What's new

Replace RT-AC87U w/ pair of AC86U in AiMesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FunkyBoss

Occasional Visitor
So I'm thinking of picking up a pair of RT-AC86U routers to replace a flakey RT-AC87U I have now if it will fix my dead spots. My current router is located at one end of the 1st floor of the house, and my son is constantly complaining of bad wifi on the OTHER end of the house, 2nd floor. I was thinking of replacing the current router with a new 86U, and then either...
  1. Putting the other RT-AC86U upstairs on the 2nd floor, somewhere possibly centrally located, which would need to be connected wirelessly using AIMesh.
  2. Or, in a room on the 1st floor on the other end of the house from the first router, but directly below my son's room, as there is an ethernet outlet that is hard wired on the same network as the main router.
My main question is, is there a way using AIMesh to connect the two routers by hardwire (option 2) that might give better performance then connecting them wirelessly (option 2)? I was initially thinking to just buy a newer router, and use my existing RT-AC87U along with it as an extender, but ASUS's support for this model seems rather lacking, as it doesn't even support AIMesh. And I have a Microcenter near me that has the deal when you buy 2 RT-AC86Us.

So I'm thinking of picking up a pair of RT-AC86U routers to replace a flakey RT-AC87U I have now if it will fix my dead spots. My current router is located at one end of the 1st floor of the house, and my son is constantly complaining of bad wifi on the OTHER end of the house, 2nd floor. I was thinking of replacing the current router with a new 86U, and then either...
  1. Putting the other RT-AC86U upstairs on the 2nd floor, somewhere possibly centrally located, which would need to be connected wirelessly using AIMesh.
  2. Or, in a room on the 1st floor on the other end of the house from the first router, but directly below my son's room, as there is an ethernet outlet that is hard wired on the same network as the main router.
My main question is, is there a way using AIMesh to connect the two routers by hardwire (option 2) that might give better performance then connecting them wirelessly (option 2)? I was initially thinking to just buy a newer router, and use my existing RT-AC87U along with it as an extender, but ASUS's support for this model seems rather lacking, as it doesn't even support AIMesh. And I have a Microcenter near me that has the deal when you buy 2 RT-AC86Us.

I would grab the Micro Center 2xRT-AC86U bundle while you can.

Yes, you can use a wired Ethernet backhaul from router/root node LAN to remote node WAN for a full duplex Gigabit connection. Or leave it wireless.

OE

I would grab the Micro Center 2xRT-AC86U bundle while you can.

Yes, you can use a wired Ethernet backhaul from router/root node LAN to remote node WAN for a full duplex Gigabit connection. Or leave it wireless.

OE
Perfect, thanks. I'll head over there this week to grab a pair!

Almost makes us wish we were in Chicago (or near another Micro Centers). Oh well, Amazon delivers.

Almost makes us wish we were in Chicago (or near another Micro Centers). Oh well, Amazon delivers.

Yeah, I'm not aware of any other retailer pushing 86U bundles like Micro Center.

OE

Given the years spent in wholesale, retail and in between, folks would be amazed what the actual wholesale on a $200 router really is. Value is marked up by marketing and sales driven. The 86u is and will for some time be a hot commodity. $300 out the door for two is amazing, even if you really want to drive in August traffic in Chi-town. Amazon could cut retail that much if they really wanted (they don't/won't) yet come out ahead. In the old days, they used to call two for one, 'loss leaders' to get people into the store to buy anything else. If someone buys a new 86U from Amz, takes delivery, cuts the shrink wrap just to stare into the box without touching then returns it, it then legally has to be resold as 'used, original package damaged' without ever having been plugged in. That wouldn't stop others from fudging. Their record low for a new one was $188 earlier this year but they had a used/damaged original box recently for $160 something we almost bit on; probably was fine, but 30 days to test, then return isn't a 2-year warranty. Glad everyone who could, snagged two. Cheers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!