What's new

Reset to solve various problems.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lofgents

New Around Here
Asus AC86u firmware 386.10
I have a variety of problems with this router which a factory reset from the admin menu has not resolved.
Wan port 1 is showing 100 Mbs using Lan 1 as a wan port is 1 Gbs
I have to keep logging back into the router even though the log out is disabled.
I am unable to delete the history of speed tests from the Adaptive QOS Intenet speed tests
There are other various entries which remain from previous inputs.
I have tried the factory rest twice after installing the latest firmware, I have seen various opinions on resetting but am unsure which method to use as some may be old and no longer useful.
Is there a procedure to follow to restore the router and clear these errors.

Thank you for reading and any assistance would be welcome.

For the RT-AC86U, try a "hard factory reset" if you haven't done so already:
[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

Couple of standard/basic suggestions.
  • After the hard factory reset, reconfigure the router manually.
  • Do not import a saved router CFG (configuration) file that was previously exported when doing a hard factory reset.
  • If you have a USB hard drive attached to the router's USB port. Remove the USB hard drive prior to doing a hard factory reset and do not reconnect it until you have fully setup the router.
  • After a hard factory reset it may take the router some time to "settle down".

For the RT-AC86U, try a "hard factory reset" if you haven't done so already:
[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

Couple of standard/basic suggestions.
  • After the hard factory reset, reconfigure the router manually.
  • Do not import a saved router CFG (configuration) file that was previously exported when doing a hard factory reset.
  • If you have a USB hard drive attached to the router's USB port. Remove the USB hard drive prior to doing a hard factory reset and do not reconnect it until you have fully setup the router.
  • After a hard factory reset it may take the router some time to "settle down".
Thank you I will try this and report back.

And if a single reset doesn't fix your issue, try doing the reset in multiple ways, including flashing (and re-flashing) the same firmware you want to use too as this sometimes helps.

Fully Reset Router and Network

As for: Wan port 1 is showing 100 Mbs using Lan 1 as a wan port is 1 Gbs

It is possible that you are using a faulty cable and suggest to try (or swap) another one (I had a similar problem with my old RT-AC86U router.

As for: Wan port 1 is showing 100 Mbs using Lan 1 as a wan port is 1 Gbs

It is possible that you are using a faulty cable and suggest to try (or swap) another one (I had a similar problem with my old RT-AC86U router.

This is likely the case. Or negotiation is set to 10/100 or the device itself only has 100mbps port which is common on devices like tv’s.

Thanks for the information.
Some partial success, the log out problem is fixed.
Still was unable to delete the history of speed tests from the Adaptive QOS Internet speed tests. So I decided to Format JFFS partition at next boot from the Admin/System tab and the history is now cleared.
The Wan port is still at 100 Mbps and I know the cable is good as I can enable Lan 1 as Wan port and it shows 1Gb, this must be a hardware error on the router itself.
I will test some more and see if any more errors occur.