What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This afternoon made the transistion from AC87 to AC86, make screenshots etc. collect important text files
Asus stock FW was 382 and flashed to 384.6, hit factory default, and did only manualy settings.
And fill in everything side-by-side with two PC's

Next to, 4hours of work (incl.VPN) I start to change settings DHCP/Static and IP MAC binding in that last process, some devices are also blocked to internet, etc.
The router restart after every MAC/IP binding and one moment I could not reach the router via 192.168.1.1 10 minutes no respond no internet, nothing.
Switched off the router and after 1minute switched on and there it was router works again.
Spend another 2hours.

I used split-tunnel VPN because my NVIDIA player my NOT into the Openvpn tunnel, it will simply not play any movies.
Externerly forbidden.

I'll keep AC87 in reserve.

The router restart after every MAC/IP binding and one moment I could not reach the router via 192.168.1.1 10 minutes no respond no internet, nothing.
Switched off the router and after 1minute switched on and there it was router works again.
Spend another 2hours.
Thats a (at least for me) known issue, that after a reboot it wont restart but stay in a "turn off" mode, only power down will help.
Often had it in the past, but for me it seems to be solved with latest firmware 21140 (or only not happened again).

Thank you @Grisu for your posting, I was afraid that I was the only one to invoke a power cycle.
For a brief moment I thought that my router AC-86 has died

AC-86 VPN speed is now above 160MBit against ~50MBit with AC87, it's a big improvement.
I had my AC-86 in March but I could not free up time for this until this afternoon.

Thank you @Merlin for this nice piece of FW, and support to AC-86

Might have found a small bug with "Stealth Mode"
In "Stealth Mode" I still have the Internet activity LED blinking, Don't believe it used to do that when in stealth mode.
Have tried to cut power and disable/enable the feature to no avail. Have not tried a Factory Initialize yet.

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to thank RMerlin a lot for his wonderful firmware. Upgrading my RT-AC68U from 384.5 to 384.6 is a breeze, except for having to disable DNSSEC support, and running smoothly for around 5 days.

Secondly, as I am using Private Internet Access (PIA) and their dedicated DNS servers, I cannot enable DNSSEC support as it would cause a disconnection to my Internet, I wonder if anyone has answers for my questions:
- Does PIA support DNSSEC? If not, can their server-client authentication and handshake protocols replace DNSSEC protection?
- Can I merely turn on DNS rebind protection or do I have to turn both DNSSEC support and DNS rebind protection together for them to make effect?

Thank you everyone :)

Hmmm my experience with this version is not that great, this morning after nearly two days the router can't be reached anymore and i had to manually powercycle the router.
All connections from the router (wired and wifi) were down.
Then i got the cfe miniserver screen telling me to reboot or restore default ram. chose the last option and now the router works again.
i haven't had this in the last 5 years i am using the router :(
When i am not at home i can't powercycle the router, it just needs to be up all time
I have no servers or what running just the default port forwarding etc.
What i mention is that the RAM usage becomes higher and higher so the RAM memory that was full did cause these troubles.. That is not normal i guess.
I did not see this excessive RAM usage when on the .70 build.

What RAM usage is normal in this FW version? Mine now sits on 55% to 58 %
Update: 61% now
Update: 66% now
67%
68%

Just looking at the adminscreen where i see that also now RAM usage is going up slowly, i assume that when this process is ongoing the router will be unresponsive again when RAM is full...

Anyone with the same experience?

Thinking of resetting the router and going back to .70, that version worked great...

--> searched... how can i revert back safely to the latest merlin .70 build ?

Last edited:
Hi.
I just uploaded to this firmware on my AC3200 from an earlier one, but now I cant seem to get full download speed.
It caps out about 350mbit/s down. Its the same on all cable connected computers. I still get full 500 upload.
I get full speed when I plug the computer into the modem. I have not enabled any traffic management like QoS or that stuff.

I just uploaded to this firmware on my AC3200 from an earlier one, but now I cant seem to get full download speed.
It caps out about 350mbit/s down. Its the same on all cable connected computers. I still get full 500 upload.
I get full speed when I plug the computer into the modem. I have not enabled any traffic management like QoS or that stuff.
Is NAT acceleration turned on?

Can I merely turn on DNS rebind protection or do I have to turn both DNSSEC support and DNS rebind protection together for them to make effect?

They're completely separate features.

Did you reset the router and manually enter your settings, after you upgraded to 384.6?
Yes i did, fac default, flash, fac default, manual settings applied, rebooted

Yes i did, fac default, flash, fac default, manual settings applied, rebooted
Odd. I have minimal settings like you and it ran great on 384.6. I’m on the 384.7 alpha now for a few days and running fine as well.

Have you had another incident, since you powered down?

in the meantime my RAM memory is getting fuller and fuller, 68% now.
it looks like it's going up faster than during this day

i did search but what method can be used to revert back to the old codebase build .70? (only if the ram problem does not fix itself)

Odd. I have minimal settings like you and it ran great on 384.6. I’m on the 384.7 alpha now for a few days and running fine as well.

Have you had another incident, since you powered down?
Beside the message that my NAS lost the connection early this morning nothing (yet).
I power cycled the router and all was working. I took a close look during the day on the RAM usage as this caused the outage for sure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!