What's new

Restrict access to LAN devices from VPN connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsteinm1

Occasional Visitor
Looking to get some best practices for securly setting up access to a database that I have running on my local network that I need a few others to be able to access as well. I use an ASUS RT-AC86U with Merlin firmware and I'm thinking the best way to set this up is to setup the OpenVPN server for them to connect to. However, I want to make sure they are absolutely restricted to only this database and cannot access other devices on my LAN. How can I set this up on an ASUS router, if it can do it? Or if I need to add something else (like a firewall) I'm open to doing so, to keep this all secure.

You could probably do this using OpenVPN and custom firewall rules in openvpnserver1.postconf. Of course that might not stop them from hijacking your database server and jumping onto your LAN from there. ;) Does you database use a specific port that you could restrict them to?

You could probably do this using OpenVPN and custom firewall rules in openvpnserver1.postconf. Of course that might not stop them from hijacking your database server and jumping onto your LAN from there. ;) Does you database use a specific port that you could restrict them to?
Yeah I should be able to limit the to a port or two. I'll look in to this.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!