What's new

Replacement for rt ax56u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pattox

Regular Contributor
In march, @merlin foreshadowed the possibility that merlin fw 388.2 may be the last available for this router. If I were to replace this router with another that was likely to be supported by merlin over the longer term which would be the best choice?
Just to add, the rt ax56u meets all my needs perfectly so its not the functionality but only the longer term merlin support that is the concern.

Last edited:
If you want more freedom running custom scripts with Asuswrt-Merlin you have to get 1GB RAM model. The cheapest one is RT-AX86U.

If you want more freedom running custom scripts with Asuswrt-Merlin you have to get 1GB RAM model. The cheapest one is RT-AX86U.
Thanks, what I have fill my needs perfectly. What I'm concerned about is the possible/likely? loss of merlin firmware support. Merlin has indicated that this router may not be supported any longer.
If this support stops, I will buy another merlin supported router; one which is most likely to continue having merlin support for the longest period into the future. In other words I don't want to buy a replacement which itself will not be supported for very long.

So to repeat, if I were to replace this router with another that was likely to be supported by merlin over the longer term which would be the best choice?

most likely to continue having merlin support for the longest period

Get a popular supported model and hope for the best. No one can predict the future. Asus may change management and people in charge may decide they have no interest in this project anymore. RMerlin may decide enough is enough. The project may end the day after you purchase a new router. It may continue for 10 more years. We have developers moving away and new ones getting engaged. Use what's available and enjoy while it lasts.

Wait to replace until there are security issues that won't be fixed.

What Asuswrt-Merlin features are you using?

Thanks. On reflection that is my thinking too. i.e. wait until it actually becomes a real problem and then monitor security issues and review options.

DNS filter/director and security are the important features for me. I understand Merlin's is the only firmware with DNS Director/Filter feature.

Look: LAN - DHCP Server

Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-03 014443.png

I tried this but it doesn't work as a dns filter. Irrespective of whatever alternative dns is specified, the dns actually used is still the default router dns.