What's new

Roaming betweenm AX58U (AX3000) and RP-AX58 (Aimesh)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barkmarkin

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I recently got an rp-ax58 on sale for my bedroom area. I have a pixel 7 pro and the mrs has a 14 pro max, When I walk into the bedroom the phone connects to the access point but when I walk back into the living room it still insists on being connected to the bedroom AP, It doesnt connect back to the main router for some reason, I tried roaming assistant etc made no difference, my girlfriend doesnt have the same problem. I am using ethernet backhaul. and the 2.4 and 5ghz bands have different SSID .

The client decides when to attach or detach..
you can try to force a change by reducing transmit power or adjusting several settings in in the AP.

a wireless AP / router in one bedroom is likely too much RF power. It will create reflections unless the power is turned down . You should also turn off the 2.4 GHz radios

Last edited:
The client decides when to attach or detach..
you can try to force a change by reducing transmit power or adjusting several settings in in the AP.

a wireless AP / router in one bedroom is likely too much RF power. It will create reflections unless the power is turned down . You should also turn off the 2.4 GHz radios
I dont know if you can individually change transmit power with aimesh if so how do i do that without turning transmit power down in the living room router

The Roaming Assistant setting is in Wireless > Professional and it's a pretty blunt tool. When it kicks in you'll get a flurry of:
Aug 8 15:35:54 roamast: sta[MAC addr] on ap[MAC addr], rcpi is 66 and rssi is -77
followed by
Aug 8 15:35:54 roamast: determine candidate node [MAC addr](rssi: -62dbm) for client [MAC addr](rssi: -75dbm from client)(rssi: -76dbm from ap) to roam
Aug 8 15:35:54 roamast: Roam a client [MAC addr], status [0]
Aug 8 15:35:55 roamast: [EXAP]Deauth old sta in 1 0: MAC addr
Aug 8 15:35:55 roamast: eth7: disconnect weak signal strength station [MAC addr]
Aug 8 15:35:56 roamast: eth7: remove client [MAC addr] from monitor list

Here at least with the GT-AX6000 and an RP-AX58 it probably only fires off a few times per day, and any kind of streaming you'll not notice. If for some unknown reason you allow the WiFi printer to switch nodes it'll halt the print job when the switch goes through!

Also do you think for a 1000mbps ftth 2 bedroom apartment an ax58u and RPax,58 is enough or should I switch up my.main router? İ only had issues in furthest reaches of house such as bathroom at the master bedroom etc, i don't run many wireless clients my gaming setup is wired etc so for my pixel 7 pro and gf`s 14 pro max it'd be enough right?

Does changing roaming assistant or transmit power in pro settings affect the rpax58 or does it have any separate secret menu to allow for it

If you turn down the power on the router the RP-AX58 will follow suit, there's no individual setting. It does seem to act somewhat differently than a router in AiMesh mode though, such as we've seen it with no 5GHz devices connected advertise as just having a 10MHz band, while the router is happily using 160MHz!
Generally, it's a set-and-forget device, though I've my two Netatmo thermostats bound to it, along with one security camera and a smart socket. The device bound to the main router is the printer (as previously mentioned). Other devices can freely connect to it, but unless they're close by when they're woken up they actually don't. Additional latency when connected though it is mostly just 1ms, occasionally 2ms or greater. I have no problem playing CS on my laptop when connected through the RP-AX58!

I don't believe the RT-AX58U is enough hardware for a 1Gbps symmetrical ISP connection. Neither is the much better RT-AX68U.

If you need a repeater in a two-bedroom apartment, your main router is not placed optionally, or simply not powerful enough.

I don't believe the RT-AX58U is enough hardware for a 1Gbps symmetrical ISP connection. Neither is the much better RT-AX68U.

If you need a repeater in a two-bedroom apartment, your main router is not placed optionally, or simply not powerful enough.
I'm using both as access points but I live in Turkey where wifi is eu standards so it doesn't transmit at high enough power for 5ghz to reach all the way back to the master bedroom bathroom etc it is a large 2 bedroom and it's placed optimally but this is the best that can be done. ISP doesn't let you use a different router or put it into bridge mode so this is best i can do it is 1000down 100up ftth and walls are concrete

Last edited: