What's new

Repeater Bridge Discussion - Who Makes Them?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iSniffDataCuzItSmellsGood

Occasional Visitor
I've been conjuring up an idea for a while but I always had problems finding the technical name for the device that I wanted. Until today! I was checking out DD-WRT and I found this image, which is everything that I want:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/images/9/9b/Repeater_Bridge.jpg

Is this a special feature only in DD-WRT? Do all/most repeaters come with this functionality? Or do none have the ability to do that?

I'm trying to boost my N router signal, but at the same time, I have a BriteView Cinema tube whose Wireless N adapter sucks. I've dreamt of the day where I could have a device (this repeater bridge) that I could wire the cinematube to it (via ethernet cable) and at the same time increase the overall coverage of my Wireless N network. I giggled in amazement when I saw that DD-WRT image. :eek:

Do you know of any devices that can become a repeater bridge (with wireless N) out of the box? I saw this wireless N repeater on newegg, but I'm not sure if it can bridge wired devices to it (while keeping everything on the same network/subnet).

Any advice? The sooner you help me, the faster I can enjoy this fantastic setup. :D

Last edited:
I've been conjuring up an idea for a while but I always had problems finding the technical name for the device that I wanted. Until today! I was checking out DD-WRT and I found this image, which is everything that I want:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/images/9/9b/Repeater_Bridge.jpg

Is this a special feature only in DD-WRT? Do all/most repeaters come with this functionality? Or do none have the ability to do that?

I'm trying to boost my N router signal, but at the same time, I have a BriteView Cinema tube whose Wireless N adapter sucks. I've dreamt of the day where I could have a device (this repeater bridge) that I could wire the cinematube to it (via ethernet cable) and at the same time increase the overall coverage of my Wireless N network. I giggled in amazement when I saw that DD-WRT image. :eek:

Do you know of any devices that can become a repeater bridge (with wireless N) out of the box? I saw this wireless N repeater on newegg, but I'm not sure if it can bridge wired devices to it (while keeping everything on the same network).

Any advice? The sooner you help me, the faster I can enjoy this fantastic setup. :D

You can buy those cheap for under $100 bucks off Amazon. To bridge to network or extend the network. The Repeater method isn't a good though. Wireless Bridge what you shown there would be more ideal. Go and check Radio Labs site. But EnGenius send me over this stuff. Read the PDF you might see what you want to do.

http://www.engeniustech.com/resources/Designing and Planning EnGenius Wifi Networks.pdf

You can buy those cheap for under $100 bucks off Amazon. To bridge to network or extend the network.
A wireless N repeater bridge? Is that what you are talking about? What model(s).

The Repeater method isn't a good though. Wireless Bridge what you shown there would be more ideal. Go and check Radio Labs site. But EnGenius send me over this stuff. Read the PDF you might see what you want to do.
I'm a little confused about your post. The repeater method isn't good? Then you said the wireless bridge would be more ideal? For my setup I would like a wireless repeater bridge. As far as companies marketing their products, they usually say its a bridge or a repeater. They usually don't specify if it can do both at the same time. I was wondering if most wireless N repeaters can also bridge devices locally to it too.

EDIT: I just read some of the reviews on Newegg and someone says the following about that Encore Wireless N repeater:
Pros: Works normally in router mode and works normally in repeater mode. Great price at NewEgg! As a repeater, it operates just like a bridge. Not only does it repeat the signal, but you can still plug your wired devices into it and enjoy a cheap, reliable bridge! I bought to of them, and now I'm going to get a third!

Holy moley, I did a quick google search AND I found a free shipping code for that item "EMCYRNX42". I just bought it! $27 shipped! That's an insane deal, especially judging by its features. I have an encore PCI N card on one of my machines and it works great. Perhaps I'll do a review of this repeater.

EDIT 2: This repeater uses the same chipset as the Engenius ESR-9850! It doesn't have the gig switch, but I don't need it. Wow, this is awesome, I feel like all sorts of win right now. I'm debating if I should sell my Belkin N router and just get two of these repeaters (which one can act as a router/AP).

Last edited:
This class of products is confusing because the terminology used to describe them isn't consistent.

There are basically two types: WDS based and client based. WDS types connect only to other APs that support WDS and can support both wired and wireless clients. Wireless clients connected to a WDS bridge will suffer > 50 % throughput hit because a single radio must receive, then retransmit each packet.

Client based will connect to any access point and act like PCI, USB, etc. wireless clients, except they have an Ethernet interface. They generally don't repeat, i.e. support wireless clients.

Generally, bridges will connect two network segments, so will support multiple clients. All you need to do is plug them into a switch if you need to connect more than one Ethernet device.

Client type bridges include the Linksys WET610N and WGA600N.

It looks like Engenius has products that combine both WDS and client modes. The ECB3500 (11g) and ECB9500 (11n).

This class of products is confusing because the terminology used to describe them isn't consistent.

There are basically two types: WDS based and client based. WDS types connect only to other APs that support WDS and can support both wired and wireless clients. Wireless clients connected to a WDS bridge will suffer > 50 % throughput hit because a single radio must receive, then retransmit each packet.

Client based will connect to any access point and act like PCI, USB, etc. wireless clients, except they have an Ethernet interface. They generally don't repeat, i.e. support wireless clients.

Generally, bridges will connect two network segments, so will support multiple clients. All you need to do is plug them into a switch if you need to connect more than one Ethernet device.

Client type bridges include the Linksys WET610N and WGA600N.

It looks like Engenius has products that combine both WDS and client modes. The ECB3500 (11g) and ECB9500 (11n).
Awesome. That helped me a lot. I now know what I'll do. According to the WDS link you posted they say this:
However, in the case of communications between a computer that is plugged into router A and a computer that is plugged into router B, the throughput is not halved since there is no need to retransmit the information.
I ended up buying two of those Encore routers/repeaters. One will replace my current Belkin N router, as it is superior hardware wise. That will be router A. The other one I bought will be a wireless bridge... router B. I have a device that I will hook to it via ethernet cable, so I won't lose half of the performance. The only problem is that I have a computer that is far away from router A that would have been great for receiving a signal from the repeater in router B. But performance is critical in this machine. I'll just have that computer grab the signal from router A. Plus what I noticed is that the Encore router has a removable antennas! I bought 8dbi antennas a few weeks ago, I can hook them to router A and extend the signal that way. This works out perfectly.

Thanks everyone.

Awesome. That helped me a lot. I now know what I'll do. According to the WDS link you posted they say this:
I ended up buying two of those Encore routers/repeaters. One will replace my current Belkin N router, as it is superior hardware wise. That will be router A. The other one I bought will be a wireless bridge... router B. I have a device that I will hook to it via ethernet cable, so I won't lose half of the performance. The only problem is that I have a computer that is far away from router A that would have been great for receiving a signal from the repeater in router B. But performance is critical in this machine. I'll just have that computer grab the signal from router A. Plus what I noticed is that the Encore router has a removable antennas! I bought 8dbi antennas a few weeks ago, I can hook them to router A and extend the signal that way. This works out perfectly.

Thanks everyone.

Why did you buy Encore? I know the price is so cheap. That company hardware I had two out four of it's NIC gigs fail on me not even 3 months old. I had to grab TP-LINK brand never had issues. They all use the same Gig chipset which is Realtek strange why both NIC had failed so quickly.

Hey didn't want to confused you prior I sent you over the PDF gives you idea what Bridge, WDS, Repeater, Client Mode, AP etc.. How to apply them how to use them in home or business usage.

Good luck with the Encore I guess you can't go wrong with $27 bucks.

Those who like to know what's inside this router
http://www.encore-usa.com/cl/sites/default/files/product_file_datasheet/ENHWI-2AN3_specs.pdf

Seems to have the same Ralink MCU chipset found in the ESR-9850 except it doesn't have gig ports but instead it has 10/100 model.

Last edited:
Why did you buy Encore? I know the price is so cheap.
Besides the gig switch ports, this is basically the Engenius ESR-9850. For the price of one ESR-9850, I got two of these! :D

That company hardware I had two out four of it's NIC gigs fail on me not even 3 months old. I had to grab TP-LINK brand never had issues. They all use the same Gig chipset which is Realtek strange why both NIC had failed so quickly.
That's a shame. I have a wireless N nic from them and it works lovely! They are one of the lesser known network companies on the rise. What grabbed my attention to their nic is that they had Windows 7 x64 driver support while Windows 7 was still in RC. Amazing, some bigger known companies couldn't even get it done. Now that's a company I like!

Hey didn't want to confused you prior I sent you over the PDF gives you idea what Bridge, WDS, Repeater, Client Mode, AP etc.. How to apply them how to use them in home or business usage.
That was a good PDF, most of it I knew but it is a great reference material to refresh on.

Good luck with the Encore I guess you can't go wrong with $27 bucks.
Absolutely! And with ratings like it has gotten, I'm hoping it lives up to the hype.

Seems to have the same Ralink MCU chipset found in the ESR-9850 except it doesn't have gig ports but instead it has 10/100 model.
Yep, it is pretty much an ESR-9850 plus and minus a few features. The gig port would be pretty much useless in my example because I'm not wired from one computer to another, that is the real advantage of the gig switch.

Perhaps I'll do a little review on these beasts. :D I LOVE newegg, they are arriving tomorrow! :eek:

Last edited:
Swell, good you seem happy with your purchase. I can't say for sure even though it has the same MCU, RAM and Flash memory doesn't mean it has the same fast performance of the Senao EnGenius Smart NAT Network Hardware Engine that's a PCB feature. There are a couple of these routers out their with the same chipset as ESR-9850, Belkin N+ V2 Hardware, Buffalo WZR-300N an etc.

I don't want to speak to soon... but man, this is the best router decision I've ever made. This thing is B.A.N.A.N.A.S. I've done some brief testing (using inSSIDer) comparing this router to my Belkin N router and this has a much better signal rating and higher bandwidth rate. Not to mention this has WAAAAY more features than my old Belkin. I could hardly modify anything inside that router.

I couldn't believe how small the router is, it made me laugh. I guess don't judge a book by its cover.

I'll do some more testing later on, much more indepth.

I don't want to speak to soon... but man, this is the best router decision I've ever made. This thing is B.A.N.A.N.A.S. I've done some brief testing (using inSSIDer) comparing this router to my Belkin N router and this has a much better signal rating and higher bandwidth rate. Not to mention this has WAAAAY more features than my old Belkin. I could hardly modify anything inside that router.

I couldn't believe how small the router is, it made me laugh. I guess don't judge a book by its cover.

I'll do some more testing later on, much more indepth.

I take it you have it now? Can you post some images of what you have in your hands. If can? It's okay if you can't?

I might be able to do that. I'm currently trying to figure out if I can disable the repeating function on one of these routers, just to make it a wireless bridge. Or perhaps, is there a way to ignore a repeated signal and just have the client computers JUST focus on the AP's signal?

I might be able to do that. I'm currently trying to figure out if I can disable the repeating function on one of these routers, just to make it a wireless bridge. Or perhaps, is there a way to ignore a repeated signal and just have the client computers JUST focus on the AP's signal?

Anything is possible. If it can be done in the ESR-9850 it should be able to do the same? But only if you have features that can be disabled like ESR-9850 to force it out of Repeater but into wired AP - }}}? I don't know what your Web Admin Gui looks likes it to better assist you.

quick note to say I've played around with dd-wrt and some other routers that have repeater function with varying success.

The product that I really love when trying to extend wireless range when adding an AP through cat 5 isn't possible is the asus wl-330ge. It's <$50 and I've found it to work really well. It can also easily be configured as an AP, or a client. It's tiny but has really served me well when I needed to cover a spotty area. However, like any other wireless repeater, your wireless speed will be cut in half when you're on the repeater side.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320025&Tpk=asus repeater

Sean