What's new

Upgraded to BT Full Fibre but not seeing full bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dandle

Regular Contributor
Hi,

A bit of a strange one here. So I was recently upgraded to BT Full FIbre (500/70) where I more or less get the full speed when using the supplied BT Smart Hub 2, however on my Asus AC68U using the latest Merlin firmware version 386.10 , I'm not getting anything more than 130-150 Mbit download (though I do get the full 70 Mbit upload)

I've tried various things to see if it would help such as rebooting the router, factory reset, making sure QoS is turned off etc. Not really sure what else to check at this point. I've tried with both Wireless devices and a Wired machine using a CAT5e cable. I don't think there's an issue with the cabling as I get around the full speed when using the ISP supplied router which I do not want to use as I want to continue using the Asus. I'd have thought the Asus to be the better router here. I'm sure it is.

So yeah, I would really appreciate any help or insight here.

Thanks!

I'd have thought the Asus to be the better router here. I'm sure it is.

No, your Asus router is 10-years old with slower CPU and older radios compared to Smart Hub 2. Your Asus has more firmware features though and can do 500/70, but you have to be careful what's enabled in firmware. You also have to watch extremely limited NVRAM on AC68U running 386.10 firmware.

I also wouldn't be going out and buying anything else right now. The smart hub 3 is being released in hopefully a month or so. I'd wait to get more info on that since it will be free on a recontract.

No, your Asus router is 10-years old with slower CPU and older radios compared to Smart Hub 2. Your Asus has more firmware features though and can do 500/70, but you have to be careful what's enabled in firmware. You also have to watch extremely limited NVRAM on AC68U running 386.10 firmware.

Thanks for the response. Good point. I guess because of the plethroa of features it has over the BT Smart Hub 2, I immediately thought it to be better spec wise. I guess perhaps that's not the case but feature wise, I think it should be. So are there any particular features I could safely go ahead and disable? I do also run a few scripts such as Diversion, Skynet. I take it these might tax the router too.

If I can help it, I'd rather not go ahead and purchase a replacement router at least not right now, but if I did, what would be a good modern equivelant of the AC68U that won't become out of date anytime soon?

You can use your Asus router for features, but BT provided device has 4x4 AC Wave 2 5GHz radio and you may find it better even in Wi-Fi.

I would replace RT-AC68U with same form factor RT-AX86U or RT-AX86U Pro. It's one of the most popular models around, Pro is the newer version.

You can use your Asus router for features, but BT provided device has 4x4 AC Wave 2 5GHz radio and you may find it better even in Wi-Fi.

I would replace RT-AC68U with same form factor RT-AX86U or RT-AX86U Pro. It's one of the most popular models around, Pro is the newer version.
Interesting. I'll keep the AX68U in mind, thanks!

How would I go about still using the Asus for the usual features as well as continue to use scripts such as Diversion, Skynet etc? I guess put the Asus in Access Point mode and the Smart Hub 2 as the main Router connected to the ONT box?

I'll keep the AX68U in mind, thanks!

No, avoid RT-AX68U. Look for RT-AX86U (Pro). Careful with similar model numbers. This one:

1682115620380.png

How would I go about still using the Asus for the usual features

ISP device in bridge mode (as modem only) or if not possible - Asus in double NAT behind the ISP device.

I guess put the Asus in Access Point mode and the Smart Hub 2 as the main Router connected to the ONT box?

No, your Asus has to be in Router mode. In AP Mode you lose all routing related features. No routing in AP Mode.

ISP device in bridge mode (as modem only) or if not possible - Asus in double NAT behind the ISP device.

No, your Asus has to be in Router mode. In AP Mode you lose all routing related features. No routing in AP Mode.

Oh. So my Asus router will continue to function as it is now with the usual routing functionalities, features, scripts etc, but the BT Smart Hub 2 will instead connect to the WAN port on the ONT box. Do I have that right? In terms of devices, do I connect them to the BT Smart Hub 2 instead?

Your BT device (WAN) connected to the ONT in modem/router mode, Wi-Fi disabled. Your Asus router (WAN) connected to the BT device (LAN), Wi-Fi enabled. You connect your devices to the Asus router only. If you need port forwarding for some services (like OpenVPN server), stop by and ask for extra help - it's possible and easy. If your BT device has bridge mode (as modem only) - this is the preferred way. I'm not familiar with BT service though and if they allow bypassing their equipment. You perhaps can get more information on this on BT support forums. You can use Diversion, but Skynet won't do much behind another firewall unless you want to limit your access outbound with Skynet. You perhaps don't need Skynet anyway.

but you have to be careful what's enabled in firmware. You also have to watch extremely limited NVRAM on AC68U running 386.10 firmware.
To help the OP out, what shouldn't they enable in the firmware?

If the OP is having low NVRAM issues they should consider using the 386.11 Alpha1 firmware that helps free up a little bit of that NVRAM.

To help the OP out, what shouldn't they enable in the firmware?

We never got to this. Let them do the connections first and we'll figure it out depending on the information provided.

I wouldn't recommend the use of Alpha1 firmware in production. It's a firmware intended for testing with no support.

Hi,

A bit of a strange one here. So I was recently upgraded to BT Full FIbre (500/70) where I more or less get the full speed when using the supplied BT Smart Hub 2, however on my Asus AC68U using the latest Merlin firmware version 386.10 , I'm not getting anything more than 130-150 Mbit download (though I do get the full 70 Mbit upload)

I've tried various things to see if it would help such as rebooting the router, factory reset, making sure QoS is turned off etc. Not really sure what else to check at this point. I've tried with both Wireless devices and a Wired machine using a CAT5e cable. I don't think there's an issue with the cabling as I get around the full speed when using the ISP supplied router which I do not want to use as I want to continue using the Asus. I'd have thought the Asus to be the better router here. I'm sure it is.

So yeah, I would really appreciate any help or insight here.

Thanks!

First downgrade to 386.7_2. Factory reset after (using WPS button). As of now that's the latest stable version for AC68U. .9 and .10 have issues with NVRAM.
Do not enable AiProtection, QOS, Parental controls, etc. Start with a totally barebones config.

Test from a wired computer. That router should be able to get 500M without any features enabled, though it does depend a bit on which revision the router is, I think they all can do it as long as nothing is enabled.

If you can get the speed on wired but not wireless then that's a different discussion, there are things to tweak there such as disabling universal beamforming on both bands.

Diversion and skynet may be your culprits. Add things one at a time and see how it performs. Whatever you do, don't use the router's built in speed test, always test from a wired PC.

Just an FYI... I moved from Virgin (hoorah!) to BT Full FIbre (500/70) a few months back. I never even tried their Smart Hub, I plugged straight into my RT-AC68U (386.10).

On the router speed test I've never gone above 320 Mbps, upload always a solid 70. My desktop is connected via Wifi and in a browser speedtest I can get 400+ Mbps (BT only guarantee 420 anyway). Similar speed when downloading with Steam.

Which, coincidentally brings me to....

No, avoid RT-AX68U. Look for RT-AX86U (Pro). Careful with similar model numbers.

This is the router I've been looking at this week. Amazon UK [link] are really confusing me though as they have, on the same page as options, an RT-AX86U Pro (AX5700 Gaming Pro) for £262.99 and an RT-AX86U (AX5700 Gaming 2.5G Port) for £292.21. The only difference I can gather from the page itself is the first has 1 x USB 3 and 1 x USB 2 ports and the second has 2 x USB 3 ports. This is only from the pictures of the back of the units though. Surely the Pro should have 2 x USB 3 ports?

Can anyone clarify what's what there?

Cheers.

Last edited:
First downgrade to 386.7_2. Factory reset after (using WPS button). As of now that's the latest stable version for AC68U. .9 and .10 have issues with NVRAM.
Do not enable AiProtection, QOS, Parental controls, etc. Start with a totally barebones config.

Test from a wired computer. That router should be able to get 500M without any features enabled, though it does depend a bit on which revision the router is, I think they all can do it as long as nothing is enabled.

If you can get the speed on wired but not wireless then that's a different discussion, there are things to tweak there such as disabling universal beamforming on both bands.

Diversion and skynet may be your culprits. Add things one at a time and see how it performs. Whatever you do, don't use the router's built in speed test, always test from a wired PC.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've never downgraded a Merlin firmware version before. How would I go about the process and are there risks involved of potentially bricking the router if it goes wrong?

@routeraround B0BHF291D8 is the RT-AX86U Pro

The £292.21 is the RT-AX86U but it's preowned. The price is just from when someone bought it at Amazon when it was £300+ and their system does not update the price to reflect current market.

I wasn't a fan of the RT-AX86U Pro though. It had worse range in my testing (about 20 foot worse) than the much cheaper RT-AX82U. It also had trouble keeping legacy 2.4 Ghz devices connected. I also had this weird bug that if you connect an ethernet cable it has a random chance to confgiure itself to 10Mbps (never happened on anything else). Unfortunately it seems like Asus has discontinued the RT-AX86U in the UK. If you do still want to get the Pro version it's routinely on sale for £210.99. The current £262 is really bad.

If you're willing to not wait for the Smart Hub 3 launch and can put down £262 you may aswell get the RT-AX88U Pro as it's only about £40 more and much better range: https://dongknows.com/asus-rt-ax88u-pro-review/

Else the GT-AX6000 (also better) is £270 on routine sale.

Can anyone clarify what's what there?

RT-AX86U Pro is the newer model with upgraded hardware. This router will receive Pro firmware, currently in Beta.

Pro version indeed has 1x USB 3.2 + 1x USB 2.0 ports, but it's the better router with the fastest currently available hardware.

I'm also moving to an AX86 Pro based on Tech9's advice once you can find one in Canada and at a price that doesn't take away your first born! Anyway I had the exact same issue with Bell Fibe (1.5Gb/1Gb) using my AC-68U which was driving me nuts for over a month ( 2 years ago). The speeds were super slow at 4-500Mb download but the upload was perfect at 930-950. What worked for me was doing a complete wipe of the router twice once from the GUI to get it back to a normal state and once using RESET button while powering on and restore firmware fresh using the asus restoration utility. I went through the wizard and setup the PPPOE creds for pass-through and did nothing else...I even bypassed the WIFI setup. Hooked up my laptop and bingo 950/950 consistently. I went through each basic setup after that on the router ensuring that Level 1 CTF was always enabled and testing speeds after each step. As an FYI I'm running John's latest beta fork which works extremely well and although it's older firmware from last August I have nothing open to the outside world other than OpenVPN. Anyway hope this helps as this was the only way I got it going at full speeds.

Last edited:
You guys can check for GT-AX6000 model as well. If you have the space for it (very large), can live with the way it looks or can survive the wife attacks - it has 2x 2.5GbE ports and the same hardware as RT-AX86U Pro inside. It comes on sale often close and even below RT-AX86U Pro price.

1682172637860.png

There is even a special model for... I don't know who, blind people perhaps:

1682172756517.png

You guys can check for GT-AX6000 model as well. If you have the space for it (very large), can live with the way it looks or can survive the wife attacks - it has 2x 2.5GbE ports and the same hardware as RT-AX86U Pro inside. It comes on sale often close and even below RT-AX86U Pro price.

View attachment 49532

There is even a special model for... I don't know who, blind people perhaps:

View attachment 49533

OMG I saw this at Canada Computers with my wife and that was a hard NO on her part. I have to tell you it is one butt ugly unit that would take up way too much space in the wiring closet shelf in our condo. The AX-86U Pro is much easier on the eyes and way less space required...as you said hardware is virtually identical but finding one in the GTA or anywhere in Canada at a decent price is the current issue. I'll just be patient and let the old 68U chug along like she's done flawlessly for the last number of years until the Pro becomes more plentiful. She's got a fan blowing on her to keep it nice and cool since it's overclocked in NVRAM :)

If you don't really need any of the upcoming Pro firmware features you can get one RT-AX86U when on sale. It's popular and will do the same thing for you. More than enough for a condo. It's CAD300 at the moment, but I've seen it cheaper. If you don't plan running Asuswrt-Merlin with heavy scripts on it - there is a cheaper RT-AX86S version. I've got one months ago for CAD180 on sale. I agree on GT-AX6000. I was holding one in my hands exactly at Canada Computers store and wondering what this thing is. There are open box GT-AX6000 available often - perhaps some didn't survive the initial shock. :)

There is a better looking RT-AX88U Pro model now, but still quite large unit. Also the same hardware as GT-AX6000 with minor differences.

1682175545980.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!