What's new

Repeater/extender for AX86U - seeking recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OOMDAA

New Around Here
Hello everyone - new to the site.

I've recently bought an AX86U and I'm pretty pleased with everything about it, so far. Long may that continue! My previous router, and Orbi mesh system just rolled over an died after 30 months which wasn't impressive. Long conversations with tech support can be summed up with "too bad, we'd like to sell you a new one".

I would like a bit of a range boost as the unit has to be located at one extreme end of the house, and there are too many walls between the router and my workshop. Can anyone suggest specific models or repeater/extender/anything-you-can-suggest that would work well with the AX86U please?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums @OOMDAA.

The best match for the RT-AX86U is another RT-AX86U or a GT-AX6000. There are a lot of other routers that will work (forget about extenders/repeaters/etc.), but not without degrading the network that a single RT-AX86U offers.

If you do get a GT-AX6000, I would make that the main router.

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

Almost all L&LD Links

Thank you, seems like an ideal suggestion but somewhat out of my budget.

Given that my max download speed tops out at 550, and is usually just below 500, would something like the RP-AX56 AX1800 be good enough, keeping the AX86U as the main router?

I am using a TPLink RE220 extender to reach my garage with RX86U. I had it from my previous router. It serves my needs to cover mostly some WYZE cameras. You do lose speed with an extender. If one of your old routers work, consider using it as an AP. Most any extender would work.

I wouldn't suggest any extender to (almost) anyone.

The RT-AX68U would be my first pick (particularly when on sale).

The RT-AX68U would be my first pick also. But it depends on budget and the needed use. If you were needing the max throughput in the remote area then the extender is not the best choice. In my case, the extender is only supporting a few cameras so it works for me. It is fast enough that I use it once in a while with my iPad to watch a fix-it video without any issues. It also depends on what your ISP speed is to start with, where you place the extender or AP as to what speed you get.

Thank you, seems like an ideal suggestion but somewhat out of my budget.

Given that my max download speed tops out at 550, and is usually just below 500, would something like the RP-AX56 AX1800 be good enough, keeping the AX86U as the main router?
i had that setup over ethernet backhaul then changed to another 86X
it worked quite well, not as powerful, but still a decent router.

I've an RP-AX56 connected to a GT-AX6000 serving a couple of smart heating controllers and a WiFi camera. During the week nothing else ever connects to it and it sits there just using a 20MHz channel, but come the weekend when there's more background (local and neighbours) I may find another device or two connected to it. As @Tech9 says, it's good for a real-world 300-400Mbps, which is more than I need in that area of the house. It actually seems to be pretty smart, setup (which was a pain, had to be set up wired) and then just left to do its own thing. Definitely, the best, zero issue causing extender I've ever used - so long as you can manage with that throughput!

Hello,
I'm in the same reflection about having a mesh network with my actual RT-AX86U.

So clear the best solution is AX86u or gtax6000.
Is there any advantage taking gtax6000 (as main router) or the benefits are the same with ax86u ?
Also, as I want mesh by wired connection,can you confirm it's possible with those routers ?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards,

Chrisbati

PS: I use this topic because it's the exact same purpose as mine. If I have to open my own topic, please let me know.

AX6000 as the main router allows a 2.5Gbit connection to your ISP and another as the backhaul to the AX86U?

Everyones network and needs are different. When I switched from TP Link to Asus last year, I considered a MESH system. With the TP Link router, I needed an extender to cover the entire house. I never had a MESH system but from what I have read and understand it shines if you have many nodes that can cross talk to each other and is easy to set up. Best option is if you can use just a single router. The AX86U works fine for me with Xfinity 300 service. It covered the area the TP Link router missed. In my garage I had one camera that had issues because its location near metal cabinets and it would drop from time to time. I placed the TP Link extender in the garage and it solved my problem. Would have gotten better speed if I placed the extender closer to the router but I just needed a stable connection to the cameras. If I needed a lot more speed, a router in AP mode would work better. Of course, a wired AP or extender would be much better and the preferred way to go, just not an option for me.

I opted for an AX86U as my primary and an AX86S as my AIMesh Node. My understanding is the nodes don't do as much processing so don't really need the extra CPU and Memory of the 86U, but use the same Firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!