.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Anyone one else having issues with client vpn? Have it setup with specific MAC’s on the network. Get disconnections often.

@JarleH

Make up your mind for a price you are prepared to pay. If and when it reaches that price you make your move and not sooner. Then you walk away with your purchase and don't look back, irrespectively if the price continue to bounce up and down.

EDIT.

Don't forget to check the statistics. It's far from certain that Black Friday offer the best bargains.

www.skinflint.co.uk

I do not NEED a new router, my old Asus RT-AC56U works, just not the best wifi (which may gotten better with Johns firmware or even newer Asus firmware).

But when I saw the Asus RT-AX88U Nordic on 36% sale, I wanted to get it. At 24% sale its still ok, but its just that I got pissed at the company for changing the sale% in the middle of the sale.

Will see if the sale changes back tomorrow, or other companies gives a better sale. In Norway I can only see that Komplett.no has this on sale, but for example in Denmark a lot of shops have it on sale for about 25%, and Komplett.dk got it on sale for 36%.

So I do not NEED it, but I strongly consider getting it on sale...

i just reset Enable DNS Rebind protection to (No) while using dns over tls :oops:

i got sick of seeing "DNS-rebind attack detected" errors every 5 minutes.

my lan does not even host any iot devices i'd care about being "attacked" o_O

and my guest wifi (for potentially naughty clients) has intranet disabled anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!